Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Software Requirements Specifications

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Software Requirements Specifications

Postby annagzosan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:47 pm

Greetings,
My name is Anna and I am a third year undergraduate student in the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. As a part of my "Software engineering " class, I have a project where I need to write a SRS documentation and I find FlightGear a really interesting project that I'd love to "work" with. Is there already one or having one is something you're interested in?
Thank you in advance.
annagzosan

Re: Software Requirements Specifications

Postby Johan G » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:06 pm

Welcome to the forum, Anna! :D
annagzosan wrote in Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:47 pm:Is there already one or having one is something you're interested in?

For better or worse we usually work on what we feel is missing or underdeveloped, and there is no central board of directors or anything like that. Often individual developers have published road maps for what they are working on, but not always. One of the developers have once described us as "a herd of cats", which seem like a fitting description. :wink:

I guess you could try look up opinions on what is missing or not working as expected, as well as various roadmaps, and make a hypothetical SRS.

Edit: Spelling.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby callahanp » Mon May 10, 2021 3:24 pm

This may be a bit late, but if you are still interested in the Flightgear project, take a look at https://wiki.flightgear.org/Main_Page

I've started on a somewhat similar project to document the existing flightgear c++ code, nasal scripts and data files.

see https://github.com/callahanp/FlightGearDeepDive (under construction.. There's not much there yet.)
callahanp

Callsign: pac1

Postby Hooray » Wed May 12, 2021 3:43 pm

There's bugman's python script to parse the sources and obtain a list of subsystems - other than that, there's also legacy code that isn't "yet" using the SGSubsystem structure at all - and especially most stuff using threading (SGThread) is hardly documented.

For a quick way to extract a list of active subsystems, see: https://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Reset ... leshooting

(This will basically query fgfs interactively and create a table of active subsystems)

However, there are pros & cons to different approaches - it really depends on what you have in mind. Speaking in general, Doxygen is a really useful tool, or the "Source Navigator" (redhat)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to The FlightGear project