Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

FlightGear is being sold online in ebay

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

FlightGear is being sold online in ebay

Postby reichcommisar » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:28 pm

Hello Sir FlightGear is being sold online in ebay

www.ebay.in/itm/Flight-Gear-Flight-Simu ... 441&_uhb=1

I know Flightgear is free so i decided i should alert the developers
reichcommisar

Re: FlightGear is being sold online in ebay

Postby Gijs » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:43 pm

Welcome!

Thanks for the alert. Per our license, it is allowed to sell FlightGear though, as long as the seller adheres to the license. You can read more about it on our wiki http://wiki.flightgear.org/GNU_General_Public_License By the looks of it, this seller is doing fine, except that he's using copyrighted images of ours without proper attribution.

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:30 pm

selling FG is not a problem per se - in fact, I wish more people would be doing that, especially the fgdata part could greatly benefit from being made available as a git bundle via DVD/usb sticks - some of our most active contributors have fairly bad internet connectivity, I think macnab and even ThorstenR mentioned that they're typically bandwidth limited - Thorsten once said, that he had to use internet access at work in order to clone fgdata IIRC. Distributing git repositories via "snail mail" is not such a bad thing in general. Whenever I am traveling, I also often end up having just "UMTS" (not HSDPA) bandwidth, so I do appreciate any efforts to make FG accessible to more users (and consequently contributors), as long as there's no mis-attribution taking place, and as long as there are no exorbitant "shipping" costs involved.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby hvengel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:52 pm

Also this vendor is charging 124 Indian rupees which works out to $2.08 and shipping is free. So they are just barely covering their actual costs and they don't in any way misrepresent what they are selling. So this is clearly within both the letter and spirit of the GPL which explicitly allows for this type of service.

Also It appears that they only ship to India. For folks in India with limited band width this appears to be a good service for potential FG users.
hvengel
Retired

Return to The FlightGear project