Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Go and buy your very own FlightProSim scam (flippa.com)

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Go and buy your very own FlightProSim scam (flippa.com)

Postby adrian » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:05 pm

Hooray,
I can assure you that you do *not* want to deal with this kind of people, nor do you wish to ever be associated in the future with them.
If you intention is to see me or other people stop contributing to Flightgear, by all means, start running with the blackhat guys. Just let me know so I can remove myself from this site and mailing list.
adrian

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:13 am

adrian wrote in Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:05 pm:Hooray,
I can assure you that you do *not* want to deal with this kind of people, nor do you wish to ever be associated in the future with them.

Adrian,
I can assure you that, this isn't about me at all - regardless of how much I may agree with you or others.

Yet, I can tell you for a fact, that we already have fellow FlightGear users with such SEO-"talents" among us, some of whom got in touch with me already regarding this whole issue, long time ago.

The FPS debacle is annoying enough that people have tried different things to deal with them, such as crashing the simulator or hard-coding certain strings. Using SEO techniques to deal with them, is just another twist to it - nothing more. Some people know C++, some people know how to create scenery, some people know how to create documentation, others know how to create aircraft - and even others are good at SEO, no matter if it's whitehat, greyhat or blackhat.

Curt mentioned already FPS affiliates complaining about getting penalized by google. I wouldn't even be surprised if this was in response to somebody already fighting them with their own weapons, obviously none of those measures could be linked to FlightGear so far. So, I don't see any problematic relationship personally - because we simply don't have any influence whatsoever.

adrian wrote in Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:05 pm:If you intention is to see me or other people stop contributing to Flightgear, by all means, start running with the blackhat guys. Just let me know so I can remove myself from this site and mailing list.

Like I mentioned previously, this really isn't about me at all. So, I don't understand your "threat" actually. Especially not if it is aimed at me personally?
Besides, there are other people who were truly instrumental to the project for years, who also threatened to leave the project under certain circumstances. Fast forward to a few years later, FlightGear is still alive and kicking, probably even more so than ever before.

The truth is, FlightGear is a decentralized project with a distributed nature, no matter how much we may agree or disagree here, there is nothing that we can do to enforce our own moral standards onto others (such as fellow FG users), except of course repeatedly saying what we don't condone or encourage publicly, and hoping people will respect that.

And Curt -as the project head- has done so already. Really, no point in others, less prominent figures, jumping on the same bandwagon.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Hooray » Sat May 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Update: http://www.blackhatworld.com/blackhat-s ... ipoff.html

just browsed clickbank and found ProFlightSimulator and FlightProSim (has other names).

They have huge gravity and I wondered how can scammy Clickbank produce good quality game.

As an interesting niche.. I did some research and I've found that it's a 1x1 copy of FlightGear.org which is an open source flight simulator.
WITH THE EXACT SCREENSHOTS, THE FLIGHTGEAR.ORG WATERMARK... Everything.

The clickbank marketers crossed the red line... It's as if someone will sell Wordpress as a script he developed..

Just a warning to those who promote this... Don't wonder why you have many refunds.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon May 04, 2015 12:25 am

Maybe, that's a little bit harsh, but there are some little pieces that are actually not GPL but Commons licensed. Some of Dave Culp's planes for example. So, just add one of them to the package with a clause free to use in FlightGear. Wait till you can prove, one of the scammers delivered it, than sue the scammer. FG can use some money.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Hooray » Mon May 04, 2015 2:01 am

suing won't work - simply because there's no legal backing available or used - in general, the FlightGear project only uses the GPL to attract contributors, but not to enforce legalities - this is a long-standing practice, and frequently raised on the devel list, too ( in fact, look up Zakalawe's comments in the context of the fgmembers discussoin) - in theory, it's all great - but at some point, someone (person/entity) actually needs to consult lawyers - and while the FSF does provide corresponding services, this has never been used by the FG project, even in highly questionable cases (FSP et al have indeed violated contributor's copyright by using certain video/screen shots).
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri May 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Well, ion other threads, you promote the idea, there is an "official" ... now you say, there isn't. Can you make up your mind? On another question ... we don't have any hobby flying lawyers on this board?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby clrCoda » Fri May 08, 2015 10:54 pm

There happens to be a lawyer that joined my VA recently. :)

In other news, I've seen this term "official" used in threads that speak to repositories. One might could make a case that the repository that represents the planes on the "official" flightgear.org website might could be extended the term "official" as well.

For my money( here we go with his money again ) any plane that works in flightgear from any repository or hanger is an official flightgear plane designed to work officially in flightgear no matter the opinion of what is an official repository or not.

The fact that a newb might see the flightgear.org aircraft page as "official" is instantly relieved as soon as that person begins to find the other sources.

--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Hooray » Sat May 09, 2015 2:23 am

Jabberwocky wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 10:07 pm:Well, ion other threads, you promote the idea, there is an "official" ... now you say, there isn't.

please stop making unsubstantiated claims about my postings, or expect your postings to be reported and moderated for mis-representing what others said.
Besides, please also stop the constant thread-hijacking, this is not about your other "construction sites" (fgmembers et al).
In fact, you could spend 20 minutes reviewing the archives, and learn more about the background of the project (including such legalities), instead of making pointless postings here.

Thanks for considering that.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat May 09, 2015 2:33 am

Well, people have eyes and people can read, Hooray. No way to talk yourself out of your own posts ...
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby Hooray » Sat May 09, 2015 2:37 am

right, back to ignoring you, you already have wasted enough of our time ... good luck on your journey in the FG community
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat May 09, 2015 2:43 am

Now, that there is peace again ... since Hooray ignores all other opinions and don't stand to his fraudulent use of the term "official", we can all take a break ... till he is back and threatens to ban, move, and silence opposition in about three days.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby Hooray » Sat May 09, 2015 2:48 am

dude, I am honored seeing the degree of attention you are giving me, but you're basically talking to a fence post here, and just wasting your time - you could just as well do something productive (that is, if you remember how that works) - and yes, obviously, reported postings will be reviewed/moderated still once the need arises.

But seriously, have you wondered why all the folks with an actual track record stopped talking to you lately ? Hint: it is for a reason ...
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat May 09, 2015 2:51 am

Oh, I have no problems with doing something productive. Actually, while I type here, I have the new B-52 in the air for a little engine fuel consumption test. She will be on FGMEMBERS probably in about two weeks.
However, it makes me grin a little how fast you react to someone who you allegedly ignored ... seems, one can't trust your words even in that aspect.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby Hooray » Sat May 09, 2015 3:01 am

Jabberwocky wrote in Sat May 09, 2015 2:51 am:However, it makes me grin a little how fast you react to someone who you allegedly ignored ... seems, one can't trust your words even in that aspect.

That is so true - and I just checked my UCP: for some reason you ended up on my "friends" list, too - which seems to date back to one of your threads I was subscribed to a while ago (the Canvas/menubar thing you -also- didn't quite understand how to get working ...) - but don't worry, I fixed that - however, rest assured, people will still receive reports when your postings are reported, and should you manage to screw up -again- people will also act accordingly.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat May 09, 2015 8:18 am

Cmon, cmon, is this even related to flippa or what ever the flip (pun intended) this thread is about? I think certain users, not speaking about anybody, mind you! need to shut up, and fight in a bunker, or rather, PM.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

PreviousNext

Return to The FlightGear project