Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Russian Helicopter Mil Mi-6

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Russian Helicopter Mil Mi-6

Postby Blender3D » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Now for some new stuff: the nearly finished Tailrotor with it's gear:

--Blender3D
Fly one of the biggest rotary wing aircraft the world has seen so far! --> Get the newest version now! (http://gitorious.org/mil-mi-6/mi6dev/archive-tarball/master or "git clone git://gitorious.org/mil-mi-6/mi6dev.git")
Blender3D

Postby kyokoyama » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:55 am

WHOA that looks really good but now I'm getting legit'ly scared about my framerates on my poor, stupid computer... :shock:
(Great job on the details! There're only a handful of aircraft with that much detail -welcome to the list! :D )
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby Blender3D » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:16 pm

WHOA that looks really good but now I'm getting legit'ly scared about my framerates on my poor, stupid computer... :shock:
(Great job on the details! There're only a handful of aircraft with that much detail -welcome to the list! :D )

Don't worry! I don't have a very strong graphic card myself and it runs ok. Furthermore this aircraft is still in development, so in future versions details that cannot be seen will be disabled. E.g. the main rotor's gear will be disabled if you are in one of the cockpit views. But you are right I'll have to work on that. I can also gain a few frames per minute if I don't model duplicated objects as individual ones but use a technique like the Tu-154B has. That will reduce loading times rather than render time.
But these features will have to wait until I'm done with the modelling.

--Blender3D
Fly one of the biggest rotary wing aircraft the world has seen so far! --> Get the newest version now! (http://gitorious.org/mil-mi-6/mi6dev/archive-tarball/master or "git clone git://gitorious.org/mil-mi-6/mi6dev.git")
Blender3D

Postby Gijs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Excellent progress update!
Blender3D wrote in Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:16 pm: I can also gain a few frames per minute if I don't model duplicated objects as individual ones but use a technique like the Tu-154B has. That will reduce loading times rather than render time.

Could you eloborate on that? Might even post it to to discussion about issues of loading MP aircraft: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14814
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Blender3D » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Gijs wrote in Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:31 pm:Could you eloborate on that? Might even post it to to discussion about issues of loading MP aircraft: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14814

Sorry, I probably overestimated the capabilities of the select animation. But the Tu-154B uses this animation to disable rendering the exterior model when possible.

--Blender3D
Blender3D

Postby i4dnf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:26 pm

What isn't in the FOV isn't rendered. And constantly swaping in and out of memory parts of the aircraft is less effective and induces more overhead than the culling operations. Also if you use some low detail impostor for some objects at a distance, make sure you use the same texture as the "original" high poly version. Loading textures is the most expensive operation in fg currently (you need to unpack the png, generate the mipmaps on the fly then upload the uncompressed texture+mipmaps to the gpu.). This texture loading is the cause of the freezes averyone notices when some detailed aircraft joins MP.
i4dnf
Retired

Callsign: YR-I4D
Version: GIT

Postby Blender3D » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:03 am

New Update...

New: Indicators for engine oil pressure and temperature.
Also a lot of polygons have been removed so the total count is below 600 000 now instead of the previous 700 000+

Have fun with it :-)

--Blender3D
Blender3D

Postby HerbyW » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:01 pm

Mil-Mi-6Poschar variant is now ready to flight!

More info and download at: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Mil_Mi-6

SAR implementation and livery is the next step.

So far it has now a full automatic flight system, instruments, and lots of animations in MP-Modus.

Mi6 test area is: UIBB

Have fun! HerbyW
HerbyW

Postby HerbyW » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:56 am

Version 3.0.2 is now ready. Again with lots of new stuff.

Read the aircraft help for all features.

Rescue mode, floating mode, landing mode, different starting modes, water filling with tube from any lake or see, controllable water cannon, wildfire MP action, Elephant sculpture transport, paratroopers, search light, landing and taxi lights, Full Rembrandt support, lots of shortcuts, Autopilot with all functions, full working instrumentation, ground effects, original sounds, liveries, all functions in Multi-player Mode.

Have a nice flight,
HerbyW
HerbyW

Postby HerbyW » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:06 am

Version 4.0.2 is now on my git.

https://github.com/HerbyW?tab=repositories

Comming soon: Tu-160-Blackjack - Be-200Altair - cat793D (catapillar)
FlyingCat (hotairballon) - Scharmorton (roziereballon)

The external flightgear hangar for signiture aircrafts and vehicles
with state of art multiplayer functions, full rembrandt support, no errors
and a lot of fun for you!
Any problems you may tell me, they will get fixed in no time.
You can download these planes with the QTLauncher after adding this link as additional Aircraft Hangar location:
http://static.djgummikuh.de/Aircraft/catalog.xml
HerbyW

Postby Michat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:21 am

https://b2aeaa58a57a200320db-8b65b95250e902c437b256b5abf3eac7.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/media_entries/12720/Captura_de_pantalla_de_2017-01-01_231328.png

MI6-PS Helicopter and followme at LFKF demo show.

That helicopter is the most versatile aircraft I've ever seen in FG.

Sensational Herbyw

Hare Krishna FG'ers
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby HerbyW » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Latest updates: version: 4.0.3
ice system for windows and rotor implemented, switches in the overhead panel for heating.
landing and taxi lights and a search light, manageable via switches or shortcuts, special ambient lights, new view definitions with shortcuts
wind-compass and working speed indicator for ground- and airspeed
beacon and strobe lights and switches
Autorotation Automatic Settings (hold a speed of not less than 80 and watch rpm of rotors)
fuel system, tank animation, fuel consumption
HerbyW

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:46 pm

So has anyone researched the actual main rotor RPM of this helo? 60 RPM looks to be far too slow according to some MI-6 videos I've seen online.

Looks like it's closer to 90~100 rpm. I'm also finding the amount of cyclic to be far too high. Have you actually test flown this? It's really over-reactive.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby pommesschranke » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:56 am

pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby HerbyW » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Do not panic!

I have all 3 russia manuals for aerodynamics, electrical and usage.

It runs with 123 rpm.

Have fun with it!
HerbyW

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft