Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

FlightGear mod or ramification?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

FlightGear mod or ramification?

Postby gmilitel » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi,
Not sure if this is the right place to put this post but perhaps someone can point me to the right direction.
I’m trying to figure it out if FlightGear can be converted or modded into a real time strategic naval war game like Jane’s Fleet Command. I was and I am, a real fan of that game (still playing it on my Windows 7 64 bits) but surfing and searching the web for a replacement got me that there is no game like this. Fleet command is a 10 years old game, wrote by the times of 3dfx cards, graphics engine is very old and not moddable or scalable at all. I was looking into Flightgear very long, but the game I dream on is a quite different. There would be no cockpits but there need to be missiles, ships, aircraft carriers,etc.
I will be downloading the source an see if I can get the basic Flightgear running and then try to figure out if can be modified.
I need to represent something like this:

1) 2d tactical window, representing a map area where all my units are, with a NTDS symbols
    2) 3d window, showing the unit selected
    3) 2 or 3 more areas in the screen to represent selected unit with basic info and weapons load, speed,etc
Any help or idea?
Regards.
gmilitel

Re: FlightGear mod or ramification?

Postby gmilitel » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Ok, seems nobody likes this idea :| Let me put in other words and see if someone wants to help me out:

1- Add surface vessels, like ships.
2- Change the point of view. 2D Map Window (icon based) with a mini 3D window
3- Give orders to units like aircraft, instead of a 1st person view (cockpit)

Any ideas?
gmilitel

Postby Bomber » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Contact us at Target4Today.com

We're not perfectly aligned and we're looking to make a persistent theatre... but there might be something we can do for each other.

Regards

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby wrench11062 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Hello,
This reminds me of a sim called Harpoon, it had add on discs for different parts of the world. Mostly a Naval application, but you controled Grd Acft also.
FWIW. :)
Wrench11062
Prime example of what happens when you put a monkey in a capsule full of buttons and switches...Now, wheres that damn banana?...
wrench11062

Callsign: Tchaser/CrshLdr
Version: Git 64Bit

Postby Johan G » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Harpoon... While I have not played it myself, I have read a lot about it. It's a lot more to it than most people think. It originally was based on a war game using cards, as well on an unclassified part of an U.S. Navy war game manual from the 1970's.

While it was in development Tom Clancy was researching for his best seller Red Storm Rising. Many of the strategies used in that book had, if I recall correctly, been played out in early versions of Harpoon.

Harpoon has also been the base of more complex computer based war games used in real navies.

So... is it a game, or a simulation? :wink:

P.S. It is still on sale! :shock: But of course, an open source, tinker friendly variant would be nice. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to The FlightGear project