Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

GNU/GPL MiG-21 development

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: GNU/GPL MiG-21 development

Postby PINTO » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:49 pm

2 week update

+ Gyro compass - just a note about this, even though I mentioned it last time. It has 4 different kinds of drift simulated: earth rotation rate wander, latitude correction setting wander, transport wander, and gyro specific random wander. The FDS button is used to slave the gyro to an internal magnetic compass, which is sensitive to motion. So, be sure to hit the FDS button before taxiing, and if you're in flight make sure you are flying straight and level (hit ctrl+a for the autoleveller if you need to). It's also recommended to input the latitude on the latitude instrument on the lower middle cockpit (mistakenly labelled "magnetic declination") to help offset earth rotation rate wander. I've noticed a bug where the gyro compass will jump a very large amount of degrees, but it hasn't happened often enough for me to track it down yet and I'm not too terribly concerned. This is nasal free.

+ Dead reckoner - in lieu of an INS system, the MiG-21bis had a simpler dead reckoning system. Using the switches on the navigation radio panel labelled "Bearing" and "Distance", it's possible to set an imaginary point to fly towards or away from much like a NDB coupled with a DME. It calculates location based on true airspeed, pitch, and azimuth to the bearing setting. Receiving an NDB or a VOR station will override the bearing setting, and receiving a DME signal will override the distance setting. This is nasal free.

+ RWR - the RWR now works. It is limited based on several factors, such as: pitch to radiation source with respect to the MiG-21's pitch/roll/yaw, anything +/- 20 degrees will not appear; whether the radiation source is behind terrain; the radiation source's radar strength and distance (far away the RWR will blink slowly, close in the RWR will be a solid light); whether or not the MiG-21 is in the radiation source's cone (i.e. is it looking at me?); and if the radiation source has launched a missile at the MiG-21 (OPRF compatible only).

+ Dual R-60's can now be loaded on the outer pylons, through a modification of the payload script and how it handles pylons.

+ ADF and comm radio instruments are not yet functional, but are in place in the cockpit. The next goal is to get these working.

--------------------

Following ADF and comm radio integration, there will be another weapon systems pass including jettisoning, having to arm bombs, multi-bomb racks, multi-rocket launchers, more armament, Kh-66 guidance, Kh-25M guidance (thanks to Leto for making an anti-radiation guidance mode in the guided-missiles.nas script), as well as OPRF-compliant chaff and flares.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Skydive » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:41 pm

pjedvaj wrote in Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:38 pm:Nice work PINTO, old MiG-21bis model now really shows it's age. It would be too much work to update it with a recent 3D model.
All liveries would have to be repainted. Hope Skydive will impress us soon with the updated MiG-21-93/UPG variant.

Hi all the progress is quite slow for me. So far I have ported Mig-21Bison to a new external model by Pjedvaj. Inside cockpit is more like a placeholder as it needs to be reworked completely

video https://plays.tv/s/LTnk3LHJTTLb
Skydive

Version: 2020.3.11

Postby pjedvaj » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:01 am

Great work guys. I'm so proud of you. 8)
Retired
pjedvaj

Postby PINTO » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:46 pm

Another 2 week update:

New features:

+ OPRF compatible flares and chaff have been added. The flare/chaff 3D pod has not yet been added, however. This will be coming soon.

+ The UB-16 rocket pod has been added and the UB-32 rocket pod has been completely reworked and readded. The individual rockets do disappear as the pods are being fired.

+ ADF and Comm radios are now 100% functional. There is a switch on the bottom of the panel to the left of the Polyot-OI nav radio that toggles the HI source between ADF and VOR. The ADF outbound/inbound switch will work for Russian NDBs.

+ CG has been placed per the technical manual. Lift, drag, yaw and pitch have been tuned somewhat, but there's still much more FDM work to be done.

+ The R-27R1 and R-27T1 now drop from the aircraft prior to ignition. Ignition time is based on pressure altitude and distance to target.

+ The radar logic nasal file has been updated in preperation for adding the Kh-66 Grom. This update also brings in several optimizations.

+ Cannon ammo counting has been switched from nasal to jsbsim.

+ Gyro real drift has been decreased.

+ Missiles while in flight previously did not appear, only their exhaust. This has been fixed, the missile models will now appear.

+ LOC hold is now better, but G/S still needs to be tested.

Pictures:

UB-16 Firing Test

UB-32 Firing Test

UB-32 showing an empty pod

Kh-66

I'm in version 0.3, which is the weapons update. The autopilot and AI could still use some love, but I need to research how the Polyot-OI works and interacts with the Proceed/Navig/Landing switch and the ILS-CMD autopilot mode.

Currently working on getting the Kh-66 working. Following this will be the Kh-25MP, and adding the R-3 missile with several of it's variants (R, S, and P planned). Missiles I won't be doing on this update are the R-60M, RS-2US, R-55, R-13, R-73 and R-77, however I'm open to good pull requests. One issue I may run into is too many weapons for the menu system to handle, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Looking a little farther down the line, I'm hoping by the next two week update that the gunsight gauges and lights will be fully operational, the radar canvas will be complete, and fuel/stores will be jettisonable.

Pull requests and issue reports always welcome, see my sig for the link to the repo.
Last edited by PINTO on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Postby Wecsje » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:53 pm

Looking awesome there! Will have to try this one out during SNF :D
Twitch Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/wecsjelive
Contact methods: Discord (Wecsje#6351), FlightSims United discord (https://discord.me/flightsimsunited), Steam (Wecsje)
Track me on VATSIM: https://vatstats.net/pilots/1397313
Wecsje

Callsign: WS208J
Version: Newest

Postby abassign » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:59 pm

PINTO wrote in Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:46 pm:Another 2 week update:

New features:
+ OPRF compatible flares and chaff have been added. The flare/chaff 3D pod has not yet been added, however. This will be coming soon.
+ The UB-16 rocket pod has been added and the UB-32 rocket pod has been completely reworked and readded. The individual rockets do disappear as the pods are being fired.

Pinto is great, I hope soon to steal a bit of code to do the same thing on the G91-R1B :)
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby PINTO » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:04 am

By all means feel free. The disappearing rockets are just a select animation based on submodel count. :)

The logic for loading the rockets and the initial trigger is in payloads.nas, and the firing logic and the logic to propagate the trigger to select pods is in payloads.xml.

Flares/chaff are handled entirely in payloads.xml for now until I get the 3D done, then loading will be added to payloads.nas.

PINTO

Postby Skydive » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi Pinto, would you mind if I use your rocket pods on my Bison?
Skydive

Postby PINTO » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:44 pm

Go for it, I have no problems with that.

PINTO

Postby Skydive » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:55 am

Thank you very much, Pinto. Please check your PM I had slightly updated the UB-32 pod, see if it suits you too.
Skydive

Postby PINTO » Tue May 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Hello all

Due to a hard drive failure, I lost a lot of uncommited 3D work on this project. Between this, and lots of life going on, work had been slow for several months. However, work has restarted and there have been several things added to the cockpit.

Just as a general PSA, the way the gear handle works (as well as the 'g' and 'G' buttons on your keyboard) is no longer the FG standard.

This is the gear lever:

In order for the gear to retract, the pin across the top needs to be removed. After the gear is fully retracted, the handle needs to be returned to the neutral position. If the gear is not fully retracted before the handle is returned to neutral, then the gears will no longer be moving, and you can be stuck in the middle somewhere: Image

The 'g' and 'G' buttons now operate the gear lever, instead of acting on the gear directly.

PINTO

Postby PINTO » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Version 0.2.4 was recently pushed.

Included are updated weapons pylon selection, seperating out IR and radar missile locks completely, a completed radar lock screen (when the radar goes to horizontal mode), IFF now works over MP (a channel selector is coming soon, currently it uses channel 1 always), a lead computing gunsight, revised pipper movement, 4 new missiles (R-3S, R-3R, Kh-66 and Kh-25MP) with associated guidance implemented, S-24 finally received a texture, LOAL was expanded to the R-27R1 and Kh-25MP, and more.

The electrical system is working, however many things have not been tied into it yet. Battery drain is not yet implemented. Any switch that is "yellow" after pressing Ctrl+c works and is active.

Not done with the gunsight is the pipper bombing mode (missing documentation), as well as I haven't confirmed correct pipper functionality for low level flight. It also drifts excessively in some conditions.

Currently learning VSPAero, which will lead to a greatly improved FDM. Following this will see continued system implementation (electric/hydraulic/pneumatic). I hope to begin work in earnest on the MiG-21bisD before the year is out.

One thing that may be of interest to others developing planes, and in need of a small navigation radio, is the KFS-564A navigation radio. It is a part of the bisD, and I've completed it 100%. The files can be found here. It has both civilian and military modes, active/standby frequencies, 20 programmable memory channels, active frequency entry, and more.

Kh-25MP equipped during a SEAD training mission

PINTO

Postby PINTO » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:18 am

Since it's been 2 months, a brief update. Due to real life taking priority, I've only had a couple hours a night to work on this.

Currently live on master:
- The FDM has been greatly improved.
- The engine now surges with overspeed or over AoA, or with incorrect cone position (cone systems at 50% complete).
- Integrated ground controlled intercept over AI using OPRF assets.
- Smoke and contrails are prettier.
- The ARU (pitch limiter) is based on real values.
- Autostart is now available
- Multiple bug fixes

Coming soon (live on the dev branch):
- Weapon systems are nearing completion
- Pylon heating, addition of 12 new functional switches related to weapons
- Working IFF systems
- It is possible to jettison all stores, as well as perform a missile emergency release
- Checklists (HUGE thanks to Kokos for this)
- Drag due to stores
- Randomized startup states for several gauges and instruments, including fuel and INS
- Multiple bug fixes

Coming soon (in the next two weeks):
- Reworked radar screen 3D
- IFF channel selector
- Launcher rails based on selected payloads
- Chaff/Flare launcher 3D (and prep for the JATO units)
- Tutorial videos for the weapons systems

In addition, we have 5 new liveries thanks to Spectre currently live on master, for which I am extremely grateful:

PINTO

Postby enrogue » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:40 am

It looks fantastic - thanks for all the hard work!
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby Skydive » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:47 pm

I am still slowly working on MIG-21UPG
Project page: https://sky4viper.github.io/MiG-21UPG/
It can be downloaded from my box : https://app.box.com/s/iqswp1yk30r11g3p8vowgdpnf0g81oag

Using new different external model and cockpit, chaff, flares, bombs, ground equipment, frost and rain effects

Procedures:
1. Use F10 menu>MIG-21 BISON>Fast Payload to select payload
2. All clickable switches on the right panel ON (you can switch them on using realistic order, although at the moment it doesn't make much difference)
3. Engine start and flaps buttons are on the left
4. d key cycles weapon modes (Nav-Gun-Ground-Air1-Air2) this can also be controled using the knob under HUD or Weapons control panel
5. CTRL+W - master arm toggle
7. If using AG7 payload (Rockets+Bombs) put RKT/MSL switch on the right side to ON to select rockets and OFF to select Bombs
8. f - fire selected weapon
9. p - deploy dragchute
10. j - jettison dragchute
11. If the glass gets frozen over at high altitude, increase temperature using air conditioning switch on the left panel

Full startup procedure can be found here: https://github.com/Sky4Viper/MiG-21UPG/wiki/Startup-procedure

Notes. Radar is not implemented, therefore guided missiles do not track anything.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Skydive

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft