Board index FlightGear Support Flying Autopilot

Extra500 Autopilot Trouble  Topic is solved

Using the autopilot is an important thing when flying airliners.

Extra500 Autopilot Trouble

Postby lissalissa » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Hello, all.

I have recently been teaching myself to use the Extra500, and am finding it a delightful experience. However, much to my consternation, I can't seem to get the autopilot to do anything other than fail.
I managed to google my way into the autopilot's operating parameters, and am aware that I can't use it below 800ft on ascent, nor at speeds below 90kias, but even adhering to these limits, whenever I attempt to flip the model's autopilot master switch, all I get is "autopilot fail."

Can someone point me in the right direction on this? I'd love to be more proficient with this model, and extensive google-foo has yielded no practicable results.
lissalissa

Version: 2020.3.12

Re: Extra500 Autopilot Trouble  

Postby D-EKEW » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Hi,

We are happy that you like our airplane model!

There was a change in the g-sensor application in jsbsim that was implemented somewhere between flightgear 3.4 and 2016.1. This makes the autopilot fail like you describe. So please make sure you use the correct aircraft model for the flightgear version you are using. Our wiki site has clearly marked download links related to the flightgear versions.

Let me know if you have any more problems,

Eric
D-EKEW

Callsign: D-EKEW, ELLX-TWR
Version: git

Postby Thorsten » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:24 pm

There was a change in the g-sensor application in jsbsim that was implemented somewhere between flightgear 3.4 and 2016.1.

Heh - the accelerometer was wrong before (showed normal gravity in low Earth orbit) and got fixed because I complained ;-)
Thorsten

Postby lissalissa » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:54 pm

That'll do it. Updated the version of the aircraft and now it runs beautifully. Thank you for the help!
lissalissa

Version: 2020.3.12

Return to Autopilot