Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

What to expect from FlightGear 3.2?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: What to expect from FlightGear 3.2?

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:57 pm

That is what I try to find out, whether it's maintained. Since I caught me now sudden problems with the sound in 3.0, I try to figure whether I can just wait for 3.2 and install fresh or whether I have to solve the ound problem because 3.2 as package is still some time away.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Hooray » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:22 pm

it is maintained, that particular contributor is very active WRT to ubuntu/debian packages - and he's also helped us created SG/TG packages for the build server idea.
And as you can in the devel list archives, he's just made a posting asking when the release will be available so that he can create the corresponding packages.
Most of us were/are primarily volunteers, so things like deadlines/dates are not set in stone, and frankly, it's always a major turn-off for most of to make a major commitment when it comes to concrete features and deadlines. Imagine this like a huge herd of volunteers who all have a RL and a ton of obligations unrelated to FlightGear - so please just consider the "date" a timespan that should be interpreted +/- 5-8 weeks ideally, which would remove a lot of pressure for all the peopled involved in making this happen (no, I am not at all involved here).

Besides, JW: are a Linux/ubuntu user, I suggest to consider using the superbuild or the debian build script to set up a git environment with SG/FG and FGDATA - it is mostly scripted, so can be kept running over night, and you'll end up with a full FG checkout next morning, which makes you no longer depend on any release cycles. And no, it's not just a developers thing: we have many non-developers, especially aircraft maintainers, who are using this method without ever having written a single line of code.

Linux users are much better off here than Windows users, because the steps are straightforward and can even be automated - the number of people with a *nix background is fairly high for a reason, and most of them consider using git/gitorious at least once - and once they actually do so, they're really close to becoming actual contributors, because the barrier to entry is almost non existant.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:21 pm

I interpret that as a "yes" ... and since he is already very busy, I go out on a limp and assume, it is not worth to perform any stunts for my sound problem because the change to 3.2 comes soon.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Hooray » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:28 pm

For updates, I'd suggest to refer to: http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/mai ... ear-devel/
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project