Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

FreeWare and Flightgear

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

FreeWare and Flightgear

Postby Michat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi, I read on wikipedia about FreeWare licenses, understanding that are not compatible with GPL, for several reasons.

There are a lot of freeware classes.

I want to focus in that freeware for simulation class, especially on freeware that is controlled by a individual owner-creator- and furthermore complains that is no a commercial product invitation freeware.

We know that there are a lot of freeware, I like some especific srtm terrain-mesh-textures freeware.

:arrow: Here is the stack of questions:

How is your experience with freeshare and FG ?

How an specific communication campaign can benefit to FG with freeware-donations transformed to GPL with author's permission?

Do we have an specific warm welcome space and FG schemes communication documents to incorporate new members with due respect and recognition.?
Michat

Version: 191b

Re: FreeWare and Flightgear

Postby Necolatis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:34 pm

Michat wrote in Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:49 pm:How is your experience with freeshare and FG ?

I normally get a 'no' from freeware authors to GPL their work. (not based on alot of examples though)

I think mainly because they want it to be free (no cost), and GPL allows for selling. Which is often also clearly stated on the websites where it can be downloaded.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore

Hangar: https://sites.google.com/site/fghangar/
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2018.3.2

Return to The FlightGear project