Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Logo proposal

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Logo proposal

Postby cossack90 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:48 pm

Hello Folks!

I have designed a new logo for FlightGear! Tell me what do you think.

Cheers,

Cossack90
Last edited by cossack90 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pilot of VOXY AIRLINES
WIP: Project Ukraine
cossack90

Callsign: UR-AOK / VOX0001
Version: 2018

Re: New logo proposal

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:16 pm

cossack90 wrote in Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:48 pm:I have designed a new logo for FlightGear! Tell me what do you think.

I like it but, it's too complex... If you simplify it a bit I think it would be great! :wink:
Cheers, Maverick
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, C-32J, A330, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Find me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16 and YouTube
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16, REBEL84
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby cossack90 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:10 pm

I don't agree with you :) The proposal has everything it need with minimum distraction. The wings you see represent the word: fly or flight, the gear for gear, together FlightGear!
Pilot of VOXY AIRLINES
cossack90

Postby zlsa » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:37 pm

It's not a bad logo, but it looks a lot more generic than the current logo.

edit:

Looking back at it, it actually isn't that bad a logo, it's just very generic. FGFS has had a... colorful history of graphic design, to say the least, and this flat, clean logo, while very nice, just doesn't feel "right" for FlightGear.
zlsa

Callsign: N275A
Version: 3.5 git

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:13 pm

zlsa wrote in Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:37 pm:It's not a bad logo, but it looks a lot more generic than the current logo.

edit:

Looking back at it, it actually isn't that bad a logo, it's just very generic. FGFS has had a... colorful history of graphic design, to say the least, and this flat, clean logo, while very nice, just doesn't feel "right" for FlightGear.

This is what I was trying to say, it's too generic for representing FG. zlsa said it properly, I don't want to add anything else.
Greetings, Maverick

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, C-32J, A330, MH-60)
J Maverick 16

Postby onox » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:48 pm

What's wrong with the current logo?
onox
Retired

Postby Hooray » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:01 pm

If you haven't already, you can upload your logo to the wiki, so that it can be used in the future - we usually have a ton of use-cases for artwork, and especially coders seem to be pretty grateful whenever they can reuse existing artwork - for example, one logo was uploaded to the mail-archive.com website: https://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear ... /info.html

I do agree that it seems fairly generic for the time being - but that isn't necessarily a bad thing at all - we could easily use it for some wiki articles. Likewise, there are certain components/features in FlightGear that at some point ended up having their own logo - more recently, it seems that Canvas could be one of those features deserving its own little logo.

Also, the wiki itself provides a plethora of options for contributed artwork to be applied in places where we have no existing artwork - such as e.g. dedicated symbols for our main portals.
There's nothing wrong about having a new "logo competition", but we shouldn't just go and replace existing artwork - especially because it usually represents some form of consensus that we ended up at in the past - in this case, I think it was Gijs who came up with the current logo - and it's kinda hard to argue with Gijs' degree of contributions and involvement :D

Thus, I'd suggest to pick some unmaintained areas and maybe get in touch with other contributors before working towards replacing/revamping existing artwork.
There are so many opportunities to apply new artwork in FG, so there's really no need for any debates.
The Canvas system in particular would greatly benefit from having more skilled contributors familiar with Inkscape so that we can increasingly replace existing FG functionality.

Thanks again for your work - but like I said, I'd suggest to apply artwork primarily in under-developed areas, especially because there's currently a release in progress, so it doesn't make sense to incorporate too many novel changes.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Re: Logo proposal

Postby mhab » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:03 am

Hello

My opinion: I simply don't like the logo
It looks like a broken toothwheel with spikes. It would fit fairly well for a toy like Lego or Playmobil plane but not for an advanced sim like FG.

What I agree upon is, that using FG is like opening a toolbox and very little works without complex interaction.
So on second thought it represents more the cold hard truth with FG, but it definitely is not a marketing approach ...

Mike-DE
mhab

Callsign: D-MIKE

Postby android » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:36 pm

I don't like the logo. It looks like some kind of wheel with 2 awkward horns pointing out. The letter F is just awful... I prefer the current logo. People create logos to emphasize certain meanings behind but I can't see any kinds of underlying meanings of your logo.

I am sorry that I can't agree with you.
android

Version: 3.0

Postby zlsa » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:24 pm

FlightGear's current logo, no matter how much the colors clash, does evoke the feeling of an airport with the black/yellow checkered strip.
zlsa

Callsign: N275A
Version: 3.5 git

Postby Richi Hurtado » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:30 am

I Like it.
The current one is even more generic.

This logo is done in a more professional way, and it's a REAL LOGO.
The current one is not even a logo: just a big F and some checkers? that's no logo, it's more just some color schemes.

The guy who did the new logo proposal has real design skills.

Please be more supportive with newcomers.
Richi Hurtado

Postby Lydiot » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:36 pm

I appreciate the effort. I think it's clean but a little bland to be honest.
Lydiot

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Richi Hurtado wrote in Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:30 am:I Like it.
The current one is not even a logo: just a big F and some checkers? that's no logo, it's more just some color schemes.

Well, FG isn't only a flight simulator, it's a way of life, an international community, it's a lot of thinks... and when you click that icon on the desktop, it evokes all this things.
I agree with you that cossack90 is quite good at designing but I don't like very much this logo proposal, it hasn't got all these characteristics I'm sorry.
Cheers, Maverick

J Maverick 16

Postby cossack90 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:54 pm

Richi Hurtado wrote in Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:30 am:I Like it.

The biggest compliment till date, thank you!
Pilot of VOXY AIRLINES
cossack90

Postby onox » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:42 pm

Perhaps you could make the wings dihedral (upward angle) and make the logo a bit less simplistic :)
onox
Retired

Next

Return to The FlightGear project