Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Google code colse there doors

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Google code colse there doors

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:56 pm

Also
526 repos (one for each 1x1 degree tiles) is not such astronomical digit.

There are almost 620 aircraft repositories in FGMEMBERS alone, and the situation is handled rather comfortably.

If one makes a repo for each tile, the thing will be economical --in terms of efficiency, speed, manageability, modularity, and updateability.

Best
IHCOL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:58 pm

More points.
If we look at the report by Torsten

He indicates 90GB of data, total.
These are not equally distributed in all tiles, but making an approached ponderated mean, we get

90GB/526Tiles = about 200MB average repo size.
Quite comfortable
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:17 am

elgaton wrote in Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:07 pm:In fact, when a user downloads some scenery from TerraSync, (s)he only needs to get the latest version - the SVN "overlay" just does the equivalent of a version check. (I'm skimming through the code right now to see if the SimGear implementation of SVN also guarantees that each tile is atomically updated). Version control is only needed to keep track of the OSM changesets/X-Plane airport IDs used to perform the build (both OSM and the Gateway allow retrieving old data versions given their ID); the only exception could be custom modifications to landcover/elevation data. This should reduce disk space requirements for the scenery repository.

while you're in there, can you see if there's code to resume or restart failed downloads? my DLS gets disconnected at times (really badly after dark) and there's many times that i quite in frustration after having flown many hours only to find the log spewing stuff about no terrain under the craft... i can't recall the exact message but i know that some are looking into the problem... having the ability to resume a transfer would be a huge benefit but i don't know if SVN's protocol supports it or not :?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby elgaton » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:48 am

Checked the code - apparently SimGear syncs one tile at a time and, should the operation fail, the program is set to retry ten minutes later. The code, however, seems not to handle the case where the working copy is locked (normally, a cleanup should be performed in that case).

Regarding download resumption: Subversion (in general) supports it (in the sense that, when an update operation is aborted and later resumed, SVN just needs to get, in their entirety, a) the file that was being downloaded when the operation was aborted and b) all files that were not already downloaded at that time; it's as if all files were atomically updated one at a time). The SimGear code handles that case as well.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm

elgaton wrote in Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:48 am:Checked the code - apparently SimGear syncs one tile at a time and, should the operation fail, the program is set to retry ten minutes later. The code, however, seems not to handle the case where the working copy is locked (normally, a cleanup should be performed in that case).

i think i've noticed this but i've not seen the .svn directory in terrasync managed directories unless i've run terramaster to pull/update that area...

elgaton wrote in Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:48 am:Regarding download resumption: Subversion (in general) supports it (in the sense that, when an update operation is aborted and later resumed, SVN just needs to get, in their entirety, a) the file that was being downloaded when the operation was aborted and b) all files that were not already downloaded at that time; it's as if all files were atomically updated one at a time). The SimGear code handles that case as well.

really weird... i'm watching the fgfs log reporting "Sync taking a long time" messages... the funny thing is that it has been saying that and incrementing the "taken" count by ~10010 each time it reports this... the area being updated in this instance was reported by terramaster to be 63Meg and fgfs has finally gotten to 48Meg over the last 6 to 8 hours or so... all due to my connection having dropped and reconnected... i've already had terramaster update the tile in question and have told fgfs to reload the scenery several times to no avail... in fact, i've used terramaster to pull all of the tiles composing japan and reloading the scenery in fgfs hasn't changed anything...

at FL250 i still see nothing but "white mist" from the horizon to half of my visual viewing area... the right side of the visual area also has a straight line with "white mist" beyond... Langoliers, i tell ya! they've eaten too much too soon... here's a link to the image... can't use img tags with dropbox links https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3xuqo4dj3y53f2/fgfs-screen-009.png?dl=0 been hovering here waiting on the sync to complete for 6 to 8 hours, too...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby elgaton » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:34 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm:really weird... i'm watching the fgfs log reporting "Sync taking a long time" messages... the funny thing is that it has been saying that and incrementing the "taken" count by ~10010 each time it reports this...

I think that's normal given that you've got an unstable connection. The messages you're seeing are just printed as a reminder that SimGear is still performing the "svn update" operation.

wkitty42 wrote in Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm:in fact, i've used terramaster to pull all of the tiles composing japan and reloading the scenery in fgfs hasn't changed anything...

Did you try renaming the navigation cache (%APPDATA%\flightgear.org\navdata_3_4.cache) to something else and try again?
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:13 pm

elgaton wrote in Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:34 pm:
wkitty42 wrote in Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm:really weird... i'm watching the fgfs log reporting "Sync taking a long time" messages... the funny thing is that it has been saying that and incrementing the "taken" count by ~10010 each time it reports this...

I think that's normal given that you've got an unstable connection. The messages you're seeing are just printed as a reminder that SimGear is still performing the "svn update" operation.

interesting... they're being printed every ~10 seconds and have been since the first connection drop last night ~10PM or so... the current connection has been stable for 6+ hours yet there's no data streaming in from fgfs' terrain update from svn... terramaster has completly pulled in all the data for japan in the last hour or two yet FG still hasn't noticed :?

elgaton wrote in Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:34 pm:
wkitty42 wrote in Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm:in fact, i've used terramaster to pull all of the tiles composing japan and reloading the scenery in fgfs hasn't changed anything...

Did you try renaming the navigation cache (%APPDATA%\flightgear.org\navdata_3_4.cache) to something else and try again?

well, i'm on linux and running 3.5-git which i update at least once a day via scripts for the main binaries, the new FGDATA and the new FGADDON... i haven't looked at that file which i think is in my ~/.fgfs directory... i don't think i can delete it while the sim is running, either... i really don't want to have to fly this all over again which is why i've been hovering and backing up before crossing the line into langolier lands... when that happens there's nothing else to do other than to quit the sim :(
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project