Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

North American XB-70

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: North American XB-70

Postby F22-killed-you » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:27 am

someguy wrote:Swindel,

Just to keep your enthusiasm up :) check out the new B-70 video at Zeno's:
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/MATINEE.html

I don't have the time to look at it (26minutes) but i read the description, sounds exciting! :lol:

Swindel
Google it!
Results 1 - 10 of about 351,000 for MSFS. (0.41 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 6,480,000 for FlightGear. (0.07 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 137,000 for Flightprosim. (0.31 seconds)
F22-killed-you

Postby F22-killed-you » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:04 pm

Sorry for double post but, can anyone start the engines:
http://www.4shared.com/file/164818794/3 ... XB-70.html

I can't seem to, (ignore the fact that the plane is a few metres off the ground :lol: ), but it is fun to put the plane to 10000ft altitude at 1000kts then just fly around till you reach 140kts where you will most likely go plummeting down while trying to keep the altitude stable!

Swindel
Google it!
F22-killed-you

Postby papillon81 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi there,

it's nice to see other people being interested in modeling this very interesting aircraft, too. I am not finished with it. In fact I have not done too much work in recent months on it. However I constantly refined some details and are currently stuck on modeling the movable visor. Animations of rudders are no big deal and already working partially. If anyone is interested, the latest stuff is always available here:
http://www.ilovelinux.de/svn/fgfs-ffm/user/aircraft/

Cheers,
Chris
Scenery guy. Currently working on: Terragear improvements for the 850 apt.dat format
Scenery Repo: http://gitorious.org/papillon81/flightgear-custom-scenery/"
papillon81

Callsign: D-PAP
Version: GIT

Postby someguy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:46 am

Swindel, to get your engines working, add this to your XB-70-set.xml file, after </sim>:

Code: Select all
<engines>
  <engine n="0">
    <running>true</running>
  </engine>
  <engine n="1">
    <running>true</running>
  </engine>
  <engine n="2">
    <running>true</running>
  </engine>
  <engine n="3">
    <running>true</running>
  </engine>
  <engine n="4">
    <running>true</running>
  </engine>
  <engine n="5">
    <running>true</running>
  </engine>
</engines>

With working engines, your model flies well--perhaps too well! I landed it on Nimitz a couple of times. :) Don't expect supersonic speeds, though. A little more work and this will be a really fun plane. A *lot* more work and it could be stunning. And watch the Zeno video: it will be a lot of help when you animate the gear, since you can watch it retract from a chase plane.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby F22-killed-you » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:46 pm

someguy wrote:Swindel, to get your engines working, add this to your XB-70-set.xml file, after </sim>:

Code: Select all
<engines>
  <engine n="0">
    <running>true</running>
  </engine>
  <engine n="1">
    <running>true</running>
  </engine>
  <engine n="2">
    <running>true</running>
  </engine>
  <engine n="3">
    <running>true</running>
  </engine>
  <engine n="4">
    <running>true</running>
  </engine>
  <engine n="5">
    <running>true</running>
  </engine>
</engines>

With working engines, your model flies well--perhaps too well! I landed it on Nimitz a couple of times. :) Don't expect supersonic speeds, though.

I tried it but it didn't work. :?

A little more work and this will be a really fun plane. A *lot* more work and it could be stunning. And watch the Zeno video: it will be a lot of help when you animate the gear, since you can watch it retract from a chase plane.

There's plenty of videos of the weird way the valkyrie retracts its gear, it's awesome! And i think you got me wrong, I can't animate, I need someone to do that. :lol:
When you say a lot more work, what do you mean? I'd really like to put a lot of work into this, but I have no idea what to do. I don't know a thing about jsbsim, yasim, animations, texturing.. etc. :oops:
Google it!
F22-killed-you

Postby someguy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:13 pm

F22-killed-you wrote:I tried it but it didn't work. :?

You mean, you added the code and the engines weren't running? It should be outside of the <sim></sim> container. PM me your email address, and I'll send you the whole package with a few more mods. The cockpit view is still wrong, but you can adjust that from the View menu after spawning. You're running it in CVS, right? Don't be surprised when it crashes fgfs after awhile, with crazy disk activity.

When you say a lot more work, what do you mean? I'd really like to put a lot of work into this, but I have no idea what to do. I don't know a thing about jsbsim, yasim, animations, texturing.. etc.

Heh. Learning all those skills, for starters. :)
someguy

Postby F22-killed-you » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:05 pm

someguy wrote:
F22-killed-you wrote:I tried it but it didn't work. :?

You mean, you added the code and the engines weren't running? It should be outside of the <sim></sim> container. PM me your email address, and I'll send you the whole package with a few more mods. The cockpit view is still wrong, but you can adjust that from the View menu after spawning. You're running it in CVS, right? Don't be surprised when it crashes fgfs after awhile, with crazy disk activity.

When you say a lot more work, what do you mean? I'd really like to put a lot of work into this, but I have no idea what to do. I don't know a thing about jsbsim, yasim, animations, texturing.. etc.

Heh. Learning all those skills, for starters. :)

Whoops, it was in the <sim></sim> :lol:

A few more mods like what? Don't get me wrong, i really appreciate it, but what did you change? :wink:

as for the texturing and uv mapping, Isix is doing that, i think.

And i really don't have the determination to learn anything at the moment. :(

Animations, I don't know how to do and if someone could do them it would be great as i've cut out all the pieces in skp and grouped them. For example: the wing is made of many groups; the main part, the wingtip which can fold and the speedbrakes.
Google it!
F22-killed-you

Postby someguy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:53 am

I diddled a number so the gear sits on the runway. You really should fix the centerpoint before tweaking that sort of thing, though. Judging by the chase view, it seems to be a bit aft of the nozzles.

Oh, and I added 100,000 lb of thrust per engine. NOW the thing goes supersonic! :)
someguy

Postby owenpsmith » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:41 am

I love the XB-70 and would love to help anyway I can, but I haven't got into doing any modelling yet so can't help much there. I would love to help with the textures, and I also have a fair collection of XB-70 material including a copy of the flight manual that could help with refining the flight model, and lots of pictures from the USAF Museum.

Owen.
Aircraft: Bristol Freighter Mk.31, Canadair CL-41 Tutor

Learn from the mistakes of others, only in FlightGear will you live long enough to make them all yourself.
owenpsmith

Version: 2020.3.11

Postby F22-killed-you » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Owen, we have a model. But that's about it. If you ever want it just send me a PM
Google it!
F22-killed-you

Postby owenpsmith » Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 pm

I just went on to the USAF Museum site and noticed they have some 3D cockpit views for many of their aircraft, including the XB-70. They are much higher resolution than those I've seen from other museums. You can zoom right in on each instruments and see the details. Great resource for any modeller!
Aircraft: Bristol Freighter Mk.31, Canadair CL-41 Tutor

Learn from the mistakes of others, only in FlightGear will you live long enough to make them all yourself.
owenpsmith

Version: 2020.3.11

Previous

Return to Aircraft