Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

How to publish self-developed add on for MPS

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

How to publish self-developed add on for MPS

Postby keltox » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:26 am

Hi everyone,

I looked across the topics but couldnt find anything about publishing self-developed add ons.
I would like to publish a DIS-Interface for the Multiplayer Server.
Is there any public GitHubs of FlightGear for add ons, where everyone can redistribute his own work?
Or should I feel free to commit my version in any web-repositories?

Many thanks for your support!

BR

Emir!
keltox

Re: How to publish self-developed add on for MPS

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:55 am

The general idea of FG development is that by and large there shouldn't be any officially supported true addons (short of the aircraft collection which is technically an addon) - developments useful to the project should directly be merged into the official repositories such as to ensure compatibility (which you usually don't have on addon collections - supposedly managing addons for FSX is a mess).

Thus, the usual way to proceed would be to create your clone of the repository you need (probably FGData) and present your work as a merge request or a patch for review (compatibility, possibility of breakage of other things,...) Or, if you don't comfortable with repository magic, contact someone who has commit rights and present your patch as *,zip (or any other format

You can alternatively host your work as addon on any website of your choice and retain full control over it - that's neither endorsed nor discouraged by the FG project.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:03 pm

DIS is unlikely to be fgdata only, so will almost certainly affect C++ code in SG/FG (or both), unless there's a middleware being used that acts as the bridge between fgms/fg
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby stuart » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi Emir,

I'm guessing you've got a DIS-based simulation and you want to place it within the FG MP environment and reflect that environment back into your DIS-based simulation?

I'm currently doing something in a similar area by integrating FG with HLA, with the eventual aim of splitting the various FG components out into separate FG Federates. Depending on what you already have in your DIS-simulation, and whether that is also able to work in a HLA environment, you may be able to plug your simulation directly into FG in the (possibly distant!) future. One of the pieces I will be working on will be a HLA/MP proxy.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Return to The FlightGear project