Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

C-5 3D model in Work

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: C-5 3D model in Work

Postby Johan G » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:12 pm

zorka wrote in Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:59 am:Any tips/tricks I should know?

At least a basic knowledge of Git can be very helpful. Both for off site backup, finding bugs and collaboration.

Regarding the modeling there are some things to consider. Looking around in the articles in the Modeling category on the FlightGear wiki should be at least somewhat helpful. I would wish there was more structure and less overlapping, but that is another topic.

wlbragg wrote in Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:10 am:https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/C-5

It probably is in order and after having asked the original author what license he had intended to use, but it bothers me a little bit that the second commit is adding a GPLv2 license, while the first commit seem to be from a Zip file.[1] None of them are by the original author.

You might not be aware of this, but we have a bit of history with FGMEMBERS that mostly is not positive.[2]
____
[1] See the commit history.
[2] See FGMEMBERS Statement, 17 January 2018, FlightGear.org.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby wlbragg » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:35 pm

On my part, I was strictly posting the location of a known "working" model. I make no statements about its suitability for any purpose, only that it exists.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby bugman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:14 pm

I suggest sending a PM or email to jonbourg to clarify the licensing and if he even has a newer version! There were a lot of aircraft in the FGMEMBERS aircraft collection whereby the GPLv2 licence was added by the FGMEMBERS themselves - not the original authors - based on the argument that it is safe to assume that the original intent of the author was to licensed under the GPLv2+ to be able to include it in the official aircraft repositories. This assumption is not acceptable for the FlightGear project, as is made clear in the FGMEMBERS statement. I recommend you clarify the licensing issues with the original authors before you go too far down the road.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Previous

Return to Aircraft