Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Trying to fix the B-29

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Trying to fix the B-29

Postby isantop » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:52 am

Hello. I'm relatively new to flightgear, as well as flight simulators in general. In addition, I'm a programmer, which means I want to do wierd things with my programs.

Anyways, The main reason I decided to use flightgear was because it had a Boeing B-29 Bomber. You can imagine how disgruntled I was to find out it doesn't work! While I do still use flightgear, I still want to fly my B-29! So I decided to take a look at the config file. Now, I'm not great with xml, but I have some good experience with html, and so know how markup languages work.

Upon opening the file, I imediatly found a comment saying it was written for FG 0.9.3. Problem Identified. But that's only half the work! (in this case, it seems more like a tenth! :) )

Although the file would fail to load, I decided to try (emphasis on try) to fix the file. I made all my backups, and set to work. To start, I replaced the orginal b29.xml with the 737-300.xml file from the Boeing 737. I then replaced all of the numbers with the ones from the original b29.xml file. I also made common sense changes (such as adding two more engines, etc) to the best of my ability.

After several long, hard hours copying data from file to file, I finally made my final saves and launched flightgear. However, despite my work, it aborts after "Initializing Subsystems" with a command line output of "FlightGear Aborting".

So I got desparate. I noticed the sounds file was referenceing sounds belonging to another a/c, so I used some modified P-51D sounds and some in FGROOT to replace them.

Again, however, FG still won't load it and still gives me the same output. I am trying the JSBSim model.

So, any ideas? I can post the b29 folder up next week.
isantop

Postby HeliFlyer » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:32 am

Hi isantop,

no need to do such work. "Lucky Lady" works perfectly with the 0.9.11 prerelease version (which will become 1.0.0 at release time) and also with the FG OSG CVS version (and is one of the superior a/c models for FG). I did only test the YASIM flightmodel version.

Although you might use an older FlightGear version there is a little chance that it could also work with 0.9.10, just try. Otherwise wait some time (weeks?) until the final FG 1.0.0 release will be available, a lot of work is done at this time to get it out.

Here is the link to the FG data CVS b29 folder

http://cvs.flightgear.org/cgi-bin/viewv ... craft/b29/

and here to download the tarball

http://cvs.flightgear.org/cgi-bin/viewv ... z?view=tar

Regards
Georg EDDW
HeliFlyer
Retired

Postby isantop » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:37 am

Thank you! I'm so happy to hear such wonderful news! Since I don't mind prerelease software, I think I might go get that prerelease version!
isantop

Postby YourDailyTsunami » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:16 pm

HeliFlyer wrote:Although you might use an older FlightGear version there is a little chance that it could also work with 0.9.10, just try. Otherwise wait some time (weeks?) until the final FG 1.0.0 release will be available, a lot of work is done at this time to get it out.
Georg EDDW

It works fine with my FG 0.9.10.
all the booze is free, airline goin' broke, here come the ladies with another jack'n'coke... :P
YourDailyTsunami

Callsign: Tsunami

Return to Aircraft