Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Lockheed 1049H Constellation (Beta Release)

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Lockheed 1049H Constellation (Beta Release)

Postby lordhadri » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:02 pm

that happened to me once, I think it has something to do with exceeding altitude / speed limits and fuel mixture.
lordhadri

Postby Buckaroo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:09 pm

durk wrote:Hi,

I would just like to get back to this thread, and inquire how you would feel about including the current state of this aircraft into CVS? I'm asking for a number of reasons: a) This plane has become quite popular in the last months, as exemplified by it's heavy featuring in Multiplayer events, including FSWeekend; b) development appears to have stabilized, and c) we're about to get a new release out before the end of the year, and if it's included in CVS, I could nominate it for inclusion the base selection of aircraft.

Cheers,
Durk

It would be an honor, though I have the same worries others have already mentioned: resolving the 1049H/JSBsim engine FDM issues with CVS FG in time for the release. I had thought to resolve these after the new release is out, but if these issues could be resolved before the release and Yakko (with his vast flight experience with the 1049H) gives his thumbs-up on the engine functionality, then I think we could do it.

There is a new 1049H release in the works that adds/updates a few animations, 'pick' selections on many controls, and some other updates. The main thing I'd like to do is re-work some texture mapping to make life easier for livery-makers and update everything for MP livery, which I can now do after my experience with the Grumman Goose. I may also be able to have some of the overhead communication gear up. But I'm willing to add it to CVS as-is if desired. If that happens I would need to learn how to do that, or work with someone willing and able to do CVS updates for me.
Callsign: Buckaro(o)
Author: Lockheed 1049H Constellation, Grumman Goose, MD-81, Edgley Optica, Velocity XL RG, YASim Guide
Buckaroo

Version: 2.10

Postby _Glitter_ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:55 am

Hi buck! Nice seeing you here! How's yakko? Give him My reguards. As for the 1049, I'll get to flying her, I know you spent countless hours fine tuning her. :wink:
Callsign: Glitter
Favorite Aircraft
Fighter jet: F-14B Tomcat. Props to you "FlyingToaster" and "xiii"
Classic Warbird: P-51 Mustang
Airliner: Super-Connie
_Glitter_

Postby Yakko » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:10 am

You shouldn't be experiencing any engine cut-outs in FG1.9.1 - unless you ascend too high and forget to lean out the mixtures, then the engines will choke out over-rich until you fall back into denser lower-altitude air.

Likewise if you lean out on an ascent and forget to richen up on descent the engines will cut out from over-lean as you descend back into the
denser air.

If you are managing your mixtures correctly and STILL experiencing the problem, something else may be in play - I know QF52 was reporting a glitch of some sort but no one else has been able to duplicate it so that might be something on his FGFS install that is glitchy.
Flying (mostly) the Lockheed Constellation as YAKKO on MPServers :)
Yakko

Callsign: Yakko
Version: 2017.4

Postby durk » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:16 am

Buckaroo wrote:It would be an honor, though I have the same worries others have already mentioned: resolving the 1049H/JSBsim engine FDM issues with CVS FG in time for the release. I had thought to resolve these after the new release is out, but if these issues could be resolved before the release and Yakko (with his vast flight experience with the 1049H) gives his thumbs-up on the engine functionality, then I think we could do it.

Hi Buckaroo,

Of course, as the author of the plane, it's your (and Yakko's) call, but here's my reasoning: In my opinion, this is one of the better crafted planes, and inclusion in CVS would certainly give it wider exposure, and would also give you the potential to draw upon a larger crowd of experts to help resolve the engine problems with the latest JSBSim version. (I'm thinking of Torsten Dryer, who's handled similar issues with the Seneca engines. I'm not enough of an engine expert, but IIRC, both the Seneca and the connie have turbocharged piston engines, so there may be a common problem to solve). FWIW, my own experience with the connie is that for some time during the summer, I've experienced very erratic engine behavior, but after a more recent JSBSim update to flightgear (around october), engine performance is much more stable. Although in cruise, the engines seem to be a bit overpowered. I usually have to throttle back considerably in order to avoid accelerating to 3000kts in no time. Not sure whether that is a problem; maybe these engines are really that powerful? :-)

In any case, I do believe that this aircraft would be a great addition to CVS, even in it's current state. (Oh, and BTW, I'm volunteering to commit it, and commit updates that may follow. :-) ).

Cheers,
Durk
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Postby hovkid » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:15 am

Yakko wrote:You shouldn't be experiencing any engine cut-outs in FG1.9.1 - unless you ascend too high and forget to lean out the mixtures, then the engines will choke out over-rich until you fall back into denser lower-altitude air.

I don't fly prop/piston airliners much, I was at 9000 - 10,000 feet without adjusting mixture.

Should this be happening?,

Thanks,
Hovkid
Fav Airliner - MD81 - Fav Fighter - F4J76 - Fav Light Aircraft - DHC2
hovkid

Callsign: GB-TYER or AA-124

Postby Yakko » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:24 am

It may be possible to stumble up to 10,000 without adjusting mixture, but not likely - usually between 8000 and 9000 you lose the engines. If you're using CVS the cut out points may be different but usually with full rich mixture you won't get quite that high.
Yakko

Postby hovkid » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:29 am

Ok, thanks, I will give this plane another short flight from KJFK to KBWI adjusting the mixture.
Fav Airliner - MD81 - Fav Fighter - F4J76 - Fav Light Aircraft - DHC2
hovkid

Callsign: GB-TYER or AA-124

Postby Tuxklok » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:31 am

hovkid wrote:
Yakko wrote:You shouldn't be experiencing any engine cut-outs in FG1.9.1 - unless you ascend too high and forget to lean out the mixtures, then the engines will choke out over-rich until you fall back into denser lower-altitude air.

I don't fly prop/piston airliners much, I was at 9000 - 10,000 feet without adjusting mixture.

Should this be happening?,

Thanks,
Hovkid

Yes, you have to adjust mixture as you ascend and descend or you will experience these problems. I believe the manual covers this topic, along with the proper methods for getting the mixture just right.

http://ltts.crlt.indiana.edu/grn/flight ... _Guide.pdf

cheers!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby Buckaroo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:40 am

durk wrote:Hi Buckaroo,

Of course, as the author of the plane, it's your (and Yakko's) call, but here's my reasoning: In my opinion, this is one of the better crafted planes, and inclusion in CVS would certainly give it wider exposure, and would also give you the potential to draw upon a larger crowd of experts to help resolve the engine problems with the latest JSBSim version. (I'm thinking of Torsten Dryer, who's handled similar issues with the Seneca engines. I'm not enough of an engine expert, but IIRC, both the Seneca and the connie have turbocharged piston engines, so there may be a common problem to solve). FWIW, my own experience with the connie is that for some time during the summer, I've experienced very erratic engine behavior, but after a more recent JSBSim update to flightgear (around october), engine performance is much more stable. Although in cruise, the engines seem to be a bit overpowered. I usually have to throttle back considerably in order to avoid accelerating to 3000kts in no time. Not sure whether that is a problem; maybe these engines are really that powerful? :-)

In any case, I do believe that this aircraft would be a great addition to CVS, even in it's current state. (Oh, and BTW, I'm volunteering to commit it, and commit updates that may follow. :-) ).

Cheers,
Durk

Howdy Durk, sorry for the delay, I'm not on the forums much.

OK, let's do it. I'd like to fix up a few things first and invite the Connie flight testers to give her a flight check or two, then off to CVS she goes. I'll contact you when she's ready, probably around or shortly after Christmas time when I have a few days off. Cheers and thanks!
Author: Lockheed 1049H Constellation, Grumman Goose, MD-81, Edgley Optica, Velocity XL RG, YASim Guide
Buckaroo

Version: 2.10

Postby Yakko » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:37 am

With the throttles to the max and in level flight at 8000 feet, you should top out around 360-370 knots on the speedo clock. That was the target tuning for the 1.9.1 configuration based on research of real world top speeds, I ended up detuning slightly to around 330-340 max speed because the takeoff power was WAY too strong when then top end was right (I still think the takeoff power is a little strong, but then again I rode in a B17 and THAT thing jumped off the ground like it came out of a slingshot, and a B17 is bascially set up with half the horsepower a Connie had on tap, and that particular aircraft was not using the turbos, so maybe the 1049h in Flightgear is running about
right in takeoff power?). 300 knots should never be hard to attain - you really need to let the autopilot control altitude though because once you get up to about 280 it starts to get a bit unstable, which may explain why even in real life the rated DO NOT EXCEED speed was around 290, even though the propulsion machinery was capable of much more (the older 749 Constellation which saw some service as a transport aircraft in WWII was able to outrun and operate above the max altitude of the Japanese Zero fighter when all the engines were running right).
Yakko

Postby durk » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:17 am

Buckaroo wrote:Howdy Durk, sorry for the delay, I'm not on the forums much.

OK, let's do it. I'd like to fix up a few things first and invite the Connie flight testers to give her a flight check or two, then off to CVS she goes. I'll contact you when she's ready, probably around or shortly after Christmas time when I have a few days off. Cheers and thanks!

No, worries, I'm not a fast responder either. :-) Sounds good. Just drop a note here whenever you feel she's ready.

Cheers,
Durk
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Postby pyromcr » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:29 pm

great looking plane, but i cant get the engines to start... i downloaded the md 81 you have and it is great!
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!
pyromcr

Postby simbabeat » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:30 am

I can't wait to fly this once I get home!
simbabeat

Postby Yakko » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:18 am

You need to follow the proper procedures, not just hit "s" and have it go...it all happens at the engineer's panel like this:

- Turn on the SHIP BATTERY switch
- Click on the starter selection switch to choose which engine to start (if the power is properly turned on the light next to the selector lights up)
- Set all the magnetos to BOTH
- Make sure mixures are at FULL RICH (which is the default setting)
- Then click the silver START button or press the s key to fire it up
- Repeat for the other 3 engines
Yakko

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft