Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

P-51D JSBSim model developement (Now in FG GIT)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: P-51D JSBSim model developement (download in first post)

Postby jonsberndt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:33 pm

hvengel wrote:I am now working in a clone of fgdata from GIT. I have asked that this clone be merged into fgdata. This now has some enhancement that include things like:

1. All fuel tanks including drop tanks are now functional. But this has had minimal testing.

This version require FG GIT to be fully functional since FG GIT has an updated version of JSBSim and the model now uses some of the new JSBSim features.

To get a copy of the fgdata clone if you are not using GIT for your fgdata do this in a directory where you have space and write access:

git clone git://gitorious.org/~hvengel/fg/hvengel ... jsbsim.git master

Then just copy the AIrcraft/p51d directory from the fgdata clone to your $FGDATA/Aircraft/p51d directory.

On the other hand if you are using a GIT clone of fgdata for your local copy then just do:

git fetch git://gitorious.org/~hvengel/fg/hvengel ... jsbsim.git master:hvengel/p51d-jsbsim
git merge hvengel/p51d-jsbsim

and you will get the changes.

I have requested that this clone be merged into the FG main line. Hopefully this will happen sometime soon.

Is there a way I can just get the FDM and system files (and engine files, etc., if changed)?

Jon
Jon S. Berndt
Development Coordinator
JSBSim Project
http://www.JSBSim.org
http://www.facebook.com/jsbsim
jonsberndt

Postby AndersG » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:57 pm

jonsberndt wrote:Is there a way I can just get the FDM and system files (and engine files, etc., if changed)?

Yes, e.g. you can browse the contents of Hal's git repository at gitorious and download individual files:
http://gitorious.org/~hvengel/fg/hvengels-fgdata-p51d-jsbsim/trees/master/Aircraft/p51d

Cheers,

Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby hvengel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:40 pm

AndersG wrote:
jonsberndt wrote:Is there a way I can just get the FDM and system files (and engine files, etc., if changed)?

Yes, e.g. you can browse the contents of Hal's git repository at gitorious and download individual files:
http://gitorious.org/~hvengel/fg/hvengels-fgdata-p51d-jsbsim/trees/master/Aircraft/p51d

Cheers,

Anders

Or even simpler is just do a GIT clone and then do regualar git pulll to get any changes. One the the problems I have with gitorious is that, unlike most CVS and SVN browsers, the code browser does not list the date of the last update for each file. But you can also have a look at the change log to see if any updates have been made and what files were changed.
hvengel
Retired

Postby AndersG » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:42 pm

hvengel wrote:Or even simpler is just do a GIT clone and then do regualar git pulll to get any changes. One the the problems I have with gitorious is that, unlike most CVS and SVN browsers, the code browser does not list the date of the last update for each file. But you can also have a look at the change log to see if any updates have been made and what files were changed.

I assumed Jon didn't have a clone of fgdata already, in which case it could be slightly over the top to download 2.5GB to get your P-51d even if it is really good. :)

/Anders
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby hvengel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:10 pm

jonsberndt wrote:Are there any screen shots of this aircraft anywhere? :-)

JB

Not really. So feel free to create some of your own. I did a few when I created the splash image that now appears when FG is starting.

The exterior has not changed too much other than the new landing gear (which looks more realistic), addition of the doors to the dog house and the improved fuselage texture (which has more detail) and of course the new external stores (rockets, bombs, drop tanks and pylons). In a screen shot of the exterior I don't think the new gear, dog house details or the improved texture would be too visible. The biggest changes that could show up in a screen shot are to the interior of the cockpit since it has many new objects (switches, control levers, rudder pedals, control panels, panel lights, indicator lights and so on). The cockpit still needs lots of work since it is missing many things such as:

1. radios (VHF, DF, IFF, rear warning radar...)
2. fuel gages
3. hydraulic pressure gage
4. gear door hydraulic pressure release value
5. various placards
6. oxygen system components
7. flare gun port
8. arm rest
9. canopy crank handle
10. engine air intake controls
11. gear lever
12. manual bomb/tank release levers.
13. other components too numerous to mention.

Also currently the seat in the cockpit is apparently a clone of a wooden seat from some other aircraft. This needs to be replaced by an aluminum chair of the correct configuration.

Creating, placing, integrating and animating the 3D models for these (other than placards) is time consuming. In addition I am not really a 3D modeler although I can fumble my way through creating basic models. This is one of the reasons that I am now using gitorious as it will allow others who may be interested in adding new detail to this model to clone my repository, make their changes in that clone and then request that those changes be merged into my master copy. So those with modeling expertise who feel like adding any of the above (or things not listed above) should feel free to do so as I will be more than happy to merge their changes back into the my repository and hopefully these changes will end up being merged into the the main fgdata repository.

As a side note I now have created textures for various placards (for example I have one for the retract lever) and anyone who is interested in adding placards should feel free to use these textures for that work since these are already in the Models directory. There are textures for perhaps 11 or 12 placards that have yet to be used and most of these are very simple placards that are rectangular and flat (very easy to model). Placing placards is a fairly simple 3D modeling task and is a good one for those just starting out. It is also a good way to quickly add more detail to the cockpit of an aircraft. Since the textures exist the hardest part of adding a new placard is figuring out where it belongs.

Hal
hvengel
Retired

Postby hvengel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:16 pm

AndersG wrote:
hvengel wrote:Or even simpler is just do a GIT clone and then do regular git pull to get any changes. One the the problems I have with gitorious is that, unlike most CVS and SVN browsers, the code browser does not list the date of the last update for each file. But you can also have a look at the change log to see if any updates have been made and what files were changed.

I assumed Jon didn't have a clone of fgdata already, in which case it could be slightly over the top to download 2.5GB to get your P-51d even if it is really good. :)

/Anders

The size of the fgdata repository is an issue since it is huge and it does take a lot of bandwidth and time to clone. But this is a one time thing and it is easy to do. It would be really nice if we could do smaller clones of only the part we are interested in somehow but unlike CVS and SVN I don't think GIT allows this. The flip side is once the repository has been cloned keeping it up to date is easy and fast.

I suppose I could create tarballs of only the p51d directory and post these where they could be downloaded. But a current tarball would require the GIT/next version of FG which has a recent copy of JSBSim CVS and I am now using some of the new features. So anyone testing it will likely need an fgdata clone in anycase.

The changes from the last tarball I posted on 4-25 are fairly small. Currently everything listed in the GIT change log for my clone of fgdata is a delta from the last tarball other than the initial update which is exactly like the last tarball. Some of these do involve changes in some Systems/ files and the main JSBSim FDM file. Specifically Systems/tailwheel.xml, Systems/propulsion.xml and p51d-jsbsim.xml. There have been no changes to anything related to the engine although I am still researching the propeller coefficient data (the Smithsonian came up empty handed). I also removed some minor regressions from the YASim model. I will probably continue making perhaps 1 or 2 small changes per week for awhile and I expect that most of these will affect the code in the JSBSIm related xml files since I will be adding features (IE. making existing switches work) that will be linked to the FDM or enhancing existing features (I plan to work on the engine startup procedure to make it conform to the pilots manual - this will likely require both changes to the JSBSim FDM files and some nasal code).

Hal
hvengel
Retired

Postby AndersG » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:03 am

hvengel wrote:I suppose I could create tarballs of only the p51d directory and post these where they could be downloaded. But a current tarball would require the GIT/next version of FG which has a recent copy of JSBSim CVS and I am now using some of the new features. So anyone testing it will likely need an fgdata clone in anycase.

Yes, I understand that, but since Jon asked specifically about the FDM configuration files I guessed that he just might want to have a look at them, try them in JSBSim and perhaps update those files in the JSBSim CVS repository.

Cheers,

Anders
AndersG

Postby hvengel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:07 pm

The JSBSim P-51D has been merged into fgdata GIT and it will be part of the next FG release. This includes a few new additions in addition to what is listed for prior tarballs:

* Animated mic button

* Slightly improved propeller config.

* More realistic engine start procedure. This includes a functioning primer and battery-disconnect switch along with new hot spots and animations. This allows pilots to use the startup procedure from the pilots manual (USAF 1952 manual recommended).

* Improved more detailed aircraft help.

* Improved drop tank support code.
hvengel
Retired

Re: P-51D JSBSim model developement (Now in FG GIT)

Postby Boeing » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi where can I get this plane? When I tried to get it at gitorious it loaded for over 30m. then I gave up
Won't be doing much anymore....
Boeing

Callsign: Boeing, MIA0029
Version: 24

Postby hvengel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:14 pm

Boeing wrote in Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:19 pm:Hi where can I get this plane? When I tried to get it at gitorious it loaded for over 30m. then I gave up

This is one of the larger models in fgdata at about 80 meg so if you have a slow connection it can take a while to download. You also need to run FG GIT for everything in the model to work correctly and you also need some new stuff that is in fgdata/Aircraft/Instruments-3d for the cockpit to be complete and to have a working VHF radio. Yes it now has a working WWII vintage VHF radio.

I think there might be snapshots of fdata on the hudson server and for sure there are FG binary snapshots on the hudson server at least for some OSes. There are threads on this forum with links to the hudson server. This might make it easier than using GIT.

Also the new release of FG is scheduled for Aug. 17. If you don't want to bother with GIT or dev snapshots then in a little over a month you will be able to download it directly from the FG web site.
hvengel
Retired

Postby Boeing » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Thanks just a little jealous since the P-51D I have only has guns, no bombs or rockets :|
Won't be doing much anymore....
Boeing

Callsign: Boeing, MIA0029
Version: 24

Previous

Return to Aircraft