Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Ideal FlightGear wiki aircraft info page

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Ideal FlightGear wiki aircraft info page

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue May 21, 2019 4:23 pm

Actually, no that's all manual :)

However, it would be nice for an ability to add automatically wiki pages when an aircraft is added to FGADDON. Maybe the tags and performance data could be used to add some information?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby bugman » Tue May 21, 2019 8:09 pm

That would make a great howto article. I know Josh is considering writing a howto article for adding new hangars to the wiki. I tried to document the process, but it is scattered across the templates with no central organisation. For example my rewrite of the aircraft infobox template included a ton of documentation. Anyway, I unfortunately don't have enough time at the moment to create such an article (which would benefit from feedback by someone new to the process). A good idea would be to copy by example, e.g. the C172P:

Or an example with the useful keytable template:

Unfortunately the data in the aircraft XML is too sparse or non-standard to match the values required for the aircraft infobox template (edit: I considered scripting this, but it was too much of a headache).

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Johan G » Wed May 22, 2019 1:11 pm

wlbragg wrote in Tue May 21, 2019 4:10 pm:[...] I have little experience in editing the wiki and it is excruciatingly painful to have to take the time to not only gather and add the data but learn the wiki editing and formating part as well. Also by being a rank a amateur, and after being in the newspaper publishing industry for many years and very picky about formatting pages, it hurts to know your, at best, doing a crappy job with the formatting due to lack of knowledge about the system.

I added the "Welcome to the wiki" template to your user discussion page. It will give you some pointers and might be of some help. :)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wlbragg » Wed May 22, 2019 5:38 pm

Thanks Johan!
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby bugman » Thu May 23, 2019 8:45 am

@Wayne: I think it would be great if you could create some basic wiki articles for the craft you have developed. Therefore I have quickly put to together the following wiki article:

With the aircraft infobox, keytable, and gallery of screenshots, you should have all the material at hand to quickly create the wiki pages (and hence nice advertising for your aircraft). Any feedback on this article would be appreciated. The best would be to add the feedback to the talk page, or to directly correct and modify the text of that article.

Cheers,
Edward

[Edit] Updated the links for the moved wiki page.
bugman

Postby wlbragg » Thu May 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Thanks Edward, hopefully I can make some time to do a couple pages and test my capability to follow directions. I think it is important to have an aircraft information page for these aircraft.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project