Board index FlightGear Support Flying Autopilot

Autopilot usage problem (A320neo)

Using the autopilot is an important thing when flying airliners.

Autopilot usage problem (A320neo)

Postby pfrei » Tue May 12, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi,

I'm new on FlightGear 3.4.0 and have a problem using the autopilot on the A320neo (and other Airbus models as e.g. A330-xxx): I'm not able to change either the speed nor the altitude nor the heading. Whenever I'm clicking on one of these knobs by using the mouse, it only turns from managed to selected mode and vice versa. But I cannot turn any of the knobs e.g. to another heading or another speed. Even when using F11 to adjust the AP parameters manually, they are not reflected on the AP panel.

Can I use the autopilot only when having set a flightplan in the MCDU? I.e. when simply making a short test flight (e.g. DEP from KSFO and ILS APP to KSFO), can the AP not be used manually?

Would be great if you can give me some hints!

Thank you very much and best regards,
Patrick
pfrei

Callsign: N9999M

Re: Autopilot usage problem (A320neo)

Postby CaptB » Tue May 12, 2015 8:28 pm

MCDU route should not make a difference for manual AP operations, if it does, then it's not simulated correctly.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB
Version: next

Postby islandmonkey » Tue May 12, 2015 8:32 pm

Hmm, check your logs, does anything show up regarding Nasal parse errors in fmgc_loop.nas? If that is the case, then there is little you can other than click Reset FMGC loop, that is of course if you are on the version of the 320neo that does that. Anyway, you may want to consider contacting artix in this thread, (he has taken over the development of the A320neo from the largely inactive omega95) and telling him that the system used for the autopilot is not very foolproof when it comes to errors. That is of course only the case if you do have this particular error. Nevertheless, please do use the updated version of the A320neo, it has much better features than omega95's rendition, however it still doesn't have very foolproof code :(

Thanks,
Aidan
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY

Postby pfrei » Tue May 12, 2015 8:50 pm

No, in fmgc_loop.nas nothing regarding Nasal parse errors can be found. Resetting FMGC loop doesn't help either. I'll try the updated version of the A320neo as you have suggested. Maybe, that helps. Otherwise, I'll contact Artix. Thank you!!
pfrei

Postby pfrei » Wed May 13, 2015 6:50 am

I've downloaded the updated version of the A320neo and now, the AP works perfect!!

Do you know if there is also an updated version for the A330-300, i.e. instead of the version available on http://theomegahangar.flymerlion.org/aircraft.html? Because I've the same AP issue with these aircrafts.
pfrei

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed May 13, 2015 7:47 am

legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby cakarunkumar » Fri May 29, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi

I tried a managed flight without fully completing the pre flight planning by just entering the departure and arrival airport code in Route manager and the V speeds in the MCDU. Once I am airborne and switch on the auto throttle and autopilot the auto throttle reads the speed it required to hold from my input in the cockpit knob. Same with the case of heading. and the primary Flight display shows as heaading hold. The problem however is that the aircraft is not obeying my altitude settings which I did through these cockpit knobs. It continues to climb until it reaches 37,600 feet and stays there. Even if I select a different altitude say FL 150 and set the vertical speed to -800 nothing changes and the aircraft continues to hold at FL 370.

Note: I am using the latest A320neo with Canvas ND from atrix git repo

Thanks
Arun
cakarunkumar

Callsign: Arun
IRC name: Arun
Version: 3.4

Postby daweed » Sun May 31, 2015 9:11 am

Hello,

Check here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23736&start=44, Artix update the AP and explain how does it work - push / pull on the knob.

Best regards
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun May 31, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks so much- I couldnt figure his thing out!
legoboyvdlp

Postby cakarunkumar » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:25 pm

Some basic doubts about the atrix's A320 neo:-

1) I have set the FMC to cruise at FL350 on the second waypoint.(I have also programmed to cruise at this FL in the INIT page) My doubt is whether this altitude will take effect after reaching the second waypoint or will my flight be cruising at FL 350 when I reach second waypoint? (I remember 777 autopilot does the later way)

2) Even though I activated the FMC and the NAV is displayed in the primary flight display the aircraft seems to automatically level off at FL 100 since this was the input in the control below the windshield(sorry I dont know the name of this panel - Someone please post that too :) )

3) Currently what I do to reach the cruise altitude is to turn the altitude control below the windshield to my cruise altitude FL350 and pull the knob by shift+Alt+Click and the flight climbs at a little steep nose up position and level off and the primary flight display confirms this by displaying speed CRZ.. However assume that I ran into a storm and have to climb even higher say FL370 (or) FL380 how can I do that? i tried to key in this altitude at altitude control below the windshield and pull the knob, however the primary Flight control system highlights ALT CST and nothing happens and the aircraft does not climb

4) Will the auto pilot now descend as per the FMC inputs or i should change the values in altitude control below the windshield?

Thank you
Arun
cakarunkumar

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:04 pm

To climb higher I think you set a VS and pull the VS knob.
legoboyvdlp

Postby cakarunkumar » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:32 am

@Legoboyvdlp: Even that does not seems to work. But I want to know why the performance mode(I think I worded it correct - mode activated by pulling the altitude knob) is not working.

However since the way you have suggested is also not working I think the autopilot is designed not to climb beyond the altitude set at INIT page. However I am still confused as to how real life pilots encounter such a situation
cakarunkumar

Postby cakarunkumar » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:12 am

Few more things I noticed today:

1) I have programming the FMC to follow a specified waypoint after crossing SID, and after this if I choose to cancel SID and fly direct to my first waypoint by entering that waypoint name in the FMC the autopilot gets into a HDG hold position and flies in the same direction.(Is this a bug or I am doing something wrong?)

2) Next is on executing hold position one of the requirement of HOLD in the FMC is the time/distance. If I have to hold at a fix for 5 min and for 5 nm i think I have to enter 5/5 but FMC is not accepting this input and the autopilot flies into its own course(this course is not NAV course). Please also clarify this point.
cakarunkumar

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Try leaving it for about 5 minutes circling if it does a circle, for it does a (supposedly) realistic "entry into the hold.
legoboyvdlp

Postby cakarunkumar » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:02 am

Thank you for your support but let me explain you the HOLD issue more detailed which will facilitate more better solution to me.

When I configure HOLD in the FMC as told in my previous post it is not permitting me to enter the time and distance to hold in it, after inputting it in the type area and after clicking the selection key below time/distance nothing changes and this value is not getting updated there.

However as you may see from the below pic the hold is indeed getting activated in the FMC even without me setting the important time / distance detail

However you may seen from the NAV display shown below that it does not show a proper holding pattern. I strongly beleive that this is a result of me not setting the time / distance detail in the FMC which it is not allowing me to capture there!!!

When properly configured the holding pattern should look like this in the FMC is what I guess (This pic is taken from the A330-200 wiki page http://wiki.flightgear.org/Airbus_A330-200_Series)

Hope this clarifies my doubt

Thank You and Best Regards
Arun
cakarunkumar

Next

Return to Autopilot