Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

wiki.flightgear.org scheduled downtime

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: wiki.flightgear.org scheduled downtime

Postby mhab » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:52 pm

Hello

As I didn't know where this thread went to since the wiki was up again, and therefore had no idea what is going on, I already uploaded an image on Jan 31 which showed up in an old version in the wiki page. That image's filename is http://wiki.flightgear.org/File:EC130-B4_MAC_rescue_equipment_2.jpg uploaded again on Jan 31, 2015

The problem with the missing thumbnail of today is related to the following code in the wiki page of EC130 B4 (link to page: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Eurocopter_EC130_B4:
[[File:EC130-B4 wide luggage box-012.jpg|thumb|ZS-HOY of Starlite Helicopters with wide luggage boxes seen from above]]

If I click the enlarge icon beside the empty space with the missing thumbnail, I get the image displayed. So it seems it is not really lost ;-)
The link of the image displayed is: http://wiki.flightgear.org/File:EC130-B4_wide_luggage_box-012.jpg

Do you see why I talk about a naming issue related to Blanks and underscores ?!
It seems to look for an image with spaces in the name and the image file has underscores in the name instead.

B.T.W.: I don't know who removed the underscores, because the original file I uploaded months ago, had the underscores in the name. The usual procedure I followed was to use the upload wizard and then use the link it displayed after successful upload in the wiki page. Remark: This tool has changed now too and doesn't show the links as it did before.

Additionally I had copied these links I got from the upload wizard in a text file I keep in git. There the original link of the above lost image is as follows:
[[File:EC130-B4 wide luggage box-012.jpg|thumb|EC130-B4 wide luggage boxes seen from above]]

So my theory: The old Wiki software used to remove the underscores, as the file had underscores and the link presented after upload didn't have the underscores.
Before the crash or Wiki upgrade this worked well.

So far I didn't experience problems with other images on the page although several others are listed on the "lost" page ...
Not being a Wiki insider this is all I can contribute it seems.

Thanks for working on this issue.

Mike-DE
mhab

Callsign: D-MIKE
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Gijs » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:40 am

mhab wrote in Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:52 pm:If I click the enlarge icon beside the empty space with the missing thumbnail, I get the image displayed. So it seems it is not really lost

That is in fact another thumbnail, albeit a very big one. If you click that image (or the "Original file" link below it) you should be redirected to the real full scale image. In this case you're redirected to some nonexistent wiki page, because the original image is not there. ;-)

Spaces and underscores are the same for MediaWiki when it comes to files and links. You're advised to use spaces instead of underscores in wiki articles, because that's nicer to read.

I'll have another look today to see what I can do.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby wlbragg » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:36 pm

@Gijs,

My page is complete again. If your ultimate goal is to account for everything in the /images_found folder then delete it, you can delete everything I posted above

Oh, and special thanks to RedLeader for the formatting tips!
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Gijs » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:07 pm

Be careful with what you say. The files you listed in that post are NOT all safe. Only the resized (thumbnail) versions are, the original files are not where they should be. Please re-read my explanation above.

As an example, visit http://wiki.flightgear.org/File:Kansas_Scenery_Two.jpg Click the image; it opens the original full scale image. Nice, all is fine.
Now visit http://wiki.flightgear.org/File:Kansas_ ... _Three.jpg All looks fine again. But, now click the image and see what happens. If all was well you'd have seen the original full scale image, just like the former example.

EDIT: Ok, I've fixed that one now (thus the example's given here no longer fail)
Gijs

Postby Johan G » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:42 am

I do not know if this is related to the previous problems, but I have gotten an "502 Bad Gateway" error when trying to access the wiki for a little while now. It did work only a few hours ago.

I have mailed Simon about this.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Hooray » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:32 pm

here, too
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Johan G » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:20 pm

It is up again. *phew* :-D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Johan G

Postby wlbragg » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Be careful with what you say.

Oops, erroneous assumption!

Not being very familiar with the wiki file paths I didn't check what the path pointed to. I'm not sure I would know the correct path if I saw it. I only knew the paths were being pointed to an image, and that the file existed, so there is where my assumption came in.

I can't stand limbo and just want those images removed from the lost and found. At this point I "think" it's all fixed. So once again, feel free to delete the images I pointed to in my previous post. If they are linked at this point, I'll just replace them in the wiki article.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:06 am

Hi everyone,
as I already said on the G+ community, there's a thumbnail missing in the Aviano air base page on the Wiki, this one: http://wiki.flightgear.org/File:TWR-View_LIPA_Winter.JPG. Can someone fi the problem please?
Greetings, Maverick
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, C-32J, A330, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Find me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16 and YouTube
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16, REBEL84

Postby Gijs » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:08 pm

Gijs

Postby Johan G » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:20 pm

Johan G wrote in Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:54 am:Should I set up a wiki page... where we could post links to missing images?

If so, in what way would you guys prefer the URLs? In what format would they be most helpful and give you less work?

I am reiterating this question since I see that it is still rather unclear how we could best help you, in essence what you need and how to best present it.

I have as a subpage to my user page set up this draft: User:Johan G/FlightGear wiki:Missing images (permalink)
Johan G

Postby Gijs » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:21 pm

I think the easiest right now is to just collect links to image pages that give a missing file error. By comparing the resolutions of the original files (those are thankfully stored in the database), we should be able to find most of them back. I'm currently going through the pages that Google gives us ;-)
Gijs

Postby Johan G » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:28 pm

Ah. So what you really need is actually only the file title, like for example "File:DR400.jpg" ?
Johan G

Postby Gijs » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Yep, that would be fine.
Gijs

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:11 pm

None of them. It was this one: (uploaded with Imgur)

Greetings, Maverick
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, C-32J, A330, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Find me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16 and YouTube
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16, REBEL84

PreviousNext

Return to The FlightGear project