Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Fly Free?!

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Fly Free?!

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:16 am

If youre thinking of BVAO we won't be bombing Frankfurt- thats for sure! LFGG to EDDF is like 500nm, way out of range. But we will post warnings I'm sure, if we go on bombing raids

Targets would be like Freiburg or Strasbourg
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: next

Postby dragonfly » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:36 am

Great! When I posted this topic it was just an experiment, like how many posts are there in a certain time by an (as I think) interesting question...
There were many interesting replies, thanks for them!
Personally Im really not against ATCs, I think this is a very great thing that ads a big part of realism to fg.
But I was really curious what you would answer to this...
Necolatis wrote in Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:52 pm:As far as I know there are 20.000 airports available.

Its not hard to look on the MP map, and see where the ATCs are, and fly somewhere else.

Well, yes there are, but some airports are unique, because of their good modelling and their interesting terrain, such as LOWI (Innsbruck-Kranebitten)
Now, how many posts will their be after this post?
dragonfly

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:34 pm

Just fly when they are uncontrolled: EDDF Mon Tue and Thur all day and Wed Fri Sat and Sun 1800-2200 UTC until Spring when it starts at 1700-2100
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO

Postby sanhozay » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:03 pm

Nowhere is controlled if you disconnect from multiplayer.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby Johan G » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:48 pm

Yeah, but how fun is it to be entirely alone in the world. Saying hello and sharing a few words with a random stranger can be really nice sometimes. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby chris_blues » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:28 pm

Interesting topic!

1. Thx. I didn't know about the obs*** callsign! I'll be using that from time to time I think! Though flying myself usually is more fun, but there were times, when someone in KSFO told me to leave the VOR antenna with my ufo... :roll:

2. Well, we might not have much traffic on the mp-servers, but I've seen some clashes already! Especially at EDDF. I like EDDF, because it's got this real big runways, where even I can land a taildragger! And I think it's good to have a steady Controller keeping an eye on this spot. And on the other hand, not everybody knows that. So, if you're planning an mp-event there, without knowing that jomo is going to be there and he's going to be very ****** if you're raining on his parade, then it's going to happen to get annoying - for all involved. And this is a time, when a different "room"/"groups" whatever - would be very useful! So I agree with JWocky. Some means of separation would be quite nice!

3. It's not that easy to get all the interests not to collide! I certainly can understand both sides of the story, someone is ATCing somewhere, trying to make things happen - and on the other hand, someone is just flying around somewhere, and find his dest claimed by someone ATCing. Both is quite annoying...

My 2 pennies...
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian testing 64bit - Athlon II 2x2.6GHz - 8GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby wlbragg » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:53 pm

And this is a time, when a different "room"/"groups" whatever - would be very useful! So I agree with JWocky. Some means of separation would be quite nice!

According to this I guess we have that capability.
http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=24899#p227486
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby chris_blues » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:37 am

According to this, it's not that easy to set up a mp-server. I think it would be better, if we could spawn different channels, like a chat-server. I imagine a general channel, and if requested by the clients, some freshly spawned subchannel, where a group could separate. If it's no longer used, the channel would be destroyed, so no garbage would be generated...
That way, there wouldn't be any more ressources claimed, since the players are already on the mp-network, just on a different channel...

P.S.
having read the wiki-page, I get curious, whether I would get this done on my hosted server... I guess I'll have to try...
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby wlbragg » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:34 am

After reading through the wiki, it doesn't sound too complicated but I wasn't expecting to have to build it. Let alone from the looks of it, Linux only? No MSVC port?
In an ideal world, something like this could be part of the base package, included at least as an option.
Like OSGEarth, why are there no binaries floating around on an FG data server somewhere or included in GIT?
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Postby chris_blues » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Yes, that would be nice! In-sim clicking some button, to make my FG act as a mp-server too... :)
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:36 am

Well, I work on abusing my webserver for some kind of independent tracking ... maybe if I find time, I can do more with it. However, the idea give every installtion of FG server capabilites will end in a drama. How many people on wildly undersized machines will press that button and then cry about FG makes their box slow?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY

Postby chris_blues » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:39 am

You got a good point... Still, it's quite an obstacle to overcome, to set up a mp-server...
Citation II
chris_blues

Postby Jabberwocky » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:42 am

Since the current MP servers are slow and the protocal seems to be archaic at best, we probably would save time in discussing a new system than trying to do it with the old one. But alas, real life has burried me with other work.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY

Postby Johan G » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:18 am

As far as I have understood, work is slowly in progress to make FlightGear be able to use HLA, which is probably one of the reasons the current MPServer architecture does not see much work. I think the general idea is to have HLA replace the current system at some undetermined point in the future.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G

Postby wlbragg » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:39 am

I think the general idea is to have HLA replace the current system at some undetermined point in the future

Yes, that sound right.

How many people on wildly undersized machines will press that button and then cry about FG makes their box slow?

Don't press buttons if you don't have any idea of what they are going to do! :lol:
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

PreviousNext

Return to The FlightGear project