Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

RV-6A

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: RV-6A

Postby AndersG » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:55 pm

CareyParks wrote in Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:28 pm:Thanks Johan,

I have looked thru a lot of the developer portal, and the stuff there makes sense, but where I'm stuck is on little tiny details that I can't find the answers to:

1) How to I talk to gitorius? Do I need some kind of terminal emulator? Can I telnet into it?

2) Do I have to clone/download my own git for my computer? I'm just me and I'm only working on a new aircraft so concurrent update isn't a problem. Can I just work on the files in a folder?

I think there is better documentation on how to use the specific tools for 3D modeling. But I am pretty good at Google Sketchup. I bet that won't fly with FlightGear tho will it?

You can do without git or any other version control if you like. When you are ready to contribute your creation to FG it is usually possible to do so by providing a compressed archive - but it is good to build a connection to one or more regular contributors that can commit your work and later updates meanwhile.

If you do want to interact with gitorious it is done using git tools - the MinGW git package is a decent git client for Windows given that you can handle a unix style command line interface.

CareyParks wrote in Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:28 pm:I don't have all that much time to spend in this direction, and I'm trying to not spend it figuring out non-productive puzzles. If someone who has made an aircraft on Windows could just post exactly how they got to the point they could edit their aircraft I would be most grateful. I'm sure I'll have no problem with the modeling or even the coding - I've written a lot of software in different languages over the years. But it's pretty much an opaque wall at this point.

An aircraft is just a set of files in a directory. You can create a new directory in $FG_ROOT/Aircraft/ and you are off. The rest is just filling in the content of the files :)

Looking at some existing aircraft may help. E.g. the c172p that comes with FG. The <foo>-set.xml file is the main entrypoint that ties all files of an aircraft together. Here is one of my work-in-progress projects: https://gitorious.org/anders-hangar/mfi-9/ Never mind that it is a git repository (I use that for version control and back-up purposes) - you can download the whole thing as a compressed archive too and dig into the files.

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:58 pm

CareyParks wrote in Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:28 pm:1) How to I talk to gitorius? Do I need some kind of terminal emulator? Can I telnet into it?

2) Do I have to clone/download my own git for my computer? I'm just me and I'm only working on a new aircraft so concurrent update isn't a problem. Can I just work on the files in a folder?

git is like cvs or subversion in a sense - it just allows you to manage code.
You can use a GUI (graphical program) to deal wiith the repo - cloning the repository will give you a local copy of it, so that you can independently change things.

normally, I'd agree with Philosopher - but given your background (i.e. having written software in various programming language), I find it hard to imagine that you'll have problems dealing with the concepts, I suggest these links to get a rough idea:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Development_Workflow
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Talk:Development_Workflow
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Git_for_Laymen
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Git

Then again, none of this is important - you could just as well get in touch with another contributor to get your stuff committed, so that you will never have to deal with it yourself - whatever you prefer...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby CareyParks » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:29 am

Thank you thank you thank you thank you! I use Sketchup to draw my products and the jigs and fixtures I make for my shop. I would be very pleased to be able to use that expertise to make a panel or whatnot.

I could put a few hangars around a couple local grass strips (near KFMY) for a start, just to make it look right when you are there.

The current show-stopper question is - how to get the RV-6A "source" our of Gitoriuos? I can download files one-by-one, but there has to be a way to get the whole branch of the tree, no? OR do I need the whole archive?

Once I have the RV-6A and another similar aircraft that works, I might have a go at making the RV work.

Thanks again!

Carey
Working on
Aircraft: RV-7
Airports: Page Field, Ft Myers, FL
CareyParks

Postby Johan G » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:21 am

CareyParks wrote in Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:29 am:The current show-stopper question is - how to get the RV-6A "source" our of Gitoriuos? I can download files one-by-one, but there has to be a way to get the whole branch of the tree, no? OR do I need the whole archive?

A viable alternative is to use the aircraft download page. While it is not at all obvious, the Git branch does not include anything in addition to the packaged version on the aircraft download page, except of course any updates. :wink: :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby CareyParks » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:12 pm

OK, that helps. Thanks. That won't be the last time I make things harder than they really are! I'm off to see what I can do...
Working on
CareyParks

Postby CareyParks » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks to your assistance, I have added the "A group" of T-hangars at Page Field to the scenery here in Ft Myers, FL. Pretty simple really. The UFO is really a cool way to interact with the space. I'll add some doors and vents to the hangars and submit them for inclusion to the database as soon as I manage to also add the new taxiway which was added when the hangars were built. That group of hangars is not shown as paved on

http://mapserver.flightgear.org/map/?lo ... FTFFFTFFFF

but you can see them directly below the runway intersection here:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/@26 ... a=!3m1!1e3

so I will need to add taxiway along with the hangars. I'm threading my way through the WED maze now.

Thanks again for the kick-start.

Carey
Working on
CareyParks

Previous

Return to Aircraft