Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Whom to contact for new joystick version?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Whom to contact for new joystick version?

Postby jtt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi,

I've down what I hope is a bit of improvement for the Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X, which I would like to share. In the original file there's only the name of the author (Joffrey Paris) but no email address. Can someone tell me who's the correct persoon to cantact for discussing the possible inclusion into FlightGear?

Thank you and best regards, Jens
jtt

Re: Whom to contact for new joystick version?

Postby elgaton » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:38 pm

The best way is to download the fgdata Git repository, add the file in there and submit a merge request.

The wiki page I've linked to details the process, it's a bit technical though - feel free to ask here should you need clarifications.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby jtt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:51 pm

Thank you! Had hoped to avoid downloading the whole repo (my internet connection isn't very fast). I don't think I'm going to have too many troubles beside, the explanation seems to be clear (and I'm used to git) - but I'll bother you if necessary;-)

Thanks and best regards, Jens
jtt

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:49 pm

jtt wrote in Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:51 pm:Thank you! Had hoped to avoid downloading the whole repo (my internet connection isn't very fast). I don't think I'm going to have too many troubles beside, the explanation seems to be clear (and I'm used to git) - but I'll bother you if necessary;-)

hop into the wiki... there's a page or two in there concering a "download_and_compile.sh" script... on that page it points to another site where you can pull the fgdata and 12 (i think) update files via torrent... that's the way i had to do it just a week or so ago... 4.7gig for the first part and then the updates... yeah, it is monstrous!
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Alant » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:24 pm

Much easier is to use the developers email list (see http://wiki.flightgear.org/Mailing_list) and submit it there for peer review.

Alan

P.S.
It would help the maintainers if you give a clear description of your improvements and why you think they should be included in the main distribution.
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Postby jtt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks for the tip. But 5 GB will take about 6 hours even if it would download as fast as my connection allows. I'll probably wait until I get to some work related place where a much higher speed is available;-)
Everyone interested in testing can download the single file for the time being from http://users.physik.fu-berlin.de/~jtt/T.Flight%20Stick%20X.xml. It's also not completely finished yet, I still have an idea or two with which I want to play around.

jtt

Postby jtt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi Alant,

thanks! I wouldn't have considered the developers mailing list for such minor modifications - I assumed it was more about core development. I'll read it a bit to see what's on-topic there and then perhaps bother people over there;-)

Best regards, Jens
jtt

Postby Alant » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:04 pm

Yes it is the core developers - but they are the ones who control and can grant access to the git repo.. Most of them listen to the forum, but recognise that the suggeted path of submitting a git merge request if somewhat complicated..
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: from Git

Return to The FlightGear project