Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

helicopter modeling

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

helicopter modeling

Postby Veronica » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:47 am

Hello everybody!
I want to simulate a new prototype of helicopter.
I would like to know if it is possible to do this by using JSBSim or if it is necessary to use YASim.

There is anyone that can supply to me documentation related to YASim? I should write a report for university about it and I can't find anything good.

Does anyone know if there are other open source and real time flight dynamics models to simulate aircfrafts and helicopters?

Please, help me!! :D Thanks to everybody!
Veronica

Postby ajm » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:37 am

You can't use JSBSim for modelling rotary wing aircraft, but then again it probably wouldn't really be the most suitable FDM for your situation anyway.

There is fairly extensive documentation for YASim available in the Docs directory of your FlightGear install.

Cheers,

AJ
ajm

YASim docs

Postby Veronica » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:55 am

Maybe I didn't look in the right place but I didn't find any docs about YASim in my FlightGear install.. If you could be more precise I will appreciate it very much..
Thank you for you help!
Veronica

Postby ajm » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:38 am

You'll find the Docs directory under the data dir (where the Aircraft, Scenery etc are.)

In there, you'll find such titles as:

README.yasim
README.YASim.rotor.ods
README.yasim.rotor.png
README.YASim.rotor.xls

If, for some unimaginable reason, the Docs dir isn't supplied in the default base package, you could get these from CVS. I'm pretty sure you already have them though...

HTH :-)

AJ
ajm

Postby HHS » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:13 pm

Hi Veronica,

I'm not sure if JSBSim would be really the right thing - the YASim-fdm for helicopter is a "little" bit different to the YASim for Aircrafts and very well.

(try the Bo105)

It uses the blade-element-theory- so you need the airfoils with lift and drag-curves, cg and the tensors.

The rest you will find in the docs, AJ mentioned!

If there are still questions- ask in the devel-mailinglists! :-)

Regards
HHS
HHS
Retired

Version: GIT

Return to Aircraft