Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

P-40 Warhawk Coming Soon

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: P-40 Warhawk Coming Soon

Postby MOJO » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:53 pm

Thanks, I will need it, I have never done an FDM before or animations but I have actual pilot books and flight manuals for the P-40 so it should just fly like the real thing
F-18 Hornets by Mandate - F-14 Tomcats by Choice
MOJO

Callsign: MOJO
Version: 2

Postby hvengel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:11 pm

MOJO wrote:Thanks, I will need it, I have never done an FDM before or animations but I have actual pilot books and flight manuals for the P-40 so it should just fly like the real thing

Having the manuals is a good start. These are particularly valuable for work on the cockpit details and the various controls in the cockpit. If you can find a maintenance manual you should make sure to have this on hand also since these will usually have things like electrical and hydraulic schematics.

All of these WWII US aircraft (P-38, P-39, P-40, P-47, P-51, F4U, F6F, B-17, B-24...) were wind tunnel and flight (with extensive instrumentation) tested by NACA in the early 1940s. All of these tests resulted in reports being written that have lots of data concerning things like drag, lift and other aerodynamic characteristic. The level of detail and specificity in these reports can be almost overwhelming. For example there are a number of reports (3 - I think) on just the P-47 propeller. Almost all of these reports can be found on the NASA Technical Reports server with a little effort. I think you will find these reports invaluable for your effort to create a good FDM and I encourage you to get these in hand before you start the work of creating your FDM.
hvengel
Retired

Postby MOJO » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:27 pm

i think i have all those manuals to be honest. I even have one that tells you how it should be put together down to what tool you should be using. Hope fully i will be able to get my head round xml. Th
anks for the advice though
MOJO

Postby hvengel » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:20 pm

MOJO wrote:i think i have all those manuals to be honest. I even have one that tells you how it should be put together down to what tool you should be using. Hope fully i will be able to get my head round xml. Thanks for the advice though

You appear to have the maintenance and erection manual. If it is like the one for the P-51 it is like 400 to 500 pages and it should have things like wiring and hydraulic schematics which are very useful when you try to get systems working correctly. Also don't be afraid to "borrow" things from other well researched FDM's for aircraft with similar systems. For example the engine controls and perhaps some of the weapon systems controls on JSBSim P-51D might give you a fast start on these systems since US fighter aircraft of the era where fairly standardized in these areas.
hvengel
Retired

Postby Kabuki » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:49 pm

This is great! I looked for the plane a while back, and was surprised it wasn't available. There's another topic on the forum asking for wishes, and that was going to be my first one. Think Pearl Harbor.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby WheelDweller » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:32 am

About the liveries:

- I have a book on all the Flying Tigers; I plan to do them "all".
- I have LOTS of photos
- I have a (replica) "owners manual" I found on eBay. It tells of details needed to properly handle the plane.

I'm not a graphics guy, but I'm willing to learn. Let me know if I can help in some way!
WheelDweller

Postby MOJO » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:03 am

Thanks for the offer, I am currently developing the cockpit, I have a few pictures in black and white from a long time ago but could do with some better ones if you have them?
MOJO

Postby MOJO » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Once again I have took the model back to the drawing board as I put it into FG to see how she looked and well, it wasn't good :cry:

I worked out why it didn't look good and I am starting to fix the model, problems I had were that the wings were not flush to the body, body shape was not smooth, corrected this with a sub division, front nose was not defined and has been fixed.

Hopefully now the craft will look so much better.

I am not as far behind as originally thought :D

Will post some updated shots when I get home tonight, hopefully with a texture :wink:
MOJO

Postby MOJO » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Finally updated the model this morning, much better shape and less poly

MOJO

Postby Gijs » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:25 pm

Looking good! Much much better use of polys this time ;)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby MOJO » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks for the comment Gijs, this is a learning curve for me just to see if I can develop more complex shapes/details without using too many polys etc.
MOJO

Postby HHS » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi Mojo, that's now looking really good! :D
Still details, but number of vertices well-balanced- much, much better than my own aircrafts I made!
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby hvengel » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:03 pm

Looking good. But I think the edges of the flaps and ailerons be parallel to the chord rather than perpendicular to the trailing edge of the wing. Also there appears to be a discontinuity in the shapes in the area just below the windshield.
hvengel
Retired

Postby MOJO » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks for the c
omments guys. @ hvangel what do you mean about the flaps and ailerons? Is that they are slightly angled? Thanks for your feed back though. Also what the windscreen i did a sub division thats why there is a few extra lines it will be sorted out soon
MOJO

Postby hvengel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:31 pm

MOJO wrote:Thanks for the c
omments guys. @ hvangel what do you mean about the flaps and ailerons? Is that they are slightly angled? Thanks for your feed back though. Also what the windscreen i did a sub division thats why there is a few extra lines it will be sorted out soon

I would expect the edges of the flaps and ailerons to be in line with the air flow. But I did a quick search and it appears this is not the case. I found a very interesting site that actually has what appears to be copies some of the design drawings for the P-40 (various models) here

http://www.p40warhawk.com/Models/Techni ... hnical.htm

Has lots of detail so if you have not seen this before you might want to have a look. Looking the the drawings there it appears that the inside edge of the upper flaps are parallel to the center line but the outside edge of the flap (both lower and upper) and the edges of the ailerons are perpendicular to the wing trailing edge.

Also from those drawings the rear of the wing/fuselage fairing needs some work. It also appears that the flaps are split with the lower section running under the fuselage well past the intersection of the fuselage and wing.
hvengel
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft