Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Some pointers

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Some pointers

Postby horacio » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:27 am

timjschong wrote:I thought the Mac FG launcher looked OK.

hehehe, MAC has a very nice design itself. So, anything looks great on it.

richter wrote:If by "design" you mean eye-candy like excessively shaded, contoured, garishly colored controls and backgrounds which serve absolutely no function, I'd rather have none at all...

Not all of us are you, and many others prefer an eye-candy environment. Life is not four grey lines... is full of contoured curves, shadows, circles and colors. And if I'm playing a simulator, I want to find myself standing in a familiar ambient, even all those design have no special function at sim itself at all.

Anyway, I was not meaning about the eye-candy environment. I was meaning about simple "design" of an interface. You know what means "design", in graphic design?. I'm talking about order and browsing experience. That's all.

richter wrote:I'd rather have everything in one window than have to click through eight different wizard panels for stuff I never change.

Again... not all of us are you. And a good interface design is thought for the whole possible universe of users, and different possibilities of performance enviroments. Fgrun has not at all.

richter wrote:I don't know exactly myself, but it's an advanced feature, presumably enabling something called the ATC610x protocol. That's why it's in "Advanced Options"! Should we instead call it something in "normal English" like "Funky Communication Thingy For Advanced Users (Not You)"? Or perhaps you think it's not hidden enough, so it should be placed in the "Super Duper Advanced Options", which is accessed through "Super Advanced Options", which is... ;)

As fgrun, you are mixing apples with oranges in what about I said, hehehe.

1.- I talked about simple labeled titles. There was the example of "ATC610x protocol".
2.- I said in ironically way that even having 8 different items in 500 square pixels, finally you have too advanced options where is... "general"??

richter wrote:Fgrun is probably used for about five seconds -- launch, Select Aircraft, Select Airport, Run, and the sim is running. And occasionally you might go back to try other settings. Any user who finds this too confusing probably doesn't want to be running a flight simulator. 8)

Last time.. not all of us... etc, etc. Eg: a user like me, having a very poor and low system, needs to do changes every time, at many settings, at every new session: this one because I'm not in multiplayer session, so... may enabled random objects, random vegetation, and etc. This other, because I'm on multiplayer session, so need to disabled this, and this and this... And so on, many different settings that some users may do in every new session by a lot of different reasons. Not all users only select airport, aircraft and go run!!!!. Someones make many changes at every session. And fgrun is a poor tool to easy use, and shows a lack of foresight on the end user. And that's what graphic design study... how to improve and makes nice the experience of user. You know something? after 7 months using FG almost every day, and a lot, a lot of hours, there are still some settings that cannot remember if are in this or that item... because they are so similar and not well divided... "is this setting in "optional settings" or in "graphic options"? and... ah, of course... "optional settings" is inside "Advanced settings".... hahahahaha. Who understand?

FG began as an a free option for the dissatisfaction of development in payment simulators, right?

"The idea for Flight Gear was born out of a dissatisfaction with current commercial PC flight simulators."

So, if you are dissatisfied with something, it's because you want to do it better. Well, after some years, it's time to see if we have reached this goal.

Your answer, as many others I'm coming seeing in the forum show me a serious lack of self-criticism in many FG users. Everybody recognize to FS an X-plane as well developed environments and graphic simulators, and because this all said: "Yes, FG is still a project in development and has many shortcomings", (although have yet many years behind), but every time you put the finger on the wound, then everybody have an explanation to give, and when you compare it to FS or X-plane, most said "Ah, but I don't like those, for this and this"... "no, FS has a serious lack in this, in this, and in this".

Let's accept at once... FG is ugly, disordered, complex and full of bugs... but we love it, don't we? Is like your mother.. perhaps is ugly or pretty, perhaps is nice or unpleasant, but is your mother and you love her, right?. So, once accepted this honestly, then let's start to improve all those things that are bad done, like fgrun that has no logical organization, nor a nice design, and need to be changed.
HORACIO CONTRERAS
El Hangar de Horacio
... ¿y dónde está el Teniente Bello?

Callsign: CC-HCR
Version: 2

Postby Hooray » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:59 pm

So, once accepted this honestly, then let's start to improve all those things that are bad done, like fgrun that has no logical organization, nor a nice design, and need to be changed.

these days, improving the UI of a program is often even possible for non programmers - because there are GUI editors that save to XML. So that might be a worthwhile option to pursue.

horacio wrote:FG is ugly, disordered, complex and full of bugs... but we love it, don't we? Is like your mother.. perhaps is ugly or pretty, perhaps is nice or unpleasant, but is your mother and you love her, right?.

Sorry about your mother :lol:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby horacio » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Hooray wrote:
Sorry about your mother :lol:

hahahahaha.... thanks good friend.... :D
HORACIO CONTRERAS
El Hangar de Horacio