Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

WIKI Categories

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

WIKI Categories

Postby Michat » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Good evening Gentlemen.

I found several logical issues with categories, so I have some questions, because I'm not a logic I need your help.

1. My next objetive in fgwiki will be to help to the spanish community editing or creating new spanish airport pages in the wiki.

2. Due to airports pages in FGwiki are entitled by name not ICAO - (I suppose this is a problem) - categories like for example airports in Germany, and others have to be represented by an ICAO airport list like this: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:Airports_in_Germany.

3 What I see is that those editors are using a redirection techique from the ICAO's wiki page to the airport name wiki page, which is okay. However I feel that the list is a let's called "unsmart list", because is hard to control and it has not date or time quotation to know when it was written modify.

4 I was talking with user ELS who is helping with the custom Spain scenery database, and we were talking about the needed to have better control of that list. We were thinking in the needed for new categories (3) that could control the state of the scenery development, also a new ICAO category maybe could help in that task.

5 I started to translate wiki airports like in LETO,under spanish airport category
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:Airports_in_Spain but as you can see, my spanish Base aerea de torrejon de ardoz LETO (torrejonde ardoz airbase) airport is indexed under ES/, al well others will do ( http://wiki.flightgear.org/Es/Base_A%C3 ... n_de_Ardoz) is a good idea to use redirection for that?

6. User ludomotico has created and compile a lot of little airports (airfields) in spain, I think some of those airfields have no code, so let say they belong to a category (airfields) not existent in FGwiki (as far as I know).

7. I need your help before to start editing a huge list of airports; what is your oppinion for such categories. Where is th best way to control all that info.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Michat on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michat

Version: 191b

Re: WIKI Categories

Postby Gijs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:31 am

Hi,

this is best discussed on a wiki talk page, but I'll give some of my answers here.

1) Great!

2) Why is this is a problem? Simply enter the code in the search bar and you'll find the corresponding article.

Wiki categories are notmeant to have such tables. That's better done on a special "List of airports in Spain" article or so...

3) You can check the history of a category page just like the history of any other page. It's also very easy to edit, just click the Edit tab and have a look.

4) If you have an ICAO code and don't know which airport belongs to it, simply enter the code in the search bar and you'll find the corresponding article. Creating an ICAO category would make the problem of airports without ICAO code worse.

5) When adding categories to non-English articles, you should add them like
Code: Select all
[[Category:Airports in Spain|Base Aérea de Torrejón de Ardoz]]

The text behind the bar is what is used for sorting in the category. So in this case, the article will be sorted under "B" instead of "E".

Actually it would be preferred to place the Es articles in an Es category, like Category:Es/Aeropuerto en Spain (or whatever it should be called in Espanol).

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Michat » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Howdy Gijs. Thanks for your help answering my doubts.

I'm agree with you in all the points you answered.

I also found this list http://wiki.flightgear.org/Developed_Airports

Do you think is neccesary to fill that table with the huge Spanish airport list, or simply use the List of Airports in Spain that you suggest?..

.. and the last point.. still we think we need a category in order to control the state of developement that is usually controlled by a comment and several rows under those tables.

What do you think about categories to control the states of development and a date field using those tables? . Let's says (i.e) Undevelop-Partial dev- Completed, abandoned, in progress... etc and of course the date..... in fact all tables I've seen have different methods to show development state information......

Any idea in how to improved that point in the most unified way posible ?? ........

Again thanks in advance for your help.
Michat

Postby ludomotico » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:54 am

To put the problem into perspective, we are talking about a list of 30+ airports in Spain, and about 1 or 2 new airports every week. These are huge international airports as well as small airfields for ULM aircrafts. Not all of them are submitted to terrasync! Some airports depend on taxiways that are heavily outdated in terrasync. Sometimes, even the runways are plainly wrong. I believe submitting the models of these airports to terrasync is not a good idea.

I'm managing the dynamic list of Spanish airports using a custom Google Map(linked in the wiki), but it seems Michat doesn't like the idea of using a map and wants to put together a list :D Not complaining, just feeling it is a lot of work for a little output: I don't see the need of a list of modelled airports in the wiki. Most of them are obscure and their name is absolutely meaningless. In fact, I'd find much more useful a map covering the entire world: it is more visual and you can plan your travels easier.

About airfields without an ICAO code, I can only recall my first airport both in real life and FlightGear: Avinyonet (near Barcelona). Notice you cannot select an airport without an ICAO code in the launcher! Someone, maybe inside the X-Plane community, solved this issue "forging" ICAO codes: Avinyonet is LE01, a completely unofficial code. I'm not very convinced with this solution, but we are not going to have this problem with many airfields. As I say, I don't recall modeling any other airport without an ICAO code.
ludomotico

Version: git

Postby Michat » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:06 pm

By contraire I think the map is usefull for me to see all available airports, and I am not a defender of those non unified and hard to maintain lists, but the map is not a wiki standard and the lists used in wiki are not unified, so tha'ts the point why I need help to resolve best way to do it. For me is not important the number of airports in the list but the way we have to control that info in the wiki.

@ ludomotico I have gps data, elevation and limits from La Llosa Aeroclub, La Llosa (Castellò), if you want to include it. However we'll need a category for those airfields with out ICAO.... I mean in the wiki, but also we'll need a solution in the wizard..... LOL in order that users can find those gold nuggets under your huge list of awesome airports.

Anyways I could start with the most important airports, but I'll prefered waiting for some ideas about how to unify and control that airport list info.

Best regards.
Michat

Return to The FlightGear project