Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Lockheed 1049H Constellation (Beta Release)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Lockheed 1049H Constellation (Beta Release)

Postby Yakko » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:45 am

I've been running it under 2.4 and it doesn't seem to behave any differently than it does under 2.0 - all my power settings, speeds, flaps, etc react exactly the way I got used to under 2.0.

It is pretty speed-sensitive. If you are swaying and rocking around a lot, double check your speeds. With flaps at 1st stop, 180 max, second stop 160 max, 3rd and 4th around 130 max. Gear out when under 160. The autopilot starts to get sloppy at speeds over about 230 and altitude control starts to jump up and down.
Clean landings are doable, but you gotta play by the numbers. It will certainly let you know if you're coming in too slow or too hot. It also likes a touch of rudder now and then - trying to bring it back onto the center line with yoke controls alone is very hard to do. Try adjusting speed (140 for approach with flaps at second stop, slow to 120 with flaps all the way out just before touchdown) and see if it settles down for you - if not than maybe something else is going on....
Flying (mostly) the Lockheed Constellation as YAKKO on MPServers :)
Yakko

Callsign: Yakko
Version: 2017.4

Postby Buckaroo » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:11 am

Pretty much what I found when I tried flying it last night. Very difficult to wrestle it down to the tarmac, but if I fly the approach carefully and manage the numbers, then it's doable, even by the likes of me. (I only build 'em-- you /really/ don't want me flying 'em.) Low speed is tricky for me since I don't have rudder pedals and have to jockey the keyboard controls; my approaches are ugly but still manageable.

I do think the FDM could be improved. My early attempts at modifying the flying characteristics resulted in problems, so I abandoned that stuff and stayed in the realm of systems simulation and graphics. Back then I knew little about flight models, but I'm a little more experienced now. I'm itching to explore JSBsim and would love to take Connie's engine simulation to the next level, but I've got too many projects on the fire.

-Buck
Callsign: Buckaro(o)
Author: Lockheed 1049H Constellation, Grumman Goose, MD-81, Edgley Optica, Velocity XL RG, YASim Guide
Buckaroo

Version: 2.10

Postby jentron » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:31 am

I tend to be fairly swamped with family commitments now, but would be happy to offer suggestions for fine tuning either the FDM or the engine behavior, if you could give some feedback on what it does now and what it should do...

Ron
Aircraft: F-4E, Cessna 182RG, Fi-156 Storch, Diamond DA20 Katana and Eclipse, Ercoupe, LZ-129, Gossamer Albatross
Airports: CYKF, CNC4, KHIF, 42U, KOXB, 4MD1
jentron

Version: custom

Postby Buckaroo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:30 pm

Thank you Ron, I will definitely take you up on that when I come back to Connie and if I can get my understanding up to speed. So much to learn and do, and so dang little time.

-Buck
Author: Lockheed 1049H Constellation, Grumman Goose, MD-81, Edgley Optica, Velocity XL RG, YASim Guide
Buckaroo

Version: 2.10

Postby Captain97 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:07 pm

So, I downloaded this plane from the Lake of Constance hanger, but every time I try to load the plane, it doesn't work. This weird yellow and blue plane loads instead. Now, I have had this issue before on other planes, and I know how to normally fix it. But, my usual fix isn't working.
Captain97

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:52 pm

there should not be any ""fix"" needed if it is installed properly...

where did you download it from?
what is the directory name the craft is in? if it has "-master", remove that...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Captain97 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:19 pm

I got the plane from the Lake of Constance hanger. The directory name is correct. I removed the "-master", like I always do.

the directory name was "Lockheed 1049h-master". I finally got it to load properly by renaming it to "Lockheed 1049H" for some reason. After I changed the lower case to an upper case letter, that worked for some weird reason. Anyone have guesses as to why?
Captain97

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:10 am

are you on linux or mac? both of them are case sensitive... the problem here is that the craft is coded to look in "Lockheed 1049H" and the lower case "h" resulted in things not being found... i'd report this back to the developers so they can correct the craft's code or change the name of the directory...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Captain97 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:38 am

I'm on a Mac.
Captain97

Postby Thorsten » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:19 am

Generally, if you install planes from 3rd parties, you should contact the 3rd party where you got the plane from for support. We have no insight into or control over development processes on external hangars, we don't know whether the maintainer applied necessary updates (and we can't even guarantee that a 3rd party plane is not malicious and messes with your configurations - this is theoretically possible).
Thorsten

Postby Yakko » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:46 pm

Case sensitive directories will always throw you off, especially if it was created in an environment that ignores case. Mac is odd because sometimes it honors case in filenames, and sometimes not. Linux will always honor case in filenames.

All that being said its still my all time favorite plane in FG and whenever I have to upgrade FG itself I'll deal with whatever fiddling I have to in order to make it work again.
Flying (mostly) the Lockheed Constellation as YAKKO on MPServers :)
Yakko

Callsign: Yakko
Version: 2017.4

Postby portreekid » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:08 am

In order to test jetways.nas I added the door coords. So if anyone is actively maintaining this acft.

Code: Select all
    <model>
      <path>Aircraft/Lockheed1049h/Models/Lockheed1049h.xml</path>
      <livery>
        <file type="string">EasternGSF</file>
      </livery>
      <door n="0">
          <position-x-m>7</position-x-m>
          <position-y-m>-1.8</position-y-m>
          <position-z-m>0</position-z-m>     
          <jetway-hood-deg>2</jetway-hood-deg>     
      </door>