Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

How to make an Aircraft....

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: How to make an Aircraft....

Postby QF52 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:08 pm

Hello
I am currently doing a project im calling project Beluga
I am modeling the Airbus beluga and have come to a halt when i am supposed to do mapping because i have it in Sketchup its in AC3d format can someone please help
Yes if you hear this it's true im modeling the Sydney Opera House
'Qantas orders more A380's and some Boeing Dreamliners (787's) hope to get on one someday =-)
QF52

Callsign: QF52 or SOA1

Postby QF52 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:17 pm

Hello
I am modeling the Airbus beluga and have come to a halt when i am supposed to do mapping because i have it in Sketchup its in AC3d format can someone please help
'Qantas orders more A380's and some Boeing Dreamliners (787's) hope to get on one someday =-)
QF52

Postby QF52 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:21 pm

Hello
QF52

Postby karla » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:09 am

I'm new to FGFS and I'm getting the impression that, as FG gets more popular, we will see many people modelling the same aircraft, duplicating effort and wasting talent. Without looking too hard I've found some examples already. OK - we're free to do what we want - but is it worth considering a database/list/record sheet/whatever, where we can all easily see who wants to do what? It may lead to more team orientated projects and will certainly avoid waste. I saw a list of established airports and others under development somewhere which does a similar job. This is not a criticism, please just take it as a friendly suggestion. If I've totally missed something let me know.
Piper Cub, B777-200ER mods, EGGD, EGKK, KSFO T2
karla

Postby Liam » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:53 am

Surely CVS does just that, or the devel list. Besides, its always advised that you gather as much material as possible before starting a project, on both the aircraft/scenery location and in Flightgear.
Liam

Callsign: Liam
Version: GIT

Postby F22-killed-you » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:21 pm

Hey HHS,
I just learnt something from Gijs, may be obvious to everyone, it wasn't to me. :lol:

Don't use MSword for xml, a bunch of garbage comes out.

So you might want to add that, because I used this as a guideline and it didn't say so i got confused :D

Swindel
Google it!
Results 1 - 10 of about 351,000 for MSFS. (0.41 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 6,480,000 for FlightGear. (0.07 seconds)
Results 1 - 10 of about 137,000 for Flightprosim. (0.31 seconds)
F22-killed-you

Postby karla » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:29 pm

Thanks, I guess this is the "devel list" - http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Ca ... craft_TODO

I'll take more time and study what's going on in this list - and get some understanding of CVS before I do anything further (I'm currently customizing the 777-200ER).
Piper Cub, B777-200ER mods, EGGD, EGKK, KSFO T2
karla

Postby Gijs » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:36 pm

karla wrote:Thanks, I guess this is the "devel list" - http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Ca ... craft_TODO

Not excactly. Devel-list is refers to our mailing list about FG development. More info can be found at http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Mailing_list
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby redneck » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:30 am

Here's a cool idea. Use a 3-d scanner to scan a model aircraft that can be imported into Blender for editing. I've ever done it before, but I assume it's easier than building from scratch. Click here for the tutorial on how to do it for cheap.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby simbabeat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:58 am

I've heard about doing that before but I also heard that it doesn't get it very precise unless you have some nice equipment.
simbabeat

Postby Arthur Maiden » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:58 pm

thats why you edit the model later?
FGUK - A FlightGear community in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
Callsign: G-PHEN
AVA Callsign: AVA0016 - RETIRED
The development of the S92 has infected my Avatar...
Arthur Maiden

Callsign: G-PHEN
Version: GIT

Postby Bonjitomj » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:45 am

Wait! I have just downloaded the JBSsim package. But when I try to open it, the computer says to choose an application. Something is not right! :shock: :shock:
Bonjitomj

Callsign: F-GZCP

Postby pjedvaj » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:12 am

I've found a great tutorial for creating aircrafts:
http://www.colacola.se/wip_p47_refsetup.htm
Retired
pjedvaj

Postby alva » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Sorry i did not read that topic before, i am retarded :(

May i include a remark regarding the fdm:
For some reasons, you may want to use jsbsim , if you are missing the tunnel data, most of the Aircraft specifications gives you the airfoil identification ( root and tip ).
There is an existing great tool which calculate Lift, Drag, Pitch moment, ..... against the given airfoil id.
There is a lot of others parameters which are required as input ( Reynolds , Mach, AOA range ... )
The output are graphs and values.
Here the tool it is XFOIL based.

http://xflr5.sourceforge.net/xflr5.htm

I experienced, using it with Linux.
You will notice, it is built available for MAC, MSWindows, and Linux. The source is also available.

EDIT: I forgot, xflr5 is not only closed to the Airfoil spec calculation, but opened to others features about the Airplane which are very interesting.
Alva ( callsign 4X-ALVA )
Official GRTUX hangar maintainer.
alva
Retired

Postby hvengel » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:39 am

alva wrote:Sorry i did not read that topic before, i am retarded :(

May i include a remark regarding the fdm:
For some reasons, you may want to use jsbsim , if you are missing the tunnel data, most of the Aircraft specifications gives you the airfoil identification ( root and tip ).
There is an existing great tool which calculate Lift, Drag, Pitch moment, ..... against the given airfoil id.
There is a lot of others parameters which are required as input ( Reynolds , Mach, AOA range ... )
The output are graphs and values.
Here the tool it is XFOIL based.

http://xflr5.sourceforge.net/xflr5.htm

I experienced, using it with Linux.
You will notice, it is built available for MAC, MSWindows, and Linux. The source is also available.

EDIT: I forgot, xflr5 is not only closed to the Airfoil spec calculation, but opened to others features about the Airplane which are very interesting.

There are a number of JSBSim FDM's that have used xflr5/6 to generate lift/drag polars. The results start to get iffy at and beyond the stall point but my experience using these tools is that the polars beyond stall are plausible which is about all you can expect without access to a wind tunnel. It takes a lot of work to generate a full set of polars and you need to have at least a basic understanding of aerodynamics.
hvengel
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft