Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

OV10 Bronco

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

OV10 Bronco

Postby Farmboy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:25 am

I banged my head a number of times and persuaded a few others to make some upgrades to the OV10 Bronco, originally by Dave Culp and a few others. We didn't change the FDM since Dave did a great job there, but I did swap out the underpowered T76's for a more suitable PT-6 powerplant. Along with that there is completely new landing gear and tires, and a few subtle cleaning tidbits.
Due to the original design being split into 3 separate models not sharing anything except engines and a few instruments, it's about as far as we can go without a full ground up new build, but hopefully it will keep the model alive for those that enjoy it. It's quite a fun aircraft that I have enjoyed for a long time.

The black pony edition isn't totally finished, it needs the GPS data and hotspots relocated to the faceplate, but I may not get to that.
The USAFE, CDF and NASA are better than original.
Neither have spray booms modeled, but the CDF and the Black Pony editions have full crop-dusting spray patterns using "s" and "S". Beware they will drop the frame rate unless you back off the volume.

Peter

EDIT: link updated to new file, I found a path error for prop blur on the NASA model and decreased wind noise a touch.
Last edited by Farmboy on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horsepower is just an illusion. Torque is the true answer.
Farmboy

Location: NorthEast New York State, and the rest of New England....

Re: OV10 Bronco

Postby grtux » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi, Farmboy

Great work, may be you could ask to Dave Culp to include it in his own Hangar ( Dave Culp Hangar ).

Gérard
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Postby HHS » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:13 pm

And GIT of course.... :D
Up, up and away
HHS
Retired

Version: GIT

Postby simbabeat » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:05 pm

Wow this is nice. It was in need of an upgrade.
simbabeat

Postby Farmboy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:13 pm

Thanks Gerard and HHS,

The credit once again really goes to Buckaroo for his wonderful gear work.

Dave doesn't host or maintain the Bronco - it's part of FG's stable for quite some time and Dave's models are all CCA licensed now. (But out of respect for his work I did check with him prior and he was okay with my attempting to improve it)

On a side note, a number of folks are not aware of how to start it - which I've tried to make simple by including a view of the start panel. On each model the start panel view is either one step back or 3 steps on the NASA version - That's Shift "v". (The Nasa version shows GPS, AP, and then start panel)

Start panel looks like this:

The Start switches are labled, and they click toggle forward to start, and toggle backwards to shut down. Simply click each forward once and the engines will spool up.
Once again, have fun!

Peter
Farmboy

Postby Kaptain Krunch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:18 am

hoping someone could help...
been playing with FG off and on for over a year now, and unlocking mysteries left and right, but sometimes you just have to give up and ask for some help.
Just downloaded the Bronco last night, and was looking forward to it, since it is a favourite of mine since I was but a lad.
BUT-
Can't change the livery. the download contains all of them, but all three choices from the GUI launcher (I run from a MAC) load up as the firefighting variant, and in FGFS there is no menu option to play with the appearance of the thing. This means I am missing out on 2/3 of the fun!
I also cannot get it started anyhow. I found the cockpit switches, but clicking them does nothing, and they certainly don't light up as hotspots when [control]-C is activated. I am forced to fly with the keyboard only right now; is this part of the problem?
Thanks.
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of time, and usually that's good enough."
Kaptain Krunch

Callsign: Krunch
Version: v2

Postby Pat70 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:27 am

Hi Krunch
Well i am on Mac too, using 2.0 FG version. When i download the OV10 from FG official website its not working on my mac either. Cant start it and it crashed and only one livery.
But if you download the package from the link in the first post of this topic (from Farmboy) then its working fine, you can start it, fly it and its a really nice aircraft to use.
Hard to find all buttons to make all the stuff to work but may be FarmBoy will release a little help about all the weapon/submodels menu.
Good luck
Pat
Pat (Pat 70 on the forum...) sometimes as Pat2 on the Laptop
Member of the FG Rotor Flying Club http://fgrc.tk/
Pat70

Callsign: Pat
Version: 2

Postby erik » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:05 pm

I've pushed this update to git, thanks for the work!

Erik
erik

Postby Farmboy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Boy is this thread old.

The link in the original post is slightly old, although the file is still there.

That said, and to answer questions from above:
The model was built by Dave Culp a long time ago (in FG time), and was built as three specific models inside of the OV10 folder. I am guessing this was to incorporate each of the particular items into the model, as it's not a livery change, it's a complete model change. There are 4 models in the launcher now - the original USAFE, CDF, NASA, and my deviation the Black Pony.

Dave Culp flew this in real life, so the FDM is all original, expect for power. The engines were virtually updated to emulate a PT6, and the performance is noticeable. Buckaroo was ever so kind to clean up the landing gear (from square tubes to round), and smooth up a few other areas.
There are a few things left to do in the Black Pony. I moved the GPS panel and the AP unit, but never got the data display or hotspots moved to the new location. If anyone would like to look at that feel free.
Farmboy

Postby Kaptain Krunch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:19 am

Thank you SO MUCH for your help, everyone.
Downloaded the original model, and see all of the options, and can get them to load.
BUT-
Still can't get the damn engines started!
Still no hotspots on the engine start panel.
hitting the 's' key (So handy on other aircraft models) does not start the engines, simply triggers the smokescreen...
Any more clues?
Thanks in advance!
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of time, and usually that's good enough."
Kaptain Krunch

Postby Farmboy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:42 am

KK,

- Are you using my version, linked above?
- Which model of the Bronco are you starting with?
- Do you see the start panel as shown in a post above?

The left two switches in the top row are left and right engine toggles. Click on each with your mouse to toggle them forward once to start. If you toggle them rearward the engine will shut off. (you can see the labels - Start/Run/Abort positions)

If you are using the Black Pony or CDF, then two steps backward in view (shift V) will display the start panel nicely, to toggle them.

The "s" key is not tied to engines. On certain Bronco models it controls smoke.

Peter
Last edited by Farmboy on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farmboy

Postby Kaptain Krunch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:10 am

Dynamite!
Thanks! Just got her running and into the air...finally!
What a swell plane to fly... glad I took the time to ask.
One final question...
Are there machine guns?
Just wondered.
Cheers!
Kaptain Krunch

Postby Farmboy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:59 am

If you arm them using the switch panels, they will fire.

pb
Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Updated Bronco, slightly.

GPS works in the black pony.
All models have canopy doors open and shut via "c". (I did not build a new frame, so it's essentially the glass that opens and shuts)
All models have a pitot tube instead of that knife looking segment.
Better panel hotspot mapping on the black pony.
Was not able to consolidate much yet. That will happen at some point.

Edit:
Noticed the flares were still in place of the rockets. Changed them back to rockets.
Last edited by Farmboy on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farmboy

Postby Farmboy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:44 pm

It seems to be an issue with my work right now, but in the previously linked files I had exceeded the text space in the help menu, which broke the Black Pony set file.

Here are good versions:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/25p4cndui ... 110303.zip
or
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qspfdnbou ... 110303.tgz
Farmboy

Next

Return to Aircraft