Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

R/C Ducted Fan

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

R/C Ducted Fan

Postby RollnThndr » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:12 pm

Hi,

I'd like to do some experimenting with small radio controlled size aircraft in FlightGear and was wondering what the best approach would be to simulate an electric ducted fan setup.

Fan example: http://www.highendrc.com/index_eproduct ... ucts_id=20

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks.
RollnThndr

Postby ajm » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:03 pm

I'd suggest playing with YASim for that sort of thing... have a look at the harrier or Su-37 configuration as an example, both of which simulate the same sort of thing if I understand you correctly.

YASim "thrusters" are what you want to investigate, I think... also see README.yasim which should be in the Docs directory of your flightgear install.

Cheers,

AJ
ajm

Postby RollnThndr » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:47 pm

ajm wrote:I'd suggest playing with YASim for that sort of thing... have a look at the harrier or Su-37 configuration as an example, both of which simulate the same sort of thing if I understand you correctly.

YASim "thrusters" are what you want to investigate, I think... also see README.yasim which should be in the Docs directory of your flightgear install.

Cheers,

AJ

Thanks AJ. I've read through the README.yasim file as well as downloaded the Harrier model and looked over the xml files. This may work, I'll do some testing. Is there any more yasim docmentation somewhere other than the README.ysim file? Like a website or other document? The reason I ask is that 'Thrusters" are not mentioned at all in the readme file. I'd like to look into yasim in a little more detail.

Thanks again...
RollnThndr

Postby ajm » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:33 pm

README.yasim is supposed to be the definitive documentation for yasim, AFAIK.

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember the lack of documentation on thrusters from before... I don't think there's much more to them than the harrier config shows, but I'll mention it to Andy on IRC anyway.

Cheers,

AJ
ajm

Postby ajm » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:42 pm

Just for the record; Andy updated readme.yasim in CVS with a section on thrusters last night.

Cheers,
AJ
ajm

Postby RollnThndr » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:48 pm

ajm wrote:Just for the record; Andy updated readme.yasim in CVS with a section on thrusters last night.

Cheers,
AJ

Awesome, thanks to the both of you!
RollnThndr

Return to Aircraft