Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Military simulation (from Su-15 Screenshots)

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Military simulation (from Su-15 Screenshots)

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:21 am

Sorry, you're getting incoherent again.
Thorsten

Postby vitos » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:13 am

Beginning of that topic, December 2015:

As for the missile work, you may not be aware of it, but there's a consensus among the core contributors that FG is supposed to be a civilian simulator, so weapons support by and large faces a hard time being committed.

Official FlightGear Newsletter August 2010:

AIM-9 Sidewinders on the F-14B Tomcat

Guided missiles are now available for the Grumman F-14B Tomcat in Git. At the moment, only AIM-9s are functional. They lock on the nearest MP or AI target, like in the SEAM mode (Sidewinder Expanded Acquisition Mode) and they follow a constant angle trajectory. When used with Bombable script they have a quite certain effect on the Zeros. When used against an MP aircraft, you will only see the missile explosion and a message with the hit range can be displayed through MP. The author, Xiii, would like to add this feature to the A-10 and maybe the f16 which both use the same nasal framework. But it may take a long-long time. (And don't forget to read the f-14b README.help prior to use the Sidewinders!)

https://mirror.yandex.ru/mirrors/ftp.fl ... -14b_:.zip 17-Aug-2011 16:21 10M

print("FOX2: me.direct_dist_m = ", me.direct_dist_m, " time ",getprop("sim/time/elapsed-sec"));
impact_report(me.t_coord, wh_mass, "missile"); # pos, alt, mass_slug,(speed_mps)
var phrase = sprintf("%01.0f", me.direct_dist_m) ~ "meters";
if (getprop("sim/model/f-14b/systems/armament/mp-messaging")) {
setprop("/sim/multiplay/chat", phrase);
} else {
setprop("/sim/messages/atc", phrase);
}

Official FlightGear Newsletter November 2014:

Scripted AI objects

For a long time, one of the popular requests has been to have more combat-related features in FlightGear. Although FlightGear is not a combat simulator, this has, at least partly, been made possible by the Bombable add-on. However, work has begun on a new framework that will enable easy creation of scripted AI objects using Nasal. This work, although available for scripts such as tanker.nas, will also be used for a more generic AI missile framework

Official FlightGear Newsletter July 2017:

KC-137R got soon included in OPRF's approved planes as me and Josh kept working on it for the rest of the year with some pauses in between, adding stunning features and variants. I progressed fast in fighting with the OPRF guys, and soon reached the rank of Lt. Colonel by flying mostly F-15s and for winning monthly events. With Josh I got involved in further aircraft projects and decided to build my own VIP plane the C-32J, inspired by other people having their own. Some time before the Fall Festival, I had an accident with FGUK which led me to have a break from them in order to settle down. I decided to join back on Xmas day flying to EGOD with my C-32J. Finally 2017 arrived and so my 18th birthday, and I so bought myself a new decent Motorola smartphone which improved my FG experience a lot. Soon after I was promoted to Colonel rank in OPRF.

Official FlightGear Newsletter October 2018:

Thanks to the work Necolatis did on the f16, the generic weapons systems is now on the mirage 2000 and this allows more realistic weapons.

Waste of time: too unprofitable for work, too exhausting for hobby.
vitos

Callsign: vitos
IRC name: vitos
Version: 3.4

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:32 am

Sorry, is there a point to this collection apart to show that the Wiki is a place everyone can edit and that OPRF is not representing the FG core team?
Thorsten

Postby vitos » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:39 am

As practice shows, discussion will end at another lie, then after time someone third will come with some joke, and it will pass to the bottom with it. I said all I had planned to, and did not panned to hear anything, as heard everything needed for conclusion long ago. So, let it be that way.
vitos

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:47 am

So, let it be that way.

I wish you'd let your words follow actions. It's all been explained nicely and with all the caveats at the beginning of this very thread (which you somehow failed to read or opted to ignore) - what exactly was the point of the revival of this thread?

Just let things be - if you're unhappy with the way things worked out, do something you enjoy, have a life - don't hang out in the places that are so disappointing for you!
Thorsten

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:53 pm

vitos wrote in Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:13 am:
Official FlightGear Newsletter July 2017:

KC-137R got soon included in OPRF's approved planes as me and Josh kept working on it for the rest of the year with some pauses in between, adding stunning features and variants. I progressed fast in fighting with the OPRF guys, and soon reached the rank of Lt. Colonel by flying mostly F-15s and for winning monthly events. With Josh I got involved in further aircraft projects and decided to build my own VIP plane the C-32J, inspired by other people having their own. Some time before the Fall Festival, I had an accident with FGUK which led me to have a break from them in order to settle down. I decided to join back on Xmas day flying to EGOD with my C-32J. Finally 2017 arrived and so my 18th birthday, and I so bought myself a new decent Motorola smartphone which improved my FG experience a lot. Soon after I was promoted to Colonel rank in OPRF.

May I ask what does my personal story about FlightGear have to do with all that has been discussed till now? What you've got against OPRF having major events on a PRIVATE MP server if it doesn't bother you because you can't even be aware of it happening unless you read about it somewhere? Is it that people can't plan and do things they want to use FG to their enjoyment since it's a "Fly free" simulator?
Oh, and the fact that I was 18 at that time (now nearing 21) is something bad? I really don't get it.
If you have issues with certain people fine, I couldn't care the less. We can't all be friends after all, despite some of us may try to do so. But if don't have issues with other people, then why bringing them up to point out something which had no real coherence in the multiple quotes post you did?
Come on.
Regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby vitos » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:06 pm

J Maverick 16 wrote in Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:53 pm:May I ask what does my personal story about FlightGear have to do with all that has been discussed till now?

I thought it's quit clear: author of that topic said, that

As for the missile work, you may not be aware of it, but there's a consensus among the core contributors that FG is supposed to be a civilian simulator

which highly contradicts with fact that information of someone had proposed to virtual Colonel range is presented at official Flight Gear newsletter. Just same as other mentioned facts, which occur after, and, more important, prior that topic at all.

All these facts are proving, that simulator is not that civil; it's more simulator where You could be shot by committed missile, while Your missile, by which You would answer at this, would not be committed.

It seems that You are concentrated at Your person enough to not see anything else.
Last edited by vitos on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vitos

Postby GinGin » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:19 pm

It is a split topic , first author is not the one who began an endless discussion

Mod note: This topic was split off from the "Su-15 Screenshots" topic, and refers to some comments in that topic)
GinGin

Callsign: Gingin

Postby vitos » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 pm

Well, if You want to put end to something, put end to something Yours.

And it does not matter who started when someone just lying.
vitos

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:28 pm

vitos wrote in Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:06 pm:
As for the missile work, you may not be aware of it, but there's a consensus among the core contributors that FG is supposed to be a civilian simulator

which highly contradicts with fact that information of someone had proposed to virtual Colonel range is presented at official Flight Gear newsletter. Just same as other mentioned facts. It seems that You are concentrated at Your person enough to not see anything else.

Well, OPRF has a ranking system, I was given that rank. Plain and simple. I mentioned it among other things in a forum topic explaining my experience and story with FG. I was asked to share that story on the monthly newsletter as it could have been of interest fo readers, which is what I later did. Again plain and simple.
But, you are extrapolating texts and throwing them out of context to justify I don't know what kind of silly idea you have in your mind accusing whoever you find fitting for you. I have no idea what you are trying to achieve right now with this but if you're happy with it, fine.
I'm not even gonna reply to the ego comment you did because I don't find it worth it and I don't even care about starting an argument with you.
People sometimes forget this is a simulation and not real life.
Regards, Mav

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
J Maverick 16

Postby vitos » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:32 pm

Well You was asked, no edit was made, and it's official newsletter. it means FG community approved OPRF, since that, and other mentioned facts, it's not civil.
vitos

Postby wlbragg » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:34 pm

I wonder, is it possible the core group that were less than ambitions about having military concepts as part of the standard FG repository had a change of heart after realizing the demand for such capability continued to grow. Rather than vigorously fighting it they simply took a back seat and allowed it to develop if others wished to pursue it. I really don't see any conspiracy, possible only a change in attitude, even if reluctantly. I also see that developers reuse GPL code at will if it suits their need, I think that is the way it is supposed to work. I have no issues if someone wants to use anything GPL that I create, for any reason. I understood the concept of GPL and singed up for it. I think one could manufacture a conspiracy out of anything if one so desires. Bottom line though, it's suppose to be a fun hobby and when it no longer is, maybe it is just time to walk away.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby vitos » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:39 pm

wlbragg wrote in Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:34 pm:I wonder, is it possible the core group that were less than ambitions about having military concepts as part of the standard FG repository had a change of heart after realizing the demand for such capability continued to grow.

As it mentioned at my message, quoting Newsletter and source code, fox2.nas missile, spamming at common mp chat, is committed into F-14, which is base package aircraft, since 2010. I suppose matter is not what is weapon and what is not, but who is proposing commitment - "our guy" or "wrong dude".
vitos

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:44 pm

vitos wrote in Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:32 pm:Well You was asked, no edit was made, and it's official newsletter.

Oh so now you are talking about censorship? Well if everything should be checked and deleted if not found complying with certain dictated standards then we all should live in a world not too far-fetched than George Orwell's "1984".
Regards, Mav

J Maverick 16

Postby vitos » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:49 pm

Well, I suppose, if that is civil simulator, than no code of weapon is at models it's provided on itself, and no advertisement mentioning of aside third-party military groups or code at official newsletter at least.

If other, then it's not true what it's civil.

This or that. I am about absence of any third way, not about military stuff really. It's just example.

And, about who started, it's not me who made first shot at someone at multyplayer way it was visible to anyone near - someone being shot including - not one made such code first, not one committed that code into base package, and not one who did wrote about that at official newsletter.

And not one lied that simulator is civil after all this.
vitos

PreviousNext

Return to The FlightGear project