Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Lockheed 1049H Constellation (Beta Release)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Lockheed 1049H Constellation (Beta Release)

Postby Yakko » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Ummm- you know thats a good question.......is there a way to simulate one thru your mouse control panels by holding a key (usually CTRL or OPTION) while clicking? I haven't used a 2 button mouse in decades, so I really never thought about that possibility :)
Flying (mostly) the Lockheed Constellation as YAKKO on MPServers :)
Yakko

Callsign: Yakko
Version: 2017.4

Postby simbabeat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:06 pm

Dang. First thing ever a mac hasn't been able to do. It will let me use the side buttons as other buttons bu you have to have a script for a middle mouse button which I don't. Kinda funny you say you have't used a two-button mouse in forever because it seems to me (atleast in the mac world) that two-button mouses are the future. Gosh it's so weird talking from a mac users perspective even though I only use mac 5% of the time now that I dual boot Ubuntu....
simbabeat

Postby Yakko » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:31 pm

I have always used 3 button mice on everything (including Macs)....

If you are using a Mac with the new Mighty Mouse - that is a 3 buttton mouse! The roller ball in the middle is your middle button, but you need to go into your System Preferences and configure it to be "button 3"....
Yakko

Postby AndersG » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:34 pm

simbabeat wrote:Kinda funny you say you have't used a two-button mouse in forever because it seems to me (atleast in the mac world) that two-button mouses are the future.

Without any scroll wheel? On PCs two button mice with a scroll wheel (which when clicked act as MMB) seems to be common.

On a side note it might be convenient to add scroll wheel support to the pick animations, see, e.g., the ZLT-NT for an example of that. (Assuming the Connie doesn't already support it :)

/Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Farmboy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:40 am

On a mac use cntrl click or alt click. One of those two keystrokes will be the opposite of button click for turning the animation backwards.

Peter
Horsepower is just an illusion. Torque is the true answer.
Farmboy

Location: NorthEast New York State, and the rest of New England....

Postby simbabeat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:55 am

Yakko wrote:I have always used 3 button mice on everything (including Macs)....

If you are using a Mac with the new Mighty Mouse - that is a 3 buttton mouse! The roller ball in the middle is your middle button, but you need to go into your System Preferences and configure it to be "button 3"....

Old mighty mouse.
Farmboy wrote:On a mac use cntrl click or alt click. One of those two keystrokes will be the opposite of button click for turning the animation backwards.

Peter

ahhhh thanks I will try that later.
simbabeat

Postby Thorsten » Sat May 29, 2010 12:45 pm

I have found finally some time to re-discover the Connie in 2.0.0 and go into the details - and I'd like to say that I absolutely love the plane. It's sometimes a bit tricky to fly - which is fun, it requires some work on the engineer's panel - which is a challenge, there's no DME, so IFR requires some thinking, and I took some practice before I managed to land without a bounce.

Also, thank you for the rather detailed manual, which is very helpful in understanding what is going on. Which brings me to one question - in climbing, I usually set the mixture based on the torque pressure gauges under the assumption that this is the power which is transferred to the air. It seems to be working well, but I wonder if that is the correct procedure - in the manual you talk more about the EGT gauges to determine mixture setting?

Just to show how nice flights in the Connie can be - this are a few shots from a trip from Marseille to Geneva:

Approaching Grenoble in well-developed Cumulus:

Level with an Altocumulus field shortly before descent close to Annecy:

On final approach to Geneva airport:

... absolutely great.
Thorsten

Postby simbabeat » Sat May 29, 2010 2:56 pm

OH MY F#!@#$%^&*( GOD Thorsten!!!!!

Those are the BEST pics I have ever seen in fgfs!
simbabeat

Postby Yakko » Sat May 29, 2010 4:30 pm

WOW - I never get scenery views like that out of MY 2.0.0 - did they release a new scenery build that I missed somewhere?

Torque pressure monitoring is indeed the proper indicator for mixture adjustment - mixture does effect EGT so that can be a cross-check indication as well but the objective is to keep the keep the torque pressure at its peak and then set the manifold pressure with the throttles for the desired power.

The 2.0.0 version also brings the two speed superchargers into play.
Yakko

Postby Gijs » Sat May 29, 2010 6:02 pm

Yakko wrote:WOW - I never get scenery views like that out of MY 2.0.0 - did they release a new scenery build that I missed somewhere?

The scenery in this pictures makes use of different textures, that are available here: http://flightgear.xf.cz/
Sadly, the textures are not GNU GPL compatible and therefore cannot be included with the official data of FlightGear...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Thorsten » Sat May 29, 2010 6:13 pm

Yes, I have a few addons for the view...

* the alternative summer textures Gijs mentioned
* France custom scenery package (that's why the resolution of landcover is so good - as far as I know this should become standard in Europe for the next version of the terrain) - which is I fly quite often in France
* clouds by myself (the package I've been flying with isn't published yet, but the published gets fairly similar results, apart from the automatic placement in mountains)
Thorsten

Postby simbabeat » Sat May 29, 2010 10:08 pm

* clouds by myself (the package I've been flying with isn't published yet, but the published gets fairly similar results, apart from the automatic placement in mountains)

Are you eventually going to publish it in GIT?
simbabeat

Postby Thorsten » Sun May 30, 2010 6:32 am

Are you eventually going to publish it in GIT?

I suppose so. I've put out a request that the v0.61 which is the latest release is put onto GIT, but apparently that hasn't been done yet - so maybe I'll have to contact one of the people who can write there directly. I'm still working on v0.7 - that is still supposed to get a METAR interface for potentially merging it with real weather fetch - and that experimental version is only given to test pilots (WooT basically, some of the soaring screenshots he posted are from the latest version).
Thorsten

Postby simbabeat » Sun May 30, 2010 4:02 pm

Well it will be appreciated by many people:) So yOu asked on the devel list and it didn't get in?
simbabeat

Postby Thorsten » Sun May 30, 2010 5:01 pm

So yOu asked on the devel list and it didn't get in?

Nothing so drastic - I put the request here in the forum, but apparently no one with access to GIT read it yet or had time. I don't suppose it's a real problem. But please let's not fill this thread with weather discussions - there is another thread for that and also one for weather pictures.
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft