Board index FlightGear Support Flying Autopilot

KJFK ILS can not be used

Using the autopilot is an important thing when flying airliners.

KJFK ILS can not be used

Postby Hyde » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:36 pm

When I approach KJFK-04R using ILS tuning to the correct frequency 109.5MHz, 04R ILS is not activated instead 22R ILS is activated. I can not capture the ILS.
Then passing the runway, 04R ILS is activated after the ship.
Same thing happens when approaching KJFK-22R, 04L or 22L. I can not capture ILS at all.

I don't find any other airport which has same situation so far but there may be.
Please report if anyone finds.

Can't this be fixed?
Hyde

Callsign: N407DS
Version: GIT

Re: KJFK ILS can not be used

Postby Lydiot » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:20 pm

- Can anybody willing take a look at this and fix it?

- Can anybody willing point me in the right direction for me to look at it and fix it either locally or for everybody? (i.e. I don't know how to do it)
Lydiot

Postby V12 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:16 am

Similar problem is at OMDB.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:02 pm

Lydiot wrote in Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:20 pm:- Can anybody willing take a look at this and fix it?

check the x-plane gateway and see if the dat file for KJFK contains the same freqs as the current apt.dat being used in FG... if it is a freq problem, that is... it may be possible to ""fix"" this locally by using the new apt.dat directory structure and providing an override .dat file for KJFK...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Darkriser » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:39 am

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:02 pm:... it may be possible to ""fix"" this locally by using the new apt.dat directory structure and providing an override .dat file for KJFK...

Could you elaborate a little more on this please??
I'm often missing some navaids (vor's, ndb's, ils localisers) and would like to add them.
where to add the missing/fixed navaid details?
(as far as I understand, the common navaids are imported from x-plane so I can't push them to server for other pilots, right?)
Darkriser

Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:18 pm

flightgear uses several .dat files for airport and navigation entities...

FGDATA/Airports/apt.dat.gz
FGDATA/Navaids/awy.dat.gz
FGDATA/Navaids/carrier_nav.dat.gz
FGDATA/Navaids/fix.dat.gz
FGDATA/Navaids/nav.dat.gz
FGDATA/Navaids/poi.dat.gz
FGDATA/Navaids/TACAN_freq.dat.gz

the only one that i'm aware of being able to be overridden is apt.dat... this override is done by adding a custom scenery directory named NavData/apt/ which contains a/some files with updated dat information in the worldeditor format used by x-plane... this is not xml stuff... these files are read and loaded into the navcache database... then the default apt.dat is read and loaded into the database... if there's already an entry for an airport (because it was loaded first from NavData/apt/) then the default one is skipped... in this way, some things may be repaired but maybe not everything scenery wise... remember that apt.dat is also used when building the scenery meshes so these overrides have a limited effect... i've mainly used them to fix missing or bad freqs... i don't think the scenery building code (eg: terragear) knows anything about these overrides or how they work... at that point, it would be best to have a proper dat file for the airport anyway...

so back to my previous post, it may be possible to fix these ILS items with an override dat file IF they are truly incorrect and in their freqs and placements... i would probably pull a KJFK.dat file from the x-plane gateway and compare it with whe KJFK entry in the existing apt.dat and see what's what...

NOTE: this apt.dat override stuff requires at least FGFS 2017.2.0 IIRC... it may be available in 2017.1.? but i'm not positive on that at this time...

NOTE2: instead of trying to override FGs info on these missing items you are looking at, it would be best to submit them to the x-plane gateway so they can be added to the next apt.dat they generate... then FG will pull the new apt.dat at some point and use it with the new world scenery when it is built the next time... at that point, the override files won't/shouldn't be needed any more ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby rominet » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi,

A few precisions:
wkitty42 wrote in Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:18 pm:flightgear uses several .dat files for airport and navigation entities...
the only one that i'm aware of being able to be overridden is apt.dat...

Since FG 2017.2, fix.dat and nav.dat can be amended in much the same way (NavData/fix and NavData/nav subdirs), see this message, which points to that one.
wkitty42 wrote in Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:18 pm:NOTE: this apt.dat override stuff requires at least FGFS 2017.2.0 IIRC... it may be available in 2017.1.? but i'm not positive on that at this time...

For apt.dat, this mechanism appeared in FG 2016.4 (commit 516a5cf016a7d504b09aaac2e0e66c7e9efd42b2).
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:13 am

thanks for the update, rominet... since i build a new FGFS every few days, it is easy to lose track of when certain features come available... thanks again! :)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Autopilot