Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Aircraft download page suggestion

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Aircraft download page suggestion

Postby Red Leader » Tue May 05, 2015 8:38 pm

Hi all,
As many of you know, you can link to specific sections of pages on the wiki (e.g., http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear#Flight_Dynamics_Models). I thought it would be a great improvement to the website if we could link to specific aircraft headers on the aircraft download page (e.g., http://www.flightgear.org/download/aircraft-v3-4/#A-10). The main usage of this would be to link to specific aircraft from infoboxes on the wiki.

To do this, an id attribute would need to be added to the headers (technically <strong> elements) above the aircraft picture on the aircraft download page.

Example:
Code: Select all
<strong id="A-10">A-10</strong>

The only problem is the filter on the aircraft download page; we need a way to either turn it off, or configure it to show all aircraft. That could be done using arguments that are then processed by JavaScript.

I hope you find my suggestion helpful.

Regards,
Red Leader
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

Projects:
BAe Sea Harrier FA2Scripted AI Objects frameworkDocumenting Nasal
Red Leader

Callsign: Red-Led
Version: 2017.3.1

Re: Aircraft download page suggestion

Postby curt » Tue May 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Hi Red Leader,

This is a good suggestion. I think the reason we hesitated in the past is because we weren't sure we could unambiguously guess the wiki page link from the aircraft contents. The download page is all (or mostly) :-) scripted so we'd really just need to figure out the best way guess the wiki page link and we could add that to the script.

Thanks,

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Postby Johan G » Wed May 06, 2015 2:07 pm

@Curt: You may or may not have gotten Red Leader the wrong way around. :wink:
curt wrote in Tue May 05, 2015 9:10 pm:I think the reason we hesitated in the past is because we weren't sure we could unambiguously guess the wiki page link from the aircraft contents.

Red Leader wrote in Tue May 05, 2015 8:38 pm:The main usage of this would be to link to specific aircraft from infoboxes on the wiki.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby curt » Wed May 06, 2015 2:54 pm

Ok, well ... never mind then. :-)

It has been suggested that we create links from the aircraft in the aircraft downloads page over to their respective wiki articles for more information. Perhaps links in both directions would be useful if they could be maintained in a reasonably automated way.

Thanks,

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Postby Hooray » Wed May 06, 2015 4:58 pm

actually, we've been contemplating adding such links to the aircraft-set.xml file to ensuret that aircraft developers can easily help maintain such things, without having to violate "DRY" concepts. PropertyList tags are cheap, and can be easily processed by a server-side php/perl script, so I guess it would be better to add such things there, especially because it would be front-end agnostic, i.e could just as well be used by other front-ends, including external/internal GUIs/launchers.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Johan G » Wed May 06, 2015 5:19 pm

curt wrote in Wed May 06, 2015 2:54 pm:Perhaps links in both directions would be useful if they could be maintained in a reasonably automated way.

Indeed. I think they would be useful.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri May 08, 2015 9:01 pm

@Hooray, Red Leader: What about different variants of the same aircraft in different repositories? How would you handle that? Several links on the same Wiki page?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY

Return to The FlightGear project