Board index FlightGear Support Flying Helicopter

Interaction wakes

Helicopter flying is completely different from flying a fixed-wing aircraft and thus requires different skills.

Interaction wakes

Postby goztell » Mon May 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Hello everybody,

I am new in this forum and new with this kind of simulator.
I would like to know if it`s possible to use flightyear to simulate this kind of procedures in a project of R&D for Aeronautic deppartment.
In this project, I would like to simulate an interaction wakes between two helicopters (one of them is coaxial rotor drone). It could be possible? I have the wake`s velocity field from one helicopter (PUMA) studied by CFD.
To sum up, I would like to know the behaviour of the coaxial rotor helicopter inside the other helicopter`s wake.
It will be possible?

Fist of all, I would need to know how flightyear works:
-What kind of inputs can I develope?
-Can I select the power and characteristics of the helicopter simulated?
-Can I simulate the wake behind of the helicopter? (winds, velocity field, pressure...)

This is an important project and all of your help will be really helpfull.

Thanks in advance.
goztell

Re: Interaction wakes

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 08, 2017 3:20 pm

As it happens, Bertrand Coconnier is currently working on the feature - maybe you could get in touch with him via the mailing list about extending it to helicopters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n54BZZB ... e=youtu.be
Thorsten

Postby goztell » Wed May 10, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks.

But this kind of simulator follow the rules of fluid dynamics? Could be the simulations real??

In the other hand, I am triying to start the simulator, and it don´t works. When I click in Run, it don't respond.

Thanks in advance.
goztell

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:17 am

goztell wrote in Wed May 10, 2017 8:14 am:In the other hand, I am triying to start the simulator, and it don´t works. When I click in Run, it don't respond.

you should start another topic over in the support area for this problem...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Wed May 10, 2017 12:15 pm

But this kind of simulator follow the rules of fluid dynamics? Could be the simulations real??

If you mean 'Can we run flight simulation by real-time computational fluid dynamics?' the answer is no - no one has the processing power to do that, computational fluid dynamics runs on computing clusters for hours even for simple problems.

If you mean 'Is what you see in the video based on physics' then the answer is yes, it's based on the PhD thesis of an aerospace engineer as far as I remember.
Thorsten

Return to Helicopter