Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Impression of FlightGear

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Impression of FlightGear

Postby japreja » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:13 am

hamzaalloush wrote in Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:43 am:i don't think the hollywood style trailer and props is a good theme for advertising flightgear.

as in FG, it must be made in "what you see is what you get", a video with a theme showing how flightgear can be customizable with different features, like the built-in instruction station, flight tracking web interface, easy and free multi player integration with the sim using provided servers, our excellent terrain out-of-the-box(better than FSX), visuals based on realism(ALS), great multi-platform performance with lower-end systems, showing example from fsweekend etc etc

Flightgear must appeal to the right crowd if we want to have growing community, not just the casual tester that excpect only great graphics(usually will give negative feedback)

I think the reasoning behind not having a graphicly intensive main page is because some users around the world still have very slow data connections. You don't technicaly need internet access to use flightgear, just to obtain it.

Having a page with everything like that would be nice though. I've tried searches on youtube for howto and flightgear an I don't get very good results. More users should make videos of stuff like how to edit/create content, add new aircraft, etc... then we could use the video to write out a wiki article base on the videos for the users with lower data rates.

If my microphone was not so horrible I would read out the wiki articles and follow the howto's and make them into videos for the faster data users. CamStudio works quite well for this but if FG is run while recording I would turn down the recording FPS to about 10 so higher quality scenery can be enabled.

Who maintains the main site?

@MIG29pilot
From the time you created this topic FG is now listing at #5, gained a position since the June 4th when it was 6th.
japreja

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:25 am

it is amazing how off track things so easily get in some circumstances... in this case SEO... it is a huge game to be played by the best of players... newbies are not welcome and certainly won't get too far with their plays...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby japreja » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:15 am

wkitty42 wrote in Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:25 am:it is amazing how off track things so easily get in some circumstances... in this case SEO... it is a huge game to be played by the best of players... newbies are not welcome and certainly won't get too far with their plays...

I've been using the internet for over 30 years, way before it went public in 1992. I know all the SEO needed to make the site #1. Most big SEO companies only generate tons of hits to sites by scripts and are a total ripoff and scam. FG can do everything totaly free of charge simply by adding those meta tags I posted. It will and does work, then the competitors will have to pay for a #1 position.

Seriously, don't take my word for it, just try it FG admins and you will see. It also helps alot to have the first 2 or 3 kewords at the top, bottom, and middle of the page as well as the title. That keyword in this case is "flightgear". Also getting FG safety rated will be a gigantic boost and basicaly lock the site into #1, from what I've seen so far its a very safe site.

Compiling openssl according to FIPS standards would also be a major pluss for secure site logins and downloads. FG would have to get openssl-fips on CD/DVD directly from NIST for it to be truely FIPS complient. Then FG could technicaly become a CA themselves :wink: Give me control over the main site for a day and I'll do it, but I dont think the devs would give me that privelage, all they realy would have to do is all of the above. Which isn't alot, thats exactly what major SEO companies do for major corporations and its all FREE :D They can make every subdomain of the FG site SSL totaly free in less than a few hours.

lol, i feel like im trying to sell something to FG after clicking preview, but i'm giving it away because I know it will help a ton.
japreja

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:40 am

Who maintains the main site?

Curt is the admin, I can post articles and approve comments. Has to be Curt for any meta-information I think. Perhaps pass him a PM with the suggestions.
Thorsten

Postby japreja » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:42 am

I think he'll get around to seing this topic sometime, he's gotta be extreamly busy with everything. I would feel a bit awkword telling/asking him to do more. I'll give it a few days and if he doesn't post here I'll send a PM about the missing tags. Site admins/owners usualy have a testserver setup to try a few things out on and he may already have it taken care of, just not posted live yet.
japreja

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:14 pm

@ japreja: i do hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way... i certainly wasn't calling you a newbie ;) it was a general statement... i played the SEO game for a while but for my sites, it really isn't needed and they're just a hobby of mine anyway ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby japreja » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:53 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:14 pm:@ japreja: i do hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way... i certainly wasn't calling you a newbie ;) it was a general statement... i played the SEO game for a while but for my sites, it really isn't needed and they're just a hobby of mine anyway ;)

at first glance I guess it could be taken like that, but no thats not what I thought. I actualy thought you were speaking in the sense that the major players in the SEO game didn't take to well to smaller websites encroaching on their keywords. :lol:
japreja

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:44 am

yes, there is that, too :)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project