Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

GNU/GPL MiG-21 development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: GNU/GPL MiG-21 development

Postby pjedvaj » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:52 pm

You made me install FG again. Great work as usual Skydive. :wink:
Retired
pjedvaj

Postby Skydive » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:01 am

pjedvaj wrote in Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:52 pm:You made me install FG again. Great work as usual Skydive. :wink:

welcome back. hope you liked it
Skydive

Version: 2020.3.11

Postby Skydive » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 pm

I wonder If anybody could help me make radar page work on the mfd?
I am getting lost in the number of files required for that and making the ends meet. Any help would be appreciated.
Skydive

Version: 2020.3.11

Postby PINTO » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:40 pm

Another update. I may be forgetting some stuff, sorry.

- Lots of little bug fixes.
- A new Draken International livery thanks to Gary over at FGUK!
- RWR limits increased from +/-20 degrees to +/-45.
- Almost all weapons have appropriate rails.
- Hydraulic and electric systems have been rewritten to factor in loads applied.
- Radar warmup now required, or the radar will burn out.
- Leaving the gear handle in the up position drains the pneumatic system, resulting in a loss of braking power and inability to deploy the chute.
- Flaps have been tied into the hydraulic system, and will automatically retract based on wind pressure.
- Blown flaps/BLC has been integrated into the FDM. Keep the N1 up (at least 80%) during landing or the blown flaps will not work, and you will lose a lot of lift. Switch is on the left side of the cockpit.
- Ground control intercept is possible with the OPRF GCI asset. It is possible to use the R-27's fire-without-lock feature to combat other aircraft with the radar off using this.
- There is a csv file in the repo for looking up pipper angles to assist in dropping bombs semi-accurately. This data is formatted roughly the same as the real manual that MiG-21 pilots would use, however the data has been pulled out of FG's submodel dropping code.

- Its possible to load radio freqs from a text file. Format for the text file is:
Code: Select all
# this is a comment
nav

adf

ils

comm

The parser for these is incredibly simplistic. Any deviation from this format will probably break things.

I'm rewriting how I handle interactions with other aircraft, which will include a rewrite of the radar logic (which will include manual antenna pointing and gimbal limits, weather effects, possibly jamming, targets hiding in ground clutter, sidelobe interference, and other stuff probably in addition to whats already there), better IFF code, better RWR code, and how submodel impact detection works.

In addition, I'm trying to add one new feature a day, however minor that feature is.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Octal450 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:42 pm

Good work pinto! looking forward to trying.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby N-SCOT » Thu May 30, 2019 12:32 pm

Seeing that the MiG-21 is an active project, could I ask for a low poly static model to be generated for scenery additions?
Preferably something with a modest texture map (but I'll take what I can get!)

I'd like one for my ongoing KLAL build, as well as having something generally available for those folks developing airfields where this might be used.

thanks much!

G
Gary Brown, aka N-SCOT
Favorite Aircraft: Military
Favorite FG activity: Livery generation
N-SCOT

Location: Gainesville, Florida. Home of the "Fighting' Gators"!
Callsign: N-SCOT
Version: 2020.1.2

Postby enrogue » Thu May 30, 2019 1:30 pm

There is a lower poly AI model of the MiG-21 in fgdata with a single file texture map - I believe Richard did it - could this be used?
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby PINTO » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:55 am

Because it’s been a while, here’s an update.

-Headshake is now implemented for various conditions such as compressor stall and takeoff.

-Hydraulics has been rewritten for the final time, and stuff is getting plugged in. Very happy with it.

-Gunsight canvas has been rewritten to be mil-accurate.

-RWR is now MUCH more complex and accurate, with each individual sensor being managed, and beep sound added with volume knob.

-Speedbrake aero effects more complex.

-Many bugfixes and usability tweaks, including ILS autopilot, Kh-66, and more.

Currently working on finishing the hydraulic simulation and fixing the broken parts of the attitude indicator.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Postby PINTO » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:40 pm

vanosten has taken it upon himself to update the wiki page! It is now much more complete and reflects the current state of the MiG-21bis. Link is at http://wiki.flightgear.org/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-21

Due to the increasing complexity, I've begun making some tutorial videos. You can find them at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6h2ElIuID9wdPo3XBk2h1evG0xYTabHy

There is also a development chat server on Discord at http://discord.gg/QtSakhW

As a development update, hydraulics are nearing feature completeness.

EDIT: to add that if N1 is greater than N2 by a certain amount, it will now cause an engine surge. Be mindful of your throttle control.

PINTO

Postby Octal450 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:50 am

Great work Pinto!

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby PINTO » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:43 am

Another update:

Hydraulics is done, except for the antisurge doors:
- Jet nozzle position relies on hydraulics.
- Flaps, gear, aileron, stabilizer boosters, and speedbrakes as well.

Navigation has been nearly completed:
- Gyros are now fully simulated.
- The flight director now works (ish).
- The radios now must be powered on/off.

Taxiing is now more realistic:
- Brakes now respect the pneumatic situation always.
- The rudder no longer turns the front nosewheel, which is now castering. To turn, apply rudder and brakes at the same time. (thanks to Rudolf for some code and inspiration here!)
- You can enable/disable the front nosewheel brake with the lever to the left of the gunsight.

Payloads:
- To handle more stores than the regular equipment dialog can sanely display, a new store selection dialog has been created.

- P-100 practice bombs have been added.

A gif of Rudolf during some bombing practice:

PINTO

Postby PINTO » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:15 pm

Work has slowed moderately of late, just due to time issues, real life workloads, and working on a couple other projects (both FG and non-FG stuff). My personal deadline of starting on the Croatian variant obviously didn't pan out.

That said, there've been a couple updates.
- IFF has been implemented, and is compatible with the F-16
- Callsigns will no longer show on the radar with the implementation of IFF
- The trim power switch is now required for trim
- All warning lights, including the master caution, are now implemented
- the BETAB-500ShP runway denial bomb has been implemented.

Image]

The next projects are going to be, in no specific order
- continuing to implement cockpit switches
- minor 3D updates
- the codebase desperately needs a good cleaning
- possibly a bombing assistant add on to help with training.

My new deadline for beginning the Croatian variant is July 1.

PINTO

Postby bugman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:59 am

@Pinto:. Are you maintaining the FGAddon version? The MiG-21bs wiki page is confusing. If there are two separate aircraft, there should be two separate wiki articles. Otherwise the link to the git repository should be in the aircraft Infobox, and all text about git development and different versions could be removed.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby PINTO » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:13 pm

No, I brought it up to the mailing list but was met with some pushback, so I decided not to pursue it until I've hit version 1.0. If someone else wants to merge mine in with FGAddon, they can feel free.
Feel free to do whatever you need to with the wiki. My version is far more advanced than what is available in FGAddon, however.

PINTO

Postby bugman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:54 pm

You are well known around here and were on the verge of been given FGAddon commit access. Just have a look at the mailing list thread:

James asked for your SourceForge account name (required for commit access to all parts of FlightGear), and the last sentence sent was by yourself:

I will let you all know when I have a Sourceforge account set up, thank you!

If you were put off by Ludovic's message, please don't be. There are multiple development strategies that I have documented in the FGAddon wiki article, and some of which I have not. I suggest just writing to the list with your SourceForge ID, and you'll be up and committing in no time.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft