Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Help Wanted: Windows Package Maintainer

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Help Wanted: Windows Package Maintainer

Postby xDraconian » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:07 pm

The core team needs help from a Windows user that is able to maintain a good working Window build.

This process already exists to support our Nightly and Release builds, but we are seeking an individual to keep it in good working order.

The ability to compile FG from source and some Windows batch scripting is a required skill.

If you are willing and able to take up this role, please reach out to James Turner, or reply here.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Re: Help Wanted: Windows Package Maintainer

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:23 pm

What are the main things that need done to maintain the build?

I am compiling on Windows for several years now. I am not extra familiar with batch apart from the very basics unfortunately but would be glad to assist with this if there is no-one else perhaps more familiar with batch scripting.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby xDraconian » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:02 am

Thanks Jonathan. I not aware of any changes that are currently needed - the process works at the moment, but we don't have an owner to keep it healthy.

I suspect that mostly it will involve researching any reported issue when the Windows Nightly is failing and making any adjustment necessary to get it working again.
I recommend that you connect with James for more detail. I believe the scripts are available via FGMeta if you want to take a look at the current state.
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:32 pm

You can look at the history of the corresponding commits, F-JJTH, rominet and FredB used to handle those things - primarily packaging/installer stuff, i.e. adding/updating dependencies as needed.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby cgdae » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:34 am

It would be great if someone could figure out a way to include FFmpeg libraries in Windows builds. If cmake can see these libraries when building, it will automatically enable the built-in video encoding system (e.g. this already works on Linux).

FFmpeg website has links to pre-built libraries on Windows: https://ffmpeg.org/download.html#build-windows

Also see: https://wiki.flightgear.org/Video_encoding

Thanks,

- Jules
cgdae

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:08 pm

The links don't contain libraries or headers unfortunately; only executables. But the github repository seems to have the source code!

Is the following information correct and up to date?

On Unix, we require these libraries and their header files to be available at build time:

avcodec
avuti [*] I presume avutiL?
swscale
avformat
If these libraries are installed, a standard cmake build should automatically include video encoding support.
legoboyvdlp

Postby cgdae » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:38 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:08 pm:The links don't contain libraries or headers unfortunately; only executables. But the github repository seems to have the source code!

Is the following information correct and up to date?

On Unix, we require these libraries and their header files to be available at build time:

avcodec
avuti [*] I presume avutiL?
swscale
avformat
If these libraries are installed, a standard cmake build should automatically include video encoding support.

Yes, that information is up to date. [I've just fixed the avutil typo.]

Thanks,

- Jules
cgdae

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:41 pm

Hi Jules, I've just used vcpkg to build ffpmeg libraries. I'm now going to try it out in CMake to make sure that it builds successfully. However, I can't run 2020.4 myself -- thanks to Intel's drivers and OSG not cooperating -- so I can't check that the feature works normally.

Code: Select all
-- Found FFmpeg: C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGearBuild/windows-3rd-party/msvc140/3rdParty.x64/lib/avcodec.lib;C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGearBuild/windows-3rd-party/msvc140/3rdParty.x64/lib/avformat.lib;C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGearBuild/windows-3rd-party/msvc140/3rdParty.x64/lib/avutil.lib;C:/Users/redpa/Documents/FlightGearBuild/windows-3rd-party/msvc140/3rdParty.x64/lib/swscale.lib  found components: AVCODEC AVFORMAT AVUTIL SWSCALE

Looks fine here

Edit - getting a compile error:

Code: Select all
C:\Users\redpa\Documents\FlightGearBuild\simgear\simgear\screen\video-encoder-internal.hxx(273,1): error C4576: a paren
thesized type followed by an initializer list is a non-standard explicit type conversion syntax (compiling source file
C:\Users\redpa\Documents\FlightGearBuild\simgear\simgear\screen\video-encoder.cxx) [C:\Users\redpa\Documents\FlightGear
Build\simgear-build\simgear\SimGearScene.vcxproj]
C:\Users\redpa\Documents\FlightGearBuild\simgear\simgear\screen\video-encoder.cxx(173,5): error C3861: 'vasprintf': ide
ntifier not found [C:\Users\redpa\Documents\FlightGearBuild\simgear-build\simgear\SimGearScene.vcxproj]

Is this related - if so, what else do I need to do or add?

Edit 2 - see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/332 ... enterprise, removing the brackets works for me.

vasprintf seems to be Linux-specific consider replacing with some other type of message handler.
legoboyvdlp

Return to The FlightGear project