Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

If the "Fly Free" slogan is copyrighted...

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

If the "Fly Free" slogan is copyrighted...

Postby kyokoyama » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:06 pm

...then I think we have another problem with licensing.
But this time, not with Them. (AKA people in FlightProSim)

This time, Microsoft.

If they are using that slogan for how I think they are, I feel like this is a serious threat to both FlightGear's integrity and continuation with the project itself...
(despite the unlikeliness of the second, since MS loves taking people's money)

What I mean is that MS Flight!, the successor to MSFS, had a video using the slogan "Fly Free" and "fly for free"... Exactly FlightGear...

Would this count as a serious threat to FlightGear? O.O

Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Re: If the "Fly Free" slogan is copyrighted...

Postby Zbyszek » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:24 pm

Zbyszek

Postby shadow » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:58 pm

I think the same thing, if this is gonna be for free FG will be used only by those who really like it. (I must say that the graphics are really nice though).
If the "realism" factor will be implemented as much as the graphics then FG won't live for long in my opinion...
F-16 is the way
shadow

Callsign: shadow

Postby StuartC » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:46 pm

Are they saying "Fly for free" in the attempt to make it look like the sim will be free of cost ? Unlikely being microsoft and false advertising to boot.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby Kabuki » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:31 am

shadow wrote in Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:58 pm:I think the same thing, if this is gonna be for free FG will be used only by those who really like it.

I think that's already the case. It's not that expensive to buy MSFS, and for those with lower ethical standards, I assume it can be found fairly easily on the usual pirate sites.

I fly FG because of the open source. It's sorta like the difference in owning your own plane with your own hangar and tools, and being able to work on every nut and bolt, vs. Flying somebody else's plane that's locked in a hangar when you're not flying it.

I really enjoy the "virtual mechanics" of the sim. Today, I was flying a Polikarpov and ran out of gas. I made a soft landing, and cajoled a friendly native into filling my tank. But then the engine wouldn't start. I got under the hood by hitting '/', and looked at the engine, saw that "out-of-fuel" was still set to "true", so I toggled it, and she started right up again.

You just can't do that in Microsoft aircraft.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby erik » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:12 pm

kyokoyama wrote in Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:06 pm:...then I think we have another problem with licensing.

he Fly Free phrase was introduced by FlightGear in 2003 when David Megginson added the splash screen of the J3-Cub.
There is no way Microsoft could copyright it.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby stuart » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi Erik,

I was wondering where that had first come up :)

We should start using it again more widely - I prefer it to the current "sophisticated, professional, open-source flight simulation" slogan on the web site.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Johan G » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:00 pm

stuart wrote in Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:52 pm:I prefer [Fly Free] to the current "sophisticated, professional, open-source flight simulation" slogan on the web site.

I agree to that. It's simple and inviting. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby kyokoyama » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:07 am

May I officially add on that the worst-case scenario came (halfway) true.

MS Flight will have a trial version offered for free, except it will be limited to certain aircraft and the Hawaiian islands for scenery.
(You know, that actually acts as a better quarantine for new users compared to San Francisco... but oh well)

Just to say.

See here for an article about this.
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Return to The FlightGear project