Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Downloading aircraft

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Downloading aircraft

Postby Thefan630 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:04 pm

So, I'll try to keep it as short and clear as possible. Before terrasync, you'd have to torrent or download the scenery (or all of it like I once did, over 12Gbs). It's been a main step forward and now I don't need to download the scenery anymore. I just spawn or fly where I want and I'll have it and it's up to date.

Sadly I'm afraid it isn't the same with Aircraft. But I don't wanna spend the whole night clicking every mirror to download the over 300 available aircraft. Even then I wouldn't get all of them because there are some made by other hangars. I know there's an option to download aircraft from other players over MP, but even when I enable it it doesn't really work.

Has support for the Torrents been dropped since 3.0? Are there any other ways? Will 3.6 fix this so that we can get automatic aircraft and scenery download?
Thefan630
Thefan630

Callsign: BRT0185/LFSB-TW
Version: 2016.1

Re: Downloading aircraft

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:52 pm

You can use FGMEMBERS or FGADDON -- for FGMEMBERS you can do a once off update (really large) or one by one.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby bugman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:41 pm

There is infrastructure being worked on for the future FlightGear 4 release. See the draft of the official FlightGear roadmap which will soon be published. The relevant text is:

Complete implementation of a package manager, allowing aircraft to be downloaded and loaded in-sim. This will improve ease of use and deployment primarily for home enthusiasts.

This means that you'll be able to download aircraft in-sim from not only the official FGAddon aircraft repository but also from all of the renowned private hangars that provide an aircraft catalogue (as an appropriately formatted XML file). These will only be the stable aircraft releases matching your current FG release.

Regards,

Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:26 pm

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:53 pm

So wait till 4.0 or load now planes from FGMEMBERs ...
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Thorsten » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:59 pm

So wait till 4.0 or load now planes from FGMEMBERs ...

... with no apparent version control and the possibility of the aircraft being mangled by weird merging strategies.
Thorsten

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:42 pm

Well, given, that FGMEMBERs has more and the most actual planes in many cases while your gatekeeper strategy failed with FGADDON, I would say, you look pretty sad with your little propaganda tricks, Thorsten. By the way, we flew on Saturday the USA Tour with 24 planes at the peak. FGMEMBERs enabled us to get all the different planes to every participant in the last 15 minutes before it started. So, FGMEMBERS is proven to be working.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY

Postby Johan G » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:33 pm

It is hardly his strategy alone, and there is more to success than commit access and easy downloads... though only time will tell, I guess.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G

Postby Thorsten » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:26 pm

I would say, you look pretty sad with your little propaganda tricks, Thorsten..

Ah. I said beforehand I see the danger that you end up with no version control and planes not compatible with the official maintained version and endless confusion. I discover after the fact that precisely that happened - with the only (!) aircraft I maintain - getting a bug report referring to a version which I never created.

It's called 'having been right' rather than 'propaganda'.

Well, given, that FGMEMBERs has more and the most actual planes in many cases

Well, defaulting to devel versions which aren't flight-tested isn't the most clever of strategies either - having the most recent version usually means having the most recent bugs. There's a virtue in releasing stable versions, you know?

As for 'more' - yeah, a repository which doesn't respect contributors and just grabs whatever content possible and even violates copyright on the premises that people won't go through the trouble of a court case can offer more than a repository which publishes content only with the consent of developers. For some people, thats's apparently something to be proud of - not for me. If you believe that has anything to do with the spirit of the FG project, you're grossly wrong.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:00 pm

While I agree ablut the version control, I do say that claiming copyright violation is going a bit far.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Johan G » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:19 pm

Jabberwocky wrote in Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:42 pm:Well, given, that FGMEMBERs has more and the most actual planes in many cases

Thorsten wrote in Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:26 pm:As for 'more' - yeah, a repository which doesn't respect contributors and just grabs whatever content possible and even violates copyright on the premises that people won't go through the trouble of a court case can offer more than a repository which publishes content only with the consent of developers.

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:00 pm:... claiming copyright violation is going a bit far.

That discussion is better continued at The GNU GPL license and unwritten rules of curtesy.

Edit: Two following posts where moved there. Should have done that right away...
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G

Return to The FlightGear project