Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Free aircraft helicopter simulator Flightgear vs Oculus Rift

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Free aircraft helicopter simulator Flightgear vs Oculus Rift

Postby kailynn » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:10 pm

Facebook buyed Oculus Rift company. With that we all can move our heads and see difference inside the plane or helicopter LIVE. As we all know we have stereoscopic but can be something done by the creators in here to make the Oculus Rift working? I dont how it works, but people are screaming and loosing control when standing, some just fall.

Thanks for consider that possibility xDD
kailynn

Re: Free aircraft helicopter simulator Flightgear vs Oculus

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:38 pm

The problem with basically all expensive bits of hardware is that most developers don't have them and nobody is supplying them for free - then it's kind of hard to add specific support. Basically this thing only happens if a developer wants expensive bit of hardware X himself, buys it and adds the code.

Realizing that probably explains a lot (like how can we miss so many AMD or Intel chip graphics issues - it'd not happen if someone pays me a couple of different computers with all sorts of graphics hardware so that I can test on all of them, these issues wouldn't occur - but I sure won't spend a lot of money myself).

but people are screaming and loosing control when standing

Not sure that makes it very attractive...
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:04 pm

We already have one thread dealing with Oculus Rift support, so I encourage you to check it out.
Equally, like Thorsten said, nobody is going to get all kinds of hardware just to test/develop things.
To be honest, I doubt that would happen if people/companies were to donate some hardware - personally, I wouldn't prioritize development based on getting my hands on some hardware like the Oculus Rift kit. And that seems to be supported by all the comments on the devel list concerning Saitek support. Basically donating/providing hardware is one thing, but it's really only the first step. There's still time/money required to develop/integrate things afterwards.
Again, I'd suggest you check out the existing Oculus Rift thread.
Obviously, you are free to file a feature request at the tracker, too.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby kailynn » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:03 am

Thorsten wrote in Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:38 pm:
but people are screaming and loosing control when standing

Not sure that makes it very attractive...

It seems simulator have a chance to be more realistic than before. Moving head around or feeling the G's.
kailynn

Postby rubdos » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Seen this [1]? Would be more in the "FlightGear way of doing things", open source. And I signed up for a developer edition.

[1] http://www.osvr.com/
rubdos

Callsign: FTL579
Version: git

Postby Hooray » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:10 pm

kailynn wrote in Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:03 am:It seems simulator have a chance to be more realistic than before. Moving head around or feeling the G's.

I don't understand why you folks don't simply run a forum search like we suggested earlier, we only have ~80 postings containing the term "oculus", most of them made in 3-4 threads - assuming that you are really interested in this feature, looking up those threads should be not too much to ask for [1] ?

As you can see below, there are 2-3 different FlightGear contributors experimenting with FG and OR:

Subject: Oculus Rift Support

Gouranga wrote:Hello flightgear dev community,
I have been following the Rift heavily over the course of the past few years, and in my eyes the one place that it can really excel is in fixed point simulators. So I identified flightgear as the perfect venue for the Rift. I have seen requests on here before by people who have no programming knowledge etc and aren't willing to put in the dev themselves however I have something different.

I have flightgear working with the rift.

I know that the number of users that will currently be able to use this is small, my implementation is also not perfect. The stereoscopy is perfect but there are a few bugs which are down to my unfamiliarity with flightgears render pipeline (currently my shader replaces the skybox) . I feel these are bugs which could quickly be remedied by a core developer. Currently it is hardcoded towards the 1st dev kit but this could be changed later on for the release of the new dev kit and finally the commercial.

I've been using it myself to play around with, showing it to people I managed to gather a small crowd with people clamouring to play. I then showed it to a very experienced flightgear user and in his words "This is changes everything". He currently uses a 3D projector for flightgear and said this was much better, so I want to push it out for those that can play it. I wasn't going to release it but he encouraged me into it.

Like I said before I know demand will be small among those that have a rift and enjoy flightgear but I believe this will add a huge immersion into flightgear and really kick it up to the next notch.

Some screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/N6Mdk#vK6TiFY

I would appreciate any advice you can give, and I can elaborate on my implementation if you wish.

Subject: Oculus Rift Support

Gijs wrote:Welcome!

Nice job! My first crude Oculus implementation in FlightGear looks exactly opposite to what you have (ie, the sky dome looks ok, but the rest of the scene lost all textures); see this screenshot:

I'd be very interested to have a look at your implementation. Would it be possible to set up a Gitorious clone with your changes? That would be the easiest for other devs to review it...

I don't have acces to a kit yet, but a dev kit 2 is on order. Would like to have it implemented in FlightGear by the time it aarrives. ;-)

Cheers,
Gijs

[1]: search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=oculus
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to The FlightGear project