Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Interview with a developer

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Interview with a developer

Postby skyop » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:00 am

I've been thinking about a fun idea for the Newsletter: an "Interview with a developer" feature. We could select a random aircraft/core developer from the list/forums and ask them a series of questions. :) Some ideas:

• What project are you working on right now?
  • What do you plan on doing in the future?
  • Are you happy with the way the FlightGear project is going?
  • What do you enjoy most about developing for FlightGear?
  • Are there any "hidden features" you have worked on in FlightGear that new users may miss?
  • What advice can you give to new developers who want to get started on their first aircraft/new feature/Nasal script?

I think it'd be a really cool thing to have.
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Re: Interview with a developer

Postby Sealbhach » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:11 am

This is a very good idea and good questions there too. I would be very interested to read this.

Sealbhach

Postby Thorsten » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:48 am

That certainly sounds like a good idea to me.
Thorsten

Postby Gijs » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:29 am

Great idea! Skyop would you mind being the "first" interviewer? Maybe the interviewer position can be on a monthly base (so everyone can be interviewed, including the interviewers :P)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby skyop » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:56 pm

Sure Gijs, just see who you can get to be at the other end. ;)
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop

Postby Dragonmaster Lou » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:46 pm

On a similar vein, why not have a developer sign up to be interviewed on the FLOSS Weekly podcast? I think FlightGear is a marquee open source project that would be great on that show.
Dragonmaster Lou

Postby Torsten » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:47 pm

I like the idea of an interview within the newsletter, please go ahead with that!

For those of you who are able to understand German, there is a one houre live interview from LinuxTag 2011 with ThorstenB and TorstenD available in the radiotux archive here: http://blog.radiotux.de/2011/05/24/linu ... lightgear/

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline

Postby Hooray » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:52 pm

skyop wrote in Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:00 am:I've been thinking about a fun idea for the Newsletter: an "Interview with a developer" feature. We could select a random aircraft/core developer from the list/forums and ask them a series of questions. :) Some ideas:

• What project are you working on right now?
  • What do you plan on doing in the future?
  • Are you happy with the way the FlightGear project is going?
  • What do you enjoy most about developing for FlightGear?
  • Are there any "hidden features" you have worked on in FlightGear that new users may miss?
  • What advice can you give to new developers who want to get started on their first aircraft/new feature/Nasal script?

I think it'd be a really cool thing to have.

Yes, that's a neat idea - the template for upcoming newsletters is stored here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Talk:Next_newsletter
Usually, this will be copied and pasted over to the next newsletter at the beginning of each month.

You can add a new section (and questions) to the newsletter, so that it will be part of all new newsletters.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 am

Gijs wrote in Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:29 am:Great idea! Skyop would you mind being the "first" interviewer? Maybe the interviewer position can be on a monthly base (so everyone can be interviewed, including the interviewers :P)

I took the liberty and implemented skyop's idea by moving everything to the wiki (again), given the success of the wiki-maintained newsletter, it seemed only natural to also use the wiki for collecting interview questions and inviting people to contribute, please see: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13714&p=139236#p139236

So if you have any suggestions for new questions, please just add them to the wiki.
Once we have a number of questions, we can use the mailing list and invite developers to answer a bunch of them - simply by copying/pasting everything to the current newsletter.

I think that will be more successful than having a dedicated "interviewer", simply because it only requires one person (i.e. the developer to be interviewed) to directly edit the newsletter. Also, developers will obviously be able to decide themselves to which questions to answer and possibly even raise completely new ones.

Hey, after all this is "open source", right - so let's have an "open interview", too ;-)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby redneck » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:57 pm

Why do we have to limit it to core devs and aircraft devs? There's much more to FG than that. I'm happy to say I've made my own contributions, and not just through feedback and promotions on YouTube. But I'm not an aircraft or core developer. I don't even develop scenery. I've only made special addons like FGFSCopilot, and some loggers for generating AI scenarios and flightplans. Actually, that's about all I've done. When I learn more and come up with new ideas, I'll develop more.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Hooray » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:48 pm

fair enough, I guess we'll rename it then "Contributor's Interview"?
Please feel free to interview yourself then, redneck ;-)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby redneck » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:11 pm

LOL. I suppose what we could do to eliminate any awkwardness of self-interviews, we could post the questions somewhere around here as a survey, and then randomly select a contributor to be placed on the wiki newsletter each month.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Hooray » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:29 am

@redneck, if you are concerned about having to interview yourself, I don't mind asking the questions at all (hey after all, we NEED to get started, right?):

redneck: How long have you been involved in FlightGear?
redneck: Have you previously used other flight simulators or simulation software in general?
redneck: Do you remember what first got you interested in FlightGear? How did you learn about FlightGear? In other words, why did you actually download and try FG?
redneck: What was your first impression about FlightGear?
redneck: Compared to other flight simulation software, what are FlightGear's major benefits in your opinion?
redneck: What were/are your major interests in FlightGear ?
redneck: Do you think it is necessary to know how to program in order to contribute to FlightGear?
redneck: Have you ever used FlightGear professionally or for educational purposes?
redneck: What about FlightGear as a "game", do you think it can be used as such?
redneck: What project are you working on right now ?
redneck: On average, how much time do you spend working with/contributing to FlightGear?
redneck: What do you plan on doing in the future?
redneck: Which of the more recent FlightGear developments do you consider most interesting/appealing?
redneck: Are you happy with the way the FlightGear project is going?
redneck: Is there some feature that you'd truly like to see in FlightGear one day?
redneck: What do you think could be done to attract even more new users and contributors to FlightGear?
redneck: What do you enjoy most about developing for FlightGear?
redneck: Are there any "hidden features" you have worked on in FlightGear that new users may miss?
redneck: What advice can you give to new developers who want to get started on their first aircraft/new feature/Nasal script?
redneck: What about interacting with the FlightGear community? Any tips/experiences you'd like to share?
redneck: Have you ever recommended FlightGear to other users, friends/family?
redneck: Is there anything else you'd like to share with us?

You can post your answers here, add them directly to the wiki or send them to me by PM, whatever suits you best! :-)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Hooray » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:32 pm

I think this idea is really working out nicely so far. But maybe it would be a good idea for each interviewee to invite other contributors for next month's interview? Just to ensure that people are made aware of this feature. What do you think?
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby kyokoyama » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:06 am

I guess, but from what I'm seeing, there's that awkward feeling of answering that section for yourself, which's keeping a lot of people from being featured.

redneck wrote in Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:11 pm:ndomly select a contributor to be placed on the wiki newsletter each month.

This, I really think, should be implemented; maybe Curt, Gijs, or the previous month's interviewee could choose the next featured contributor?
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Next

Return to The FlightGear project