Board index FlightGear Support Flying Autopilot

LNAV circling at faster simulation speeds  Topic is solved

Using the autopilot is an important thing when flying airliners.

LNAV circling at faster simulation speeds  

Postby tarunmarella » Fri May 22, 2020 2:11 pm

Hello...
Flying a long haul route in a 777-300ER
At a normal simulation speed (x1), the Autopilot works just about fine, going exactly in the set route.
But at a rate of say, x16 and 32x, the LNAV goes haywire by turning circles left and right , until I return to the default simulation speed and let the plane return to the set route.
It’s a bit irritating, especially on long haul flights.
Currently, I just HOLD the heading and then after 10-15 mins (when I’m way out of path) , I click LNAV, let the plane return to the set route and then click HOLD again...
I would be really grateful to anyone of you for helping me with this
Thanks for considering this question!
tarunmarella

Re: LNAV circling at faster simulation speeds

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:47 pm

the thing is that advancing the simulation speed means that the calculations are not done at that faster speed... this means that at 16x, you're skipping (eg) 15 of the calculation rounds so the craft has moved further than expected/desired... when the next round is calculated, the craft sees that it has flow passed where it needs to be so it turns to get back on track...

the solution is to not run the simulator at high simulation speeds... OR rewrite the autopilot to work properly at high simulation speeds...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Isaak » Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Fri May 22, 2020 2:47 pm:the solution is to not run the simulator at high simulation speeds... OR rewrite the autopilot to work properly at high simulation speeds...

... and as far as I know, that requires changes in the core that are certainly not on the short-term todo-list of people developing the 777. So the current solution is either doing shorter flights, or letting the sim run at lower sim speeds. In my experience, letting it run on 8x works fine most of the time, just avoid short route legs in your route (delete waypoints to make sure there are no <20 mile legs and avoid sharp curves in the enroute part of the route). Since you seem to not mind very much about realism, you can also choose to fly the SID, add no route and fly direct to the entry waypoint of the STAR. You'll have fewest flaws like that :)
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby tarunmarella » Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm

Isaak wrote in Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 pm:
wkitty42 wrote in Fri May 22, 2020 2:47 pm:the solution is to not run the simulator at high simulation speeds... OR rewrite the autopilot to work properly at high simulation speeds...

... and as far as I know, that requires changes in the core that are certainly not on the short-term todo-list of people developing the 777. So the current solution is either doing shorter flights, or letting the sim run at lower sim speeds. In my experience, letting it run on 8x works fine most of the time, just avoid short route legs in your route (delete waypoints to make sure there are no <20 mile legs and avoid sharp curves in the enroute part of the route). Since you seem to not mind very much about realism, you can also choose to fly the SID, add no route and fly direct to the entry waypoint of the STAR. You'll have fewest flaws like that :)

My route manager consists of the departure waypoints, the main leg of the route, and the approach waypoints. But still the LNAV doesn't follow that one straight route till the destination airport (atleast until I can take control of it myself, starting with descent).
But anyways, thanks to Isaak and wkitty42 for clarifying this doubt of mine... Hope you're safe!
tarunmarella

Return to Autopilot