Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Flightgear banners?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Flightgear banners?

Postby sgofferj » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi,

is there a source where I can get FG banners like the ones shown here in the header of the forum - but a bit smaller?
I run a fairly popular weather website as a hobby project (http://www.saakeskus.fi/) and I would like to do some FG "campaign", i.e. change all the banners of the website to FG banners for a month or so and may do something about the theme also.
Did anyone do FG banners in 120x600 and 468x60?
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Re: Flightgear banners?

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Check out our wiki: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Logos

If you do end up creating new banners, we would obviously appreciate if if you could also make them available and upload them to the wiki!
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby sgofferj » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Unfortunately there is nothing in the right sizes... Not sure if I wanna create own banners. I'm no artist and I don't wanna use banners that suck to advertise FG.
What's the license of the banners here in the forum? I could at least resize them to 468x60 so I have the small banners.
And then I have to think of something for the 120x600 place on the frontpage.
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

sgofferj

Postby Gijs » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:05 pm

Our banners are actually unlicensed... They come from various FG users (were approved to be used as banners on the forum) so we'd have to ask the individual authors if you may use it in another way/place.

Might be better to go to the Media subforum, find some nice pics (really easy :P) and ask the posters if you can use their images on your website. You can then cut the images to whatever ratio you want...

Having said that, we could use an update for the banners. FG 2.6.0 looks much better in certain areas than shown on these pics :)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:14 pm

I agree with Gijs,

we have some extremely talented graphics artists in our community, it would probably only take you a single posting and you'd get a number of suggestions. I would seriously give it a try.

Speaking more generally, it might actually be an interesting idea to conduct a little "competition" for people to create their own FG logos and banners...IF we can agree to do this, we should promote it via the newsletter and have a dedicated forum thread here.

This might in fact be a good thing to repeat every year? We could add this to the VOLUNTEER article in the wiki.

Also, a couple of weeks ago, another forum user (Michat) created a really cool splash screen for the bombable addon, if he can spare the time, he would obviously be the right person to create a custom new FG logo (you can send him a PM):

EDIT: New thread: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14597
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Michat » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Bombable generic splash is here Image but I see new version has been released, so I have to change a litle.

I can give you some help if you want to promove FG in your web page just tell me dimensions and text you want for the claim.

I'll try to do my best.
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby sgofferj » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Very cool thanks!
I'm just trying to get the Finnish slogans perfect at the moment.
I had 2 ideas and actually make a few screen shots. One was the cockpit view from a 777 half past the terminal of EFHK and half past the runway, so that you can see the "Helsinki Vantaa" sign and the other was an UH-1 in front of the EFTK Terminal building. There actually is a UH-1 in Finnish Border Patrol colors with the crest painted to the nose.
I thought of those because Finns are very home-crazy, so I thought, the best way to get their attention is show them something familiar. And I think, especially the "chance to fly a Rajavartiolaitos helo" would attract many younger males :).

You can find my screenshots here. As I said, those were only ideas. Unfortunately, EFHK lacks AI traffic, so the apron looks rather boring...

Edit: Your FG logo looks a bit like a mix of the Original Star Trek uniform insignia and the communicator from ST: The Next Generation - "Future Imperfect" :).

sgofferj

Postby sgofferj » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:05 pm

Ok, the literal translations are:

"Fly free" - "Lentäkää vapaasti!" - Which kinda sounds weird... I guess it's because Finnish has 2 different words for free (freedom) and free (cost-free)
"Born in freedom" - "Syntynyt vapaudessa" - Sounds like this "Born free" TV-show from the 80's about this scientist and the lion...

I'll open another thread about the translations...

I personally would need 468x60px and 120x600px. But I guess there are many people which could use a few different sizes :).

sgofferj

Postby Michat » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:42 pm

I'm agree with you. Now I know what are your ideas. I prefer the UH-1 Composition. I'll try to shoot some good photos if the winter lights shines. (that could be difficult). However I'll need the top banner dimensions and the claim

Very Important Reading for all

Oh yes, it seems to be similar icons.
In our defense, I must say that never seen that film but I remember a bald-headed man.

In this case it seems that the famous fireball (bullet) and chevrons are used by both I and they. That thing doesn't surprise me so. We are not the only ones.
This is not a fault or a intentional copy, all we should know that those elements are not property of nobody, we reach similar solution for a similar problem.
The bullet simbols appears in old Asia-China civilization marks, also chevrons, starts too (even the svastik) so always has been a classic source where older and more advanced civilization era left this legacy to us.

To be honest, I like so much that question that you ask me. Maybe is the reason because we are here fighting for freedom.

I could have added graphical clues to my answer but I do not have time to search all the links. However I can give you a clue to start your own investigation. Classic simbology have been kidnapped for those who try to control the world with brands and money.

The first modern reference to the space bolid came from the so call "Nazis", has also been recorded in written accounts (Jules Verne), and just a curiosity, my hated and favourite artist, "inquester" was working in the communist creating highly artistic but antifreedom "propaganda" at the same time.

The space bullet of Star Trek is just a modified copy of one famous Inquester poster. That ST bullet shapes those Maçon secrets, they are "better??" than mines causes they have itself the evil proportion, the space time relation and more secrets on it's message, they use a tecnique called Hermetism. Disney does too.

My niece election gift for Christmas, is the result of an Hermetic and powerfull campaign around the world. Maybe you heard about it.
My niece wants to have The Monster High (evil and zombie) Dools :( I could saw in the toy box, 4 zombies dools units, with and extra free gift. I could beleive it. A keychain thats use the hermetism to trasmit into their brains a zombie representation of Hello Kitty Dead.

Mine not, mines are made in freedom, no secret encapsulated. Just Freedom. Its not a copy.

I would like to be the egipt artist who painted the crocodile in that jerogliphic wall that Lacoste uses in the t shirt. What about paid me rights for 3000 years or more.

If you think this logo could cause to you or FG legal damages. For sure that I'll retired but I can tell that it is my own creation that I use for mumble user's flags.

I have to say. No to the patents. No DRM. Hello Kitty is not Dead. :lol:

Thanks all for reading.

I'll try to do my best Give me image size. Please.
Last edited by Michat on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michat

Postby Michat » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Okay give me time I'll do.

Michat
Michat

Postby sgofferj » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Michat wrote in Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:42 pm:I would like to be the egipt artist who painted the crocodile in that jerogliphic wall that Lacoste uses in the t shirt. What about paid me rights for 3000 years or more.

Or rather the descendant and inheritant who could now claim 3000y of royalties plus interest :D.

If you think this logo could cause to you or FG legal damages. For sure that I'll retired but I can tell that it is my own creation that I use for mumble user's flags.

I didn't think that far. It was just an amused comment. I'm what people commonly call a "trekkie", a Star Trek fan, and it just jumped to my eyes :). No complaint intended! :)

sgofferj

Postby Michat » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:12 am

sgofferj, I did some colour tests in Helsinki, trying to be close to your initial idea. We have poor results for the moment. Horizontal banner is so little to contain a neatly Image. I use vertical banner to test the colour. Very bad results in my opinion in both cases.

Because of your web site colour I think is better to use similar tones which are more friendly that the colours I get with the FG Vantaa Scenery .

Please can you try white horizontal banner in your web I need to know how it fit and what is the location.

About the claim I think you can use also free and open simulator or someting like that.

Here I show you the chaos colour.

Thanks

Michat ;)
Last edited by Michat on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michat

Postby sgofferj » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:27 am

Very cool!!!
I put them to my test server, just hit reload a few times so you can see both.
The 468x60 is displayed on every page except the homepage in the header. The 120x600 only appears on the homepage.

Just a little request - could you use the Finnish Border Patrol livery for the UH-1 instead of the German Army? :)
I'm not totally fixed on the EFHK scenery. It was just an idea. The 120x600 could e.g. also be a close up of the front of the UH-1 with the Border Patrol Lion and some cool background.
I also don't think, matching my website colors would be too important. I usually have Google Ads there and they don't really fit the website colors also. Plus, if you don't adapt them too perfectly to my site, others could use them also. After all, we would like FG to become more popular, right? :)

Edit: I really love the UH-1 horizontal banner! Drop dead cool!!!

sgofferj

Postby Johan G » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:11 am

sgofferj wrote in Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:27 am:I really love the UH-1 horizontal banner! Drop dead cool!!!

I totally agree on that! :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Michat » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:04 pm

I have to update the UH-1. It seems I've loaded the Finland livery, however its the german one that appears.

Happy if you like it, however We'll have new and better banners, thats was only a test.

As soon as you decide the claim. Let me know.

Important question.
is this the Finish livery????

Michat
Michat

Next

Return to The FlightGear project