Board index FlightGear Support Flying Autopilot

777 Auto Pilot

Using the autopilot is an important thing when flying airliners.

777 Auto Pilot

Postby Rick Ace » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:07 pm

I have the 777-200ER that came with the 2.0.0 version of FG. I have no clue on how to use the Auto Pilot. Enlighten me :mrgreen:
Rick Ace

Callsign: rickace
Version: 2.6.0

Re: 777 Auto Pilot

Postby skyop » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:42 am

It's been a couple weeks, but I think I'll reply anyway, for any beginners who are looking for a 777 autopilot quick-start. ;)

Autopilot controls, from left to right, top to bottom:

A/P - Autopilot engage/disengage button
F/D - Flight director (the pink lines that show up on your attitude indicator)
A/T ARM (L/R) - Arm/disarm autothrottle for left/right engines
CLB CON - Continue climbing using the vertical speed the plane was at when this setting was first engaged
A/T - Autothrottle engage/disengage button- unlike the real 777, the autothrottle is not independent from the main autopilot, so you'll have to activate this switch AND the main autopilot to use the autothrottle
IAS <> MACH - Switch between IAS speed mode and Mach number speed mode
IAS window - Set your desired IAS speed or Mach speed here
LNAV - Tells the autopilot to follow the Route Manager settings laterally (control the heading)- this has never worked for me, the autopilot just makes meaningless circles/goes north
VNAV - Same as LNAV, except vertically (control the altitude)- never tried this setting before
FLCH - Don't know what this does :P
A/P DISENGAGE - Dedicated autopilot disengage button- click twice
HDG <> TRK - Switch between heading bug and course track
HDG window - Set your desired heading or course track here
Bank limits (AUTO/5/25) - Define banking limits for turning- i.e. 5 for gentle turns at cruising altitude, 25 for good maneuverability at lower speeds; auto will be fine in most cases
HOLD - Engage/disengage heading or course hold mode
V/S <> FPA - Switch between vertical speed and (whatever FPA means goes here :P)
V/S window - Set your desired vertical speed or (whatever FPA means goes here) here
VS/FPA - Engage/disengage vertical speed/(whatever FPA means goes here) hold mode
ALTITUDE window - Set your desired altitude here
Altitude selection setting (AUTO/1000) - Switch between automatic incrementing (AUTO) and incrementing by the thousands (1000)- this setting only helps when selecting the altitude via the knobs, this won't apply if using the Autopilot Settings dialog
HOLD - Engage/disengage altitude hold mode
LOC - Track NAV1 VOR, flying by the heading given by the NAV1 radial
APP - Track an ILS glideslope, laterally and vertically- can be overriden by LOC, HDG, and ALT (i.e. you want to maintain a certain altitude until you capture the glideslope)
A/P - Engage/disengage autopilot
F/D - Flight director

Got it? Now you know your autopilot basics! :D
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop
Version: next

Postby mischka » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:09 am

FPA means "Flight Path Angle". If you set it to 3, the airplane will climb at an angle of 3 degrees.

can anyone explain whats the use of using TRK instead of heading?
Do you fly a lot in Europe? Have a look at European Virtual Airlines
Or do you fly all over the planet? Then have a look at Atlas Virtual Airlines
mischka

Callsign: EUR001

Postby zakalawe » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:37 am

mischka wrote:can anyone explain whats the use of using TRK instead of heading?

Switches the AP so that ground-track, instead of heading, is used for hold / select. Track is the course over the ground - this is usually different from heading, depending on wind direction and velocity. For enroute modes, it's track one usually cares about - but when being vectored by ATC, they will typically issue headings, and similarly when holding at a VOR.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW

Postby Rick Ace » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:13 pm

skyop wrote:It's been a couple weeks, but I think I'll reply anyway, for any beginners who are looking for a 777 autopilot quick-start. ;)

Autopilot controls, from left to right, top to bottom:

A/P - Autopilot engage/disengage button
F/D - Flight director (the pink lines that show up on your attitude indicator)
A/T ARM (L/R) - Arm/disarm autothrottle for left/right engines
CLB CON - Continue climbing using the vertical speed the plane was at when this setting was first engaged
A/T - Autothrottle engage/disengage button- unlike the real 777, the autothrottle is not independent from the main autopilot, so you'll have to activate this switch AND the main autopilot to use the autothrottle
IAS <> MACH - Switch between IAS speed mode and Mach number speed mode
IAS window - Set your desired IAS speed or Mach speed here
LNAV - Tells the autopilot to follow the Route Manager settings laterally (control the heading)- this has never worked for me, the autopilot just makes meaningless circles/goes north
VNAV - Same as LNAV, except vertically (control the altitude)- never tried this setting before
FLCH - Don't know what this does :P
A/P DISENGAGE - Dedicated autopilot disengage button- click twice
HDG <> TRK - Switch between heading bug and course track
HDG window - Set your desired heading or course track here
Bank limits (AUTO/5/25) - Define banking limits for turning- i.e. 5 for gentle turns at cruising altitude, 25 for good maneuverability at lower speeds; auto will be fine in most cases
HOLD - Engage/disengage heading or course hold mode
V/S <> FPA - Switch between vertical speed and (whatever FPA means goes here :P)
V/S window - Set your desired vertical speed or (whatever FPA means goes here) here
VS/FPA - Engage/disengage vertical speed/(whatever FPA means goes here) hold mode
ALTITUDE window - Set your desired altitude here
Altitude selection setting (AUTO/1000) - Switch between automatic incrementing (AUTO) and incrementing by the thousands (1000)- this setting only helps when selecting the altitude via the knobs, this won't apply if using the Autopilot Settings dialog
HOLD - Engage/disengage altitude hold mode
LOC - Track NAV1 VOR, flying by the heading given by the NAV1 radial
APP - Track an ILS glideslope, laterally and vertically- can be overriden by LOC, HDG, and ALT (i.e. you want to maintain a certain altitude until you capture the glideslope)
A/P - Engage/disengage autopilot
F/D - Flight director

Got it? Now you know your autopilot basics! :D

Thank You :D I already got the Altitude hold, Heading Hold, and Route Manager working, but this will be very nice reference. I learned alot more here.. Thank you so much :mrgreen:
Rick Ace

Postby skyop » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:01 pm

You're welcome. :) IMO the 777 autopilot is the most stable and well-developed in FlightGear. ;)
Aircraft: [ CRJ700-family | DC-10-30 ] Scenery: [ KBFL ]
skyop

IRC name: skyop

Postby Rick Ace » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:33 pm

skyop wrote:You're welcome. :) IMO the 777 autopilot is the most stable and well-developed in FlightGear. ;)

Don't forget xsaint's new plane ;)
Rick Ace

Postby lolalilo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:36 am

this autopilot work well, and for me the lnav mode work too, you have to use route manager to activate your route, with some waypoint, (VOR & Airport ID) and the TRK will following BRG . if you wana know the difference between TRK, HDG and BRG just have a look on this picture ...
:wink:
lolalilo

Postby Rick Ace » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks ;) It's solved now.
Rick Ace

Postby davidtodorovic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:07 pm

The 777 have big problems with it's AP . I'm using 777 for a lnog time but soem things JUST NEEEEED TO BE DONE. When using live wheter data,altitute control goes crazy. It's imposible to make it stop at one alt.! NAV1 Loc many times just didi nothing! I 've set everything right and duble-checked but still,the plane was simply doing nothing. To cacth a GS correctly? . . . No chance. Everything else is great ,and works..but this is really problematic. Speedbrakes ,they are doing nothing,even when deplyed thre's no slowing down. Auto or ground spoliers...forget it,not working. And just to poiont that out,I'm talking about 2,8 version.

To make this sotry short,this plane needs a loooooot of work on it"AP ..

See ya and keep up good work.
davidtodorovic

Postby Hyde » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:21 pm

The 777 have big problems with it's AP

Have you tried 2.9 version or GIT version? It still happens?
Hyde

Callsign: N407DS
Version: GIT

Return to Autopilot