Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

How the project works

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: How the project works

Postby jaxsin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:04 pm

these powerfull contributors bring developpers to the linux kernel developpement, do you think this kind of contribution can be realistic for a project like flightgear ?

These corporations actually pay their employees to work on the linux kernel. Improving the code base for their corporate benefit. A side effect of the GPL in this instance is that everyone else benefits.
jaxsin

Postby cyrfer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:59 am

This thread seems like a distraction from real documentation.
cyrfer

Postby Thorsten » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:01 am

It's basically what it says - an explanation of how things work.

As for documentation, lots of things happen on the wiki - everyone who thinks it needs to be improved can get an account and start editing today.
Thorsten

Postby anros » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:46 pm

First of all, let me say that I'm really grateful to the Flightgear community, I learnt a lot through FG about how to fly a plane.

I found most of the defaults hard to use, including simple things such as the steps in which the throttle or rudder increment when you use the keyboard. And with the joystick, I found the default configuration sorely lacking. I had to setup rudder trim, elevator trim, flaps, propeller mixtures...pretty much everything other than the basic flight controls on the joystick.

It took me quite a few months before I could get everything setup to fly well. I feel this is a little too much time for a typical user. I'm one of those crazy guys who won't give up until something works, but I don't expect many people to have this level of patience. :)
anros

Postby AndersG » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:52 pm

anros wrote in Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:46 pm:I found most of the defaults hard to use, including simple things such as the steps in which the throttle or rudder increment when you use the keyboard. And with the joystick, I found the default configuration sorely lacking. I had to setup rudder trim, elevator trim, flaps, propeller mixtures...pretty much everything other than the basic flight controls on the joystick.

For joysticks the default configuration file is chosen based on the reported joystick type / name so it is unfortunate that your particular device didn't have a configuration file or had a strange one (there are also some issues with operating system and/or joystick hardware revision dependent variations in axis and button numbering).

The keyboard defaults work for many - but it is, at least partly, a matter of taste how one wants them. Did you try using a mouse?
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby wlbragg » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:53 pm

First of all, let me say that I'm really grateful to the Flightgear community,

And with the joystick, I found the default configuration sorely lacking. I had to setup rudder trim, elevator trim, flaps, propeller mixtures...pretty much everything other than the basic flight controls on the joystick.

This is where you become part of the FG community. If you set up a configuration file for your brand of joystick and it isn't already included in fgdata a joystick configurations, then it would be really nice for you to request it be included in the default distribution. Then the next new user that comes along with your joystick brand might have a completely different starting experience than you did. At least as far as the joystick configuration is concerned.

Thank you for your feedback, You are now a full fledged participating member of the FG community. :)
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project