Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Contributing to FlightGear  Topic is solved

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Contributing to FlightGear

Postby ajaymittur28 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:13 pm

HI Guys,
Ajay here. i have been playing flightgear for nearly 3 years now and currently 14 years old. i have been very keen in helping the flightgear developers but don't know any programming or anything, so is there anyway i could contribute to the flightgear project?

-Ajay
ajaymittur28

Re: Contributing to FlightGear

Postby Johan G » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:39 pm

There are many ways to contribute. The programming is only one of them. :D

These are just some of the ways to contribute, without programming:
  • Helping other users on the forum
  • Giving detailed bug reports
  • 3D modelling
  • Testing aircraft in development (and one can consider that none of them are finished ;) ), if possible comparing results against a pilots operating handbook (POH) or flight manual (FM)
  • Helping with the wiki in one way or another

There are also some easier programming not involving the FlightGear code itself, but the aircraft:
  • Adding systems functionality, animations etc. in property xml files (not really programming per see)
  • Adding systems and functionality through nasal code (much easier than C++, but not without pitfalls for inexperienced programmers)

You can expect some other answers here, as well as people trying to "lure" you into learning new stuff. :wink: With enough time and patience, you can acquire a lot of skills here that you might have use for elsewhere later.

Let's put your curiosity to use and find out what you feel for to expand on that. :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby ajaymittur28 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:44 pm

thnx a lot
will think of any 1 or 2 ways to contribute from the above ways to contribute and will tell u guys
ajaymittur28

Postby Gijs » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:56 pm

Welcome!

See our wiki for some more ideas on how to contribute http://wiki.flightgear.org/Volunteer Don't hesitate to ask if something is unclear ;-)

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby ajaymittur28 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:10 pm

one question I just wanted to know how do u guys make all ur info come on the right side of the forum page. do u have to be admin? and are u 2 guys one of the admins
ajaymittur28

Postby ajaymittur28 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 pm

and I think I will start helping the wiki and try to help other people in the forum. After some time I will start building aircraft models/improve current aircrafts
ajaymittur28

Postby Johan G » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:33 pm

ajaymittur28 wrote in Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:10 pm:one question I just wanted to know how do u guys make all ur info come on the right side of the forum page. do u have to be admin? and are u 2 guys one of the admins

The info on the right can be added using the "User Control Panel", see the link under the banner on the top of the forum pages. Some of the details will only be available to other registered users. Test and see, also test clicking for example my name to see my profile. :wink: Which reminds me I should update my profile, as well as add the external display. :roll:

I am not an admin, but Gijs is (or rather he is a moderator), which is shown by having his name shown in green. Black names are users who at some point have decided to leave the forum permanently (though some are still active in the community). In short the names are showed with these colours: Regular users, Global moderators, Administrators, Retired.

Edit2: I became an admin in September 2014.
Last edited by Johan G on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby ajaymittur28 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:38 pm

thanks
ajaymittur28

Postby Hooray » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:46 pm

Hi & welcome!
Thanks for your offer to get involved, it's really appreciated!
Some of our most active contributors are in their teens, too - so don't worry about age, and don't worry about not knowing anything about programming, FDMs or 3D modeling.

Indeed, helping with the wiki would be a great idea, you can get in touch with Johan, Gijs and myself if you have any questions.
I really suggest to check out the previously posted "volunteer" article there - it should give you a good idea about what's possible.
You can also focus on the newsletter for starters (see my signature) - the newsletter is fully community-driven, edited and published via the wiki - everybody is invited to contribute - we appreciate having youtube videos and screenshots there too - and often, we need to remind other contributors to add news about their projects to the newsletter - which is another easy thing to do, i.e. via PM.

You really only need to check the forums and look for recent announcements/developments and ask people to get involved in editing the newsletter.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby ajaymittur28 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:39 pm

sure will contact u, johan or gijs if i have any doubts
ajaymittur28

Postby ajaymittur28 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:08 pm

does one need to know programming to use YAsim and FSBsim
ajaymittur28

Postby Hooray » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:46 pm

so, just to use those, most things can be accomplished just by editing XML files - please refer to the wiki for details.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby pulpstick27 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:02 pm

Just starting to read the manual for version 3.2.0.....have experience in proofreading and have found errors in the contents page numbers and in some of the documentation.

To whom do I report these items and how ?
pulpstick27

Postby Hooray » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi & welcome,

we've had a number of discussions about improving the docs/the manual in particular - in fact, we even have a dedicated "documentation" forum.
Also, it's worth keeping in mind that the manual consists primarily of plain text files using the LaTex system, so can be easily opened/viewed in a conventional text editor.
Typos can be corrected even without having to be familiar with LaTex itself.

Regarding your question in particular, here's a related posting:

Subject: Using the wiki to maintain the manual / PDF tutorials
stuart wrote:If you're keen to make some test changes with Latex without the overhead of understanding git right now, you can download the latest source code directly from https://gitorious.org/fg/getstart/archi ... all/master

You can then just email me the files you update. I can easily diff them against the actual source and apply your changes.

-Stuart
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby ludomotico » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:13 am

pulpstick27 wrote in Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:02 pm:have found errors in the contents page numbers and in some of the documentation.

If you mean pages in the table of contents are all wrong (and I can confirm they are all wrong), and the documentation is in LaTeX, then the script that builds getstart.pdf is wrong. Page numbers are automatically calculated, so something went wrong during the building of the document.

To build a LaTeX document with a table of contents, pdflatex has to go through the document twice: once to calculate page numbers, and the second to insert this calculation into the document. Some packages change the contents of the document during the second pass, and they need a third (or fourth!) pass to build a document correctly. For example, if the document has a bibliography, the right set of commands usually is:

Code: Select all
pdflatex getstart
bibtex getstart
pdflatex getstart
pdflatex getstart

There is a warning message from pdflatex that tells you when a new pass is necessary. If you get this warning, run pdflatex again. If you don't get the warning... run pdflatex again just in case. Sometimes, LaTeX does not identify correctly that a document needs a last pass.

I can't find any reference to the script that builds getstart.pdf, so I cannot confirm this. But according to the wrong page numbers in the table of contents, I strongly believe pdflatex was not called enough times.
ludomotico

Version: git

Next

Return to The FlightGear project