Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Link to Table of Aircraft?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Link to Table of Aircraft?

Postby Johan G » Wed May 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Gijs wrote in Tue May 08, 2012 8:02 am:The wiki supports redirects (eg "747-400" forwards to "Boeing 747-400"). So when such redirects are made for an aircraft's --aircraft= code, it would be trivial to add links to those (when they exist)...

Interesting idea. Probably a good one as well. :D

Thorsten wrote in Mon May 07, 2012 8:12 am:So - who is going to spend 10 hours on doing that job?

I guess that if aircraft authors was aware of that possibility the chance that they would add such a redirect page would increase. But there are also are issues like name collisions, stubs, non-existent pages and automating the process of adding (and checking) the links when creating the download page. :?

Thorsten wrote in Tue May 08, 2012 6:23 am:I think it would be nice to have every aircraft properly rated, and a link to a properly maintained wiki documentation, and even a proper aircraft manual shipped with it and all aircraft tested to be running with a release binary.

That would be the (utopic?) ideal of course. (EDIT: And I agree that it would be nice, and as well as agreeing to what I assume is an implied notion that it is not practically possible.)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby openflight » Thu May 10, 2012 5:09 am

We all know and love AIrcraft Wiki pages like this:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Aerostar_700

This can be accessed from this page:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Aircraft

So how does one get to the above page?

Can a link be added to the main page http://www.flightgear.org/ somewhere, maybe under the drop down menu "about Flight Gear" saying 'Aircraft Information" or "Aircraft Wiki"

I am willing to contribute by editing the http://wiki.flightgear.org/Aircraft page to add aircraft?

OK to proceed with the last step? Everyone think it is a good idea?

My concern is this: I have been using FG for about 5 years now, and have had to put up with invisible aircraft, aircraft that will not load, software crashes etc, due in part to limited hardware. What would have helped is the WIki page, if i was aware of it, showing the aircraft, cockpit, instruments and also a brief description of the model, with a note as to compatibility 'loads and runs in 1.1.9' etc. with version Aircraft2009012012.zip etc etc.

Making the new user aware of the fine models available and warning the user of incomplete models will serve the entire Flight Gear enterprise well, which is anyway and excellent product - realism, fast load times, low hardware requirements, reasonable size, etc etc. Let's show the world how good the FG aircraft are!
:)
openflight

Version: 1.0

Postby Thorsten » Thu May 10, 2012 6:43 am

Playing devil's advocate here:

The wiki contains some pretty outdated pages as well. The Flightgear project page with the main download links is guaranteed to be updated - the wiki is not. So two years from now, what guarantees that we will not advertize Flightgear 3.4 but offer a wiki description of all the aircraft in 2.6?

My concern is this: I have been using FG for about 5 years now, and have had to put up with invisible aircraft, aircraft that will not load, software crashes etc, due in part to limited hardware. What would have helped is the WIki page, if i was aware of it, showing the aircraft, cockpit, instruments and also a brief description of the model, with a note as to compatibility 'loads and runs in 1.1.9' etc. with version Aircraft2009012012.zip etc etc.

I think the wiki doesn't solve anything. If an author doesn't bother fixing or removing a non-functional aircraft, he is unlikely to update the wiki. If an author is creating and maintaining a good wiki page, it is unlikely that you will run into trouble with the aircraft.

The rating is supposed to deal with the problems you mention - once the download page is made searchable by rating, most incomplete, experimental or non-functional aircraft become invisible.

Having said that, a link to the wiki is probably not such a bad idea. I'm guessing Curt needs to do this though, so you should perhaps just talk to him.
Thorsten

Postby openflight » Fri May 11, 2012 8:08 am

playing devil's advocate here:

The wiki contains some pretty outdated pages as well. The Flightgear project page with the main download links is guaranteed to be updated - the wiki is not. So two years from now, what guarantees that we will not advertize Flightgear 3.4 but offer a wiki description of all the aircraft in 2.6?

Well each version should have its download page, as it is now, version 2.6, 2.4, 2.0 etc. Hopefully the aircraft listed on that page should work with the listed version. Or this could be handled in the Wiki

I think the wiki doesn't solve anything. If an author doesn't bother fixing or removing a non-functional aircraft, he is unlikely to update the wiki. If an author is creating and maintaining a good wiki page, it is unlikely that you will run into trouble with the aircraft.

The author can update the Wiki, but I think it is upto other volunteers to update the Wiki, and test the aircraft. After all the author knows what his aircraft is like. That way a non-functional aircraft will not end up in the Wiki. Also, the Wiki should list the version tested of the aircraft and of FG, so that there is a compatibility record. It would have been best to suffix the aircraft version with the FG version tested, such as F16_V22012010_FG_Version_1.1.9, and maybe this should be suggested.

The rating is supposed to deal with the problems you mention - once the download page is made searchable by rating, most incomplete, experimental or non-functional aircraft become invisible.

This won't happen if above procedure is followed, as I mentioned.

I really believe that having complete aircraft compatibility and description is one of the most important areas for making FG of value to users.

Having said that, a link to the wiki is probably not such a bad idea. I'm guessing Curt needs to do this though, so you should perhaps just talk to him.

Thanks, Will contact him now, referring to this post.
openflight

Version: 1.0

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project