Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Interview with a developer

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Interview with a developer

Postby Omega » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:54 am

Maybe we can make a list of all the developers that are still developing for FG with a number next to them ,
and then we use http://www.random.org/ to select a random developer (like in a lottery :) ).
When we contact the developer and after he write the interview we remove the name and his number from the list.
The engine is the heart of an aeroplane, but the pilot is its soul.
Omega

Callsign: Star,EHAA_CT,MIA0176
IRC name: Omega
Version: GIT

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:16 am

That might be an idea - but the issue is, contributing to the newsletter and interviewing yourself is also taking up some time, and most people would obviously appreciate having a choice. So I am not sure if literally requesting a certain contributor to interview himself isn't going to fire back at us?
I think it might be easier to simply have a convention that each months interviewee finds a successor for next month's newsletter, sort of by "invitation" - i.e. actively asking 2-3 people (via forum/mailing list/chat) if they want to contribute to the newsletter interview, and once they have found a successor they simply move on.

That would ensure that there is somebody looking for an interviewee each month - without putting any burden on a single person. It would be just about actively looking around for people who want to contribute and then invite them.

kyokoyama wrote in Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:06 am:I guess, but from what I'm seeing, there's that awkward feeling of answering that section for yourself, which's keeping a lot of people from being featured.

IF that's really the problem, my suggestion is that the last interviewee simply becomes the interviewer of the next month - how about that? So, anybody who's been interviewed would become an interviewer and look around for people who are available - that would also mean that two people could work together. Sort of like a mentor...

kyokoyama wrote:
redneck wrote in Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:11 pm:ndomly select a contributor to be placed on the wiki newsletter each month.

This, I really think, should be implemented; maybe Curt, Gijs, could choose the next featured contributor?

I don't think that would work, I believe it'd be better to have the aforementioned convention that anybody who's been interviewed, becomes next month's interviewer - including the responsibility to find a successor.

On the other hand, we could have a separate wiki page with a list of interview candidates - so that people can add themselves to say that they are available for interviews. That would seem like the best compromise to me? What do you guys think?
Last edited by Hooray on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Gijs » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:51 pm

I'd just like to add that we already have contributors (not just developers!!) willing to write the interview for the December and January editions.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:00 pm

sounds great, my suggestion would then be to always feature the upcoming interview at the end of each month's interview, i.e. by concluding at the end and giving a heads up for next month's interview/interviewee.

If we can come up with a convention like this, things will work "automatically" - because every interviewee will be mentioned one month prior to the actual interview.

So we'd end up with a system where interviewees get to look for successors, but also where former interviewees may become interviewers, too. This may be less awkward for some people I guess?

If, on the other hand, we should end up with an "over supply" of interviewers and interviewees, we really might want to add a new wiki page to collect all people, and assign them a month.

The good thing about this whole convention thing is that people would end up with a mentor who has previously contributed to the wiki, and who could provide some guidance on how to contribute to the newsletter or the wiki in general.

Also, I feel it would be a good idea to encourage people to contribute to the list of interview questions?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project